Paddy Concussed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy Concussed

SMS wrote:Paddy has shown glimpses of brilliance and theres no doibt a gun footy player. BUT he is not a MODERN FOOTY PLAYER. Has not got the right body shape for it. Hipwood, Cameron, Wright, Daniher, Lynch - these are key forwards - close to 200cm, slim agile endurance beasts. NOT 194cm stocky. So wrong.
But apart from Wright, none of those guys were available when McCartin was drafted. So I don't understand the point?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
SMS wrote:Paddy has shown glimpses of brilliance and theres no doibt a gun footy player. BUT he is not a MODERN FOOTY PLAYER. Has not got the right body shape for it. Hipwood, Cameron, Wright, Daniher, Lynch - these are key forwards - close to 200cm, slim agile endurance beasts. NOT 194cm stocky. So wrong.
But apart from Wright, none of those guys were available when McCartin was drafted. So I don't understand the point?
You draft a different player/type of player?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Please don't mention Lockett and McCartin in the same sentence, post, thread, forum please

Lockett was 21 in 1987

Not sure Paddy will kick a hundred this season, win the b&f, the Brownlow or even play much more senior footy this year.

Lockett was fat, yes
But he wasn't slow!
When it comes to the reading of the ball in flight, I will compare Paddy to Plugger any day of the week. Doesn't mean I'm saying Paddy's as good as Lockett in fact nobody is.

Lockett as great as he was, wouldn't find it so easy to kick a hundred in today's footy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
The point is we didnt need to use number 1 on him. He was too risky.

None of those other blokes were number 1s.

If we wanted a key fwd there are other ways to get them.

PIck 1 isnt the only way to get a gun key fwd.

There seems to be some myth on here that you have to use pick 1 on a key or the only way to get a key fwd is via pick 1.

Lets have a look around the AFL right now:

Lance - pick 5
Kennedy - pick 4
Walker - Pick 75 (zoned pick)
Riewoldt, J - pick 13
Daniher - pick 10 (fs)
Ben Brown - pick 47
Eric Hipwood - pick 14 (zoned pick)

Nobody said - Oh saints you have pick 1 - you HAVE to use it on a key fwd!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
BigMart wrote:Please don't mention Lockett and McCartin in the same sentence, post, thread, forum please

Lockett was 21 in 1987

Not sure Paddy will kick a hundred this season, win the b&f, the Brownlow or even play much more senior footy this year.

Lockett was fat, yes
But he wasn't slow!
When it comes to the reading of the ball in flight, I will compare Paddy to Plugger any day of the week. Doesn't mean I'm saying Paddy's as good as Lockett in fact nobody is.

Lockett as great as he was, wouldn't find it so easy to kick a hundred in today's footy.
My god you have lost lost any shred of credibility you may have had.

Lockett was very quick. Locket was very strong. Lockett was super agile. Most of the time Locket would have the mark spoilt but would keep his feet, collect the ball from the ground, dodge a player, break a tackle and kick a goal from a snap. That was his bread and butter.

If Paddy has a mark spoilt he usually falls over and takes 1 minute to get back up. He then stands there watching as the opposition run the ball out of defence.

Any Lockett-Paddy comparison should be humiliating for the person making it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:At least we have Billings. He's the real DEAL!
So we should. If you get pick 1 and 3 you should get 2 guns.

Melbourne completely stuffed up with Trengove and Watts but they learnt their lesson and now have Petracca, Hogan AND Oliver.

Brayshaw may also end up being a bust.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Paddy and Goddard are looking disastrous. I think we need to face it.

I think Elshaugh might need to be shown the door.
You mean Goddard the young bloke who ruptured his Achilles playing AFL footy seniors is also a bust? My god please don't ever read the news.
Yes. Goddard. Too slow.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Lockett was 21 in 1987

Lockett was fat, yes
But he wasn't slow!

My god you have lost lost any shred of credibility you may have had.

Lockett was very quick. Locket was very strong. Lockett was super agile. Most of the time Locket would have the mark spoilt but would keep his feet, collect the ball from the ground, dodge a player, break a tackle and kick a goal from a snap. That was his bread and butter.

If Paddy has a mark spoilt he usually falls over and takes 1 minute to get back up. He then stands there watching as the opposition run the ball out of defence.

Any Lockett-Paddy comparison should be humiliating for the person making it.
Did you read my comment carefully? I'm comparing their reading of the ball in flight, nothing else.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Hogan kicked 7 goals against us in Rd 6 last year. Aged 21 years 2 months.

Paddy is so far off this it isnt funny.
Hogan has played 4 games for only 9 goals this year?
You do realise that is over 2 goals a game right?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Paddy v Petracca is the actual issue.
Look at Melbourne.
Trengove and Brayshaw are both busts for top 3 picks.

You don't get all your pics right.
They had lots and lots of top picks.
Watts, Salem, Tyson, Oliver, Hogan and Petracca.

The issue is we actually didn't have many top picks.
We didn't actually get that much higher end talent in.
We over rated our position and tried to rise too soon.

I think aiming for finals this year is pointless.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 25 Jun 2017 1:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes what we want to happen and what will happen are not one and the same?

Lots of people with their fingers crossed, convincing themselves not sure you should have to cross your fingers with a top 5 pick.

BTW
Shot at goal
Is that a new stat, is there a reason we don't care about efficiency... or doesn't that help you the argument

How about just call it for what it is
Petracca 13 effective disposals and 1.4 goals per game
McCartin 7 effective disposals and 1.0 goals per game

CP is ahead on nearly every measure by heaps... is that so hard to swallow

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What's wrong with the Brayshaw pick?

