Kicking for goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Kicking for goal

For heavens sake !

Saintly66
Club Player

Re: Kicking for goal

Need to get someone down to the club and show these guys how to kick, I'd be getting Heatley.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Park football standard - disgraceful.

saintfox
Club Player

Surely the club need a goal kicking coach, how many games do we keep our opponents in.
Sav rocca has done a great job with levi at Carlton. Surely we can get someone down to the club.

Be the best you can ... If not have fun trying....
saint6709
Club Player

The other teams have got wind of a special magic trick that is responsible for most of our set shot misses - they somehow manage to be magically 2 metres behind the mark when we go into kick and then run up to the mark when we are kicking - leaving our guys having to screw the ball to miss the man on the mark - I think the other teams have employed the services of David Copperfield to assist in the goal distraction technique - for some reason we have not been able to secure the services of Mr Copperfield and have not been able to discover his secrets

shrodes
SS Life Member

saint6709 wrote:The other teams have got wind of a special magic trick that is responsible for most of our set shot misses - they somehow manage to be magically 2 metres behind the mark when we go into kick and then run up to the mark when we are kicking - leaving our guys having to screw the ball to miss the man on the mark - I think the other teams have employed the services of David Copperfield to assist in the goal distraction technique - for some reason we have not been able to secure the services of Mr Copperfield and have not been able to discover his secrets
We did it too today... it seems to be a pretty widely used thing this year among all teams.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote:Need to get someone down to the club and show these guys how to kick, I'd be getting Heatley.
Yep, something definitely needs to change. Those sports scientists or training services people can bugger off. Bring in Heater, Buckets or the G-Train and teach them how to kick a six pointer FFS!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
saint6709 wrote:The other teams have got wind of a special magic trick that is responsible for most of our set shot misses - they somehow manage to be magically 2 metres behind the mark when we go into kick and then run up to the mark when we are kicking - leaving our guys having to screw the ball to miss the man on the mark - I think the other teams have employed the services of David Copperfield to assist in the goal distraction technique - for some reason we have not been able to secure the services of Mr Copperfield and have not been able to discover his secrets
We did it too today... it seems to be a pretty widely used thing this year among all teams.
LOOK where the umpire sets the mark instead of turning your back, mark a spot on the ground far enough away from the mark so it doesn't get smothered, pick a target in the crowd (there is an actual target in the crowd) and then kick the friggin goal. You're full time footballers and a football game is usually one by the side that kicks the most goals. We kick 19-14 instead of 14-19 and its a one sided affair. :x

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Not only that, they are kicking the ball in an indoor stadium with virtually no wind to contend with.

Just not good enough!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jason Heatley

Since when is he a kicking coach, last I heard he was a drunk who liked to punt?

Yeah, he'd be great?!

When is everyone going to understand.... great players coaching doesn't translate to their players becoming great?!
Essendon wasted money on Lloyd who coached Daniher for a month, and then he kicked 0.6
And they gave him the arse

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Surprised and happy whenever it actually goes through the big sticks these days.

st.rod
Club Player

They should put their boots on the wrong feet. Couldn't do any worse! :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

Poor kicking is poor football- nothing has changed. We do have a coach don't we?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As soon as we (or our opponents) get a shot on goal, on rush our army of runners to do goodness only knows what: deliver energy drinks, confusing advice, etc, all of which could surely wait until the next bench rotation. While this is going on, the guy taking the kick nervously glances back and forth between the shot clock and the goal posts until the 30 seconds is up and then runs in for his kick.

I don't get to enough live games to observe the practice of other clubs, but the GC didn't do this as religiously as us last night. Anyway, even if it's common practice, it clearly isn't working for some of our guys, who are getting too much time to get nervous and are getting distracted by looking at the shot clock all the time.

So, Richo, in the unlikely event you are reading this post, here's an idea. For a game of two, tell the guys: when taking a set shot, you can forget about running down the shot clock. Just focus on the shot, stand there until you feel ready, run in and shoot.

Just a thought.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

At the members forum last week a member stood up and stated he could easily fix our goal kicking woes and that everyone at the club had ignored him. He said he could win us a flag.

It was a cringe worthy but slightly funny moment. I say, lets talk to him.

PS Alan Richardson said he Would talk him.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jason Heatley

Since when is he a kicking coach, last I heard he was a drunk who liked to punt?

Yeah, he'd be great?!

