Paddy Concussed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Re: Paddy Concussed

Looks like not picking Petracca could cost us a flag. Just like not picking Judd in 02.
Good luck to Paddy in Life.
Recruiters shoud be stood down and replaced immediately. How you could possibly look over Petracca
screams total idiocy and incompetence.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Paddy and Goddard are looking disastrous. I think we need to face it.

I think Elshaugh might need to be shown the door.
You mean Goddard the young bloke who ruptured his Achilles playing AFL footy seniors is also a bust? My god please don't ever read the news.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Looks like not picking Petracca could cost us a flag. Just like not picking Judd in 02.
Recruiters shoud be stood down and replaced immediately. How you could possibly look over Petracca
Lol Pettracca nearly cost Melbourne the game last night with his selfishness.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

My concern is for Paddy's future and he is getting concussed too often. It isn't a go at anyone, just a medical fact. I even gave him some praise for his game against Adelaide because he started showing something again.
But the fact is that he has had multiple concussions snd for his own safety it might be time to pursue something else.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
stonecold
SS Life Member

No worries Jaffa, fair point, I'll support everyone then, but if Hughie had a different Surname, he would have struggled to be picked up, that's my point!!!!!

As for referring to me as 'little fella', makes no sense at all, given I stand 196cm, but go for your life, if that's what floats your boat, Ol matey!!!!!

As for keys in the bowl, I thought you were a Jaffa, not an Mm!!!!!

And it's tCCS, not TCCS!!!!!

Have a lovey day, see you at the Carpark!!!!! ;-)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Hind sight is 20/20 and I have no problem with picking Paddy even though it has not worked. We needed to fill our forward line pronto with Roo coming to the end of his career and no other star forwards up front. Dont kid yourself that Bruce or Membry are going to be great. They are good and that is about it. That isn't a knock on them as every team needs journeymen but they will not be stars. So we have a choice of a key forward rookie that is dominating in his age or a mid doing the same. There are a lot more mids each year in the draft than key forwards so we made the call.

I do believe that Paddy is not afl level, not close. I would have left him in the vfl until he is killing it. One good game against a terrible team does not make a whole season. He's skills are sub par, he is unfit and is not overly great at set shots. Leave him in the VFL unless we get an injury, as pumping games into him at AFL isn't actually helping him. He is not getting better at AFL level.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CURLY wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
Listen to yourself and think about what your posting. If Paddy didn't go at one he would have gone two. 18 AFL clubs plus every draft expert thought that before the draft. Paddy displays every trait a key forward needs to succeed he just needs game time and continual games. He hasn't magically lost his ability, smarts or any of the other aspects of his game that made him a clear top two in the draft.
How does anyone actually know this?
Have you surveyed all other 17 clubs?
This is just urban myth. Probably spread as PR spin by our own club.
It certainly hasnt been verified.
The truth is none us have any idea what the other 17 clubs truly, privately thought.

But dont let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Every report we read or heard had it down to Paddy or Pettracca let's no rewrite history to make your opinion have merit. Like I posted he's lost none of the traits that got him there just needs games.
Most had Brayshaw ahead of Petracca.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Paddy and Goddard are looking disastrous. I think we need to face it.

I think Elshaugh might need to be shown the door.
You mean Goddard the young bloke who ruptured his Achilles playing AFL footy seniors is also a bust? My god please don't ever read the news.
Brayshaw has played 2 games this year due to concussions, and