He showed plenty in his first year to suggest he will be a gun. He is recovering from serious injury like many others do.

Has paddy shown as much as him
Good game vs Melb (9marks)
Good quarter vs Richmond
Two good marks vs Collingwood and Hawthorn
1 Good pre season game
And 4 good VFL games (out of about 12-15)

spert
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope Paddy recovers OK, but from my experiences with concussion, I was worried that after Paddy's last knock to the head, then the next one would be the end of it for him at AFL level, and his welfare is the most important thing. I would be surprised if the medicos let him play again this season.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

And on and on it goes, the never-ending SS obsession with the draft process. Even horse breeding enthusiasts pay more attention to the actual races!

Big, season-defining game on tonight, and the only lively thread on here is another instalment in the never-ending Paddy vs CP debate.

This is going to shock some of you, but, if Paddy can't go on or never becomes a star, I'll feel incredibly sorry for him, but otherwise not at all bothered. Marshall or Battle or some other rookie might turn out to be a gun. What goes round comes round, etc

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:And on and on it goes, the never-ending SS obsession with the draft process. Even horse breeding enthusiasts pay more attention to the actual races!

Big, season-defining game on tonight, and the only lively thread on here is another instalment in the never-ending Paddy vs CP debate.

This is going to shock some of you, but, if Paddy can't go on or never becomes a star, I'll feel incredibly sorry for him, but otherwise not at all bothered. Marshall or Battle or some other rookie might turn out to be a gun. What goes round comes round, etc
Great post MB. Just logged on, assumed the 7 pages expressed concern for Paddy and his playing future, but instead at least 4 pages of another bloody "what if" thread.

FFS. It's 2017.

Go Saints. Big game today.

Always loyal
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:And on and on it goes, the never-ending SS obsession with the draft process. Even horse breeding enthusiasts pay more attention to the actual races!

Too much common sense for one post, you have exceeded the allowable quota! :oops:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What's wrong with the Brayshaw pick?

He showed plenty in his first year to suggest he will be a gun. He is recovering from serious injury like many others do.

Has paddy shown as much as him
Good game vs Melb (9marks)
Good quarter vs Richmond
Two good marks vs Collingwood and Hawthorn
1 Good pre season game
And 4 good VFL games (out of about 12-15)
I am unconvinced on Brayshaw.
Seems a bit like Dunstan imo.
May have peaked early.
Dunstan was a star in his first season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Maybe if the coach backed Paddy he wouldn't be trying too hard and trying to do the impossible in the magoos. I'm so pi55ed off that Paddy McCartin is not playing seniors. If he was fit enough to be playing with the Zebs he should have been in the team today. Ross Lyon failed to play our youth and we lost Tom Lynch and delayed the development of a few others.

Joey and his best mate got their noses out of joint because Scott Watters was interested in a new look Saints "team" that he could fast track and develop into a finals outfit. Some of that young talent that got opportunities under Watters is now starring in the team like Jack Steven, Seb Ross, Jack Newnes and Jimmy Webster. If you want to move forward you have to play the youngsters. We have to focus on giving our talented players opportunities.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 25 Jun 2017 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately Paddy is a dumb footballer. You don't put your head where it's going to get knocked off especially 5 times in the last year. When is he going to f****** learn! Smart footballers don't get multiple concussions.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Maybe if the coach backed Paddy he wouldn't be trying too hard and trying to do the impossible in the magoos. I'm so pi55ed off that Paddy McCartin is not playing seniors. If he was fit enough to be playing with the Zebs he should have been in the team today. Ross Lyon failed to play our youth and we lost Tom Lynch and delayed the development of a few others.

Joey and his best mate got their noses out of joint because Scott Watters was interested in a new look Saints "team" that he could fast track and develop into a finals outfit. Some of that young talent that debuted under Watters is now starring in the team like Jack Steven, Seb Ross, Jack Newnes and Jimmy Webster. If you want to move forward you have to play the youngsters. We have to focus on giving our talented players opportunities.
Watters at least had a big picture for development and put a good structure in place exactly to get the young guys up and ready quickly, and some of the older guys would have been moved on for this to happen, but over the last few years, it just seems to be a matter of who Richo reckons is worth a game, and that's why we see the revolving doors with players in and out of the team with no obvious steps being taken- Seb is coming along, as is Billings but jeez, too many players are treading water. I would need to see us obliterate the GC to be convinced that we are taking a step forward.

RODOS
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: I'm sure RODOS is an acronym for
"Regardless Of Deficiencies- Optimistically Stupid"
buuurrrn

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Poor Paddy!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Unfortunately Paddy is a dumb footballer. You don't put your head where it's going to get knocked off especially 5 times in the last year. When is he going to f****** learn! Smart footballers don't get multiple concussions.
Really???? Jonathan Brown had too many to count, one of the smartest footballers I've ever seen. Maybe it has more to do with bravery and single mindedness to go after the footy regardless of whats coming at you

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Unfortunately Paddy is a dumb footballer. You don't put your head where it's going to get knocked off especially 5 times in the last year. When is he going to f****** learn! Smart footballers don't get multiple concussions.
Really???? Jonathan Brown had too many to count, one of the smartest footballers I've ever seen. Maybe it has more to do with bravery and single mindedness to go after the footy regardless of whats coming at you
He certainly isn't a patch on Brown

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A lot of Browns were amazing courage or just collision from extreme attack on the pill

Paddy has at least three times just been poor technique
Yesterday was awful technique

Also Brown was knocked out 3-5 times in his career
Over 200 games

Paddy
5 times in 20-30

Extrapolate
That would be 30-40 times in 200