When is everyone going to understand.... great players coaching doesn't translate to their players becoming great?!
Essendon wasted money on Lloyd who coached Daniher for a month, and then he kicked 0.6
And they gave him the arse
Yep your 100% correct lets do nothing about it and move on kicking 9-15 each week.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Jason Heatley was a good kick for goal for the same reason that Tony Lockett, Peter McKenna and Peter Hudson were - the drop distance was minimal and the leg swing was aimed at the the centre of the goal (but even they missed, all with a less than 70% success rate - to be fair to them, wind played a larger role in those days). The first of these has a lot to do with the physical characteristics of the player i.e. how far they can bend forward whilst kicking to "place " the ball on the boot. This is very difficult to change - Nick R is not designed to be able to do it, and has a large drop on a set shot, but not on a sideways screw which is why he seems more comfortable on the boundary rather than dead in front. Getting someone who could kick to teach others their style is a bit of a waste of time. However, the leg swing can be moderated. As I have said many times, the main reason players miss is that they kick the ball in the wrong direction. So why would a player kick the ball to the points? Good question, but they do. Various means have been used to correct this - the most successful being the mark on the ground. But they really need two marks about a metre a part to ensure that the leg swing is in line with the centre of the goal. Some players seem to be able to "imagine" this line and others don't. A kicking-for-goal coach ( do we have one?) should design a different program for every player after careful photo analysis of the kicking mechanism of the player using bio mechanical techniques. It would be nice to know if the Saints do this or just let players "practice", which really means reinforcing any technical errors.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the boys are stuffed when they finally get a shot at goal?

Do they have to run more than other sides to mark inside 50???

It's not as simple as just poor technique, as it's not just isolated to one player.

IMO our gameplan has a side effect and this is it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jason Heatley

This made me LOL

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:At the members forum last week a member stood up and stated he could easily fix our goal kicking woes and that everyone at the club had ignored him. He said he could win us a flag.

It was a cringe worthy but slightly funny moment. I say, lets talk to him.

PS Alan Richardson said he Would talk him.
Interesting. Wonder who that was and what his fix would be.

To me, practicing set shots isn't enough. They have to practice the right mechanics.

Only the best of techniques will stand up to pressure. There are many players who kick great in general play, but yip set shots as a matter of course. Especially the near "gimmes".

A set routine is important along with some key thoughts, like "kick through the ball".

I hope the club has someone with a trained eye studying their actions.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

IN my brief coaching career, I was frustrated with a young player who couldn't kick straight from 20m out. To simplify it I told him to merely walk in the direction he wanted to kick the ball then concentrate on kicking a good drop punt. Don't worry about whether it goes through, just kick it in the direction you're walking and make sure you get good connection so that it spins well.

Believe it or not he started kicking goals. Particularly the goals we expected him to kick, ie 30m in front of goalwith a 20 degree arc either way. All this talk about biomeachanics etc confuses players. I saw Roo a few years ago lower his ball drop and it changed nothing. A guy like Roo has always been a beautiful kick and it always frustrated to me to see him miss easy shots. If Stewey Loewe could correct his goal kicking with the most horrendous kicking technique ever, then anyone can.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Moods wrote:IN my brief coaching career, I was frustrated with a young player who couldn't kick straight from 20m out. To simplify it I told him to merely walk in the direction he wanted to kick the ball then concentrate on kicking a good drop punt. Don't worry about whether it goes through, just kick it in the direction you're walking and make sure you get good connection so that it spins well.

Believe it or not he started kicking goals. Particularly the goals we expected him to kick, ie 30m in front of goalwith a 20 degree arc either way. All this talk about biomeachanics etc confuses players. I saw Roo a few years ago lower his ball drop and it changed nothing. A guy like Roo has always been a beautiful kick and it always frustrated to me to see him miss easy shots. If Stewey Loewe could correct his goal kicking with the most horrendous kicking technique ever, then anyone can.
You know, with all the highly credentialled coaches talking mumbo jumbo and cliches,
you've hit on something really important- they are overthinking a fairly simple technique
and making it harder than it has to be.
When these players were in juniors, I'm sure they would ice most shots with no problems.
Get back to the basics and keep it bloody simple.
Very well put, sir

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember when players who couldn't kick properly for goal went back to the 2nds!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I remember when players who couldn't kick properly for goal went back to the 2nds!
Coming soon to a TBBO near you - The St Kilda Football team!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Moods wrote:IN my brief coaching career, I was frustrated with a young player who couldn't kick straight from 20m out. To simplify it I told him to merely walk in the direction he wanted to kick the ball then concentrate on kicking a good drop punt. Don't worry about whether it goes through, just kick it in the direction you're walking and make sure you get good connection so that it spins well.

I've played a little bit of golf, and I used to have a bad habit of lifting my head as soon as I struck the ball-
I wanted to see it in flight to see if I'd hit it right.
OK. Which meant I always sliced the damn thing or hit it into the trees. Every time.
I decided to try to keep my head down, count to 5 (and swing on number 3) then and only then, look up. It worked miracles.

Keep it simple and just go with the basics

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee