Paddy Concussed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy Concussed

Is it time to defy current AFL thinking that a player must be all things, and play him as a stay at home forward - it wont take long for opposition coaches to react and leave one of their players in the forward 50 with him. Therefore both teams will only have 17 all rounders.

Maybe play him like we would play Lockett if he was a current player - out of the freaking goal square - not in the centre square.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You think it's funny when a player gets concussed?
I think it's funny or veiled negative swipes at Paddy.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Q1 against Richmond last year. Playing on Rance before he broke his collarbone. Looked every bit like he was going to tear the game up. He is far from talentless IMO, but we haven't really had a great look at him over an extended period to see it emerge.
Ok. Thanks for the genuine answer. I appreciate that.
Normally I just get abused :D .

He did some show some good signs early. I was at that Hawks game in Launie last year and he looked good then.
But sheesh this year has been a real worry.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:Is it time to defy current AFL thinking that a player must be all things, and play him as a stay at home forward - it wont take long for opposition coaches to react and leave one of their players in the forward 50 with him. Therefore both teams will only have 17 all rounders.

Maybe play him like we would play Lockett if he was a current player - out of the freaking goal square - not in the centre square.
Lockett was so good he actually could and did play midfield from time to time in short bursts.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Should never have been playing there

To the top
SS Life Member

What beats me on this forum is the number who comment as they do on our young players with talent but laud our average players

McCartin is a player who is the future of St Kilda

If you look at the Sandringham side, and particularly the backline as named with "top up" players and recruits to AFL from overseas codes, what do you expect?

Sandringham is the side our young talent get experience with - nothing more and nothing less

Results are of no consequence

The interest is in players consistently knocking the door down for Senior election - and the progress of Freeman coming back from injury

carn_sainter
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:Is it time to defy current AFL thinking that a player must be all things, and play him as a stay at home forward - it wont take long for opposition coaches to react and leave one of their players in the forward 50 with him. Therefore both teams will only have 17 all rounders.

I agree. We need this for the sake of team structure and gol scoring capacity, rather than for the sake of McCartin's development.

Here's what I think should be McCartin's role and development
carn_sainter wrote:Paddy should be trained like a sprinter anyway.

To me, the problem isn't leanness, it's lack of power, lack of ability to repeat effort sprint and lack of strength. One could be good at all of these and also carrying an extra few % body fat. There have been plenty of powerful, fast FAT footballers, far fatter than Paddy is, who have done alright.

I really hope he is not being trained as a Josh Bruce or Riewoldt Mk II because he won't ever be. Work with his body as it naturally is - Big, strong, a bit of padding - and improve those strengths.

He's no fatter than Jesse Hogan, for example.
But another concussion is a serious, serious setback.

Physically, of course.

But the vultures are circling now, psychologically. Within Paddy and Saints fans too, but in the media they are going to feast on this. The psychological setback is bigger than the physical one. The tag of failure, stuff-up, mistake and all such words will be very firmly stuck to the man now - and will be hard to replace.

Lastly, we need to stop calling it bad luck. Clearly there are severe problems of technique, awareness, decision making and use of the body which haven't been addressed. He has the highest concussion per game of any player ever. How many contests has Roo been in per concussion compared to McCartin?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hogan kicked 7 goals against us in Rd 6 last year. Aged 21 years 2 months.

Paddy is so far off this it isnt funny.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 24 Jun 2017 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Should retire immediately. Seriously. Head injuries are no joke.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hogan kicked 7 goals against us in Rd 6 last year. Aged 21 years 2 months.

That's what I'm saying. Hogan's a bit fat, probably more so than Paddy, and it isn't stopping him.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The "Doc" said he would have played Plugger at centre Half Forward if it was'nt for his asthma. Again, our coaching on game day puzzles me. I agree that Paddy should be made to stay at home more, although he is quite handy around the ground.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Has he ever played well for more than a half? He is still CLEARLY unfit!! I've never seen an AFL footballer in this decade look more like a suburban or country footballer!

Today against inferior opposition, he was in 4 contests

3 times he was outpointed by a no name undersized VFL listed defender and once he KOd himself

He was slow as treacle, his body language horrible and looked disinterested
I would bet that he is elswhere next year and has checked out mentally... he is so slow he can't even chase VFL defenders with any effectiveness

He is a 2013 Kosi without the height or kicking skills

BTW
The incident happened 3 metres in front of me, and it was obvious he made a meal of it, the coburg player did nothing wrong, basically Paddy head butted him... who the f*** leads with their head?!

Danny Frawley was bemused about why he was so clumsy...

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
BigMart wrote:Technique
You've seen the incident, I haven't. When you say technique, did it appear that it was just a matter of poor technique? If so, you have to wonder who's teaching him.

Or was the poor technique due to a kid trying too hard? Trying to get back into a team he should've been in anyway.

I'm not one who thinks we shouldn't have drafted him with Pick 1. I reckon the kid is a jet. My concern is the way we're developing him. He needs senior games and in succession.
Do you think he is a jet based on actual observation and actual attributes or just his draft pick #?

Genuine question. I am not trying to pick a fight or be a smart alec.

I just genuinely want to know what it is that people see in him - leaving the draft pick # out of it.
Just pretend he was pick 24.
What I've seen.

Elite reading the ball in flight, not suggesting that he or anyone are as good as Lockett, however his reading of the ball in flight reminds me of Lockett's.

Beautiful soft hands, don't worry about a few nervous dropped marks, he won't drop many in the long term.

Elite field kick, meaning kicking for goal should come. Then again you would have thought the same with Riewoldt.

Is really quick minded in tight and has some tricks like Joe Daniher. We'll see more of that as he grows in confidence and fitness, as we have with Joe Daniher.

Everyone is pegging him as slow, that may be the case. However, I've seen some really quick off the mark leads from him (quick mind). Particularly against Geelong last year, don't recall that he impacted the scoreboard much, but he had the Geelong defence in all sorts of bother with his leading.

And when he grows up he will be a monster to boot.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Please don't mention Lockett and McCartin in the same sentence, post, thread, forum please

Lockett was 21 in 1987

Not sure Paddy will kick a hundred this season, win the b&f, the Brownlow or even play much more senior footy this year.

Lockett was fat, yes
But he wasn't slow!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BigMart wrote:Has he ever played well for more than a half? He is still CLEARLY unfit!! I've never seen an AFL footballer in this decade look more like a suburban or country footballer!

3 times he was outpointed by a no name undersized VFL listed defender and once he KOd himself

I would bet that he is elswhere next year and has checked out mentally... he is so slow he can't even chase VFL defenders with any effectiveness

BTW
The incident happened 3 metres in front of me, and it was obvious he made a meal of it, the coburg player did nothing wrong, basically Paddy head butted him... who the f*** leads with their head?!

I have highlighted something above.

My loungeroom is about 5.5m x 5.5m

there's a pic of Paddy being tended to.
Josh Battle #36 is about 3m away, R Connellan #62 is about 10m away.

You were about 3m away?
https://twitter.com/ozrobbo/status/8784 ... 48/photo/1

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Has he ever played well for more than a half? He is still CLEARLY unfit!! I've never seen an AFL footballer in this decade look more like a suburban or country footballer!

BTW

You are full of rubbish why do you lie.

<warning for baiting>

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

can somebody show me how to include a pic in my post?
I had to do the URL with a hyperlink for a pic,

I see other posters putting pics in their posts

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

when he broke the collarbone against Tigers, he looked like he had his head over the ball,
and I thought he actually gave away a free because it looked like he headbutted the Tiger player

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Hogan kicked 7 goals against us in Rd 6 last year. Aged 21 years 2 months.

That's what I'm saying. Hogan's a bit fat, probably more so than Paddy, and it isn't stopping him.

Yes. Because Hogan is actually a good footballer.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Connellan is on the bench, I'm on the left side of the pick against the fence... only metres from the play

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What am I lying about?

The fact I was there

That I was standing next to Spud

It happened right on front of the coaches box

Not sure why I'd lie, or why you'd accuse someone of that when you have no evidence of such a thing?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Connellan is on the bench, I'm on the left side of the pick against the fence... only metres from the play
Connellan appears to be 10m from Paddy
and he seems to be on a HFF flank in that pick from the Zebs timekeeper Mike Robinson
I understand that you were on the fence next to Danny, but just that Paddy's on his back about 35m from the fence.
Jus sayin'

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What am I lying about?

The fact I was there

Not sure why I'd lie, or why you'd accuse someone of that when you have no evidence of such a thing?
The rubbish you post about Paddy what is it did he kick a bag on you or something? You simply just lie.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
BigMart wrote:What am I lying about?

The fact I was there

The rubbish you post about Paddy what is it did he kick a bag on you or something? You simply just lie.
stop playing the man.
At least BigMart went to the game and gave us some important info about Steele/Freezer/Marshall
Some of us appreciate the effort
( I live in Perth so Linen House is a bit of a hike for me, I can't go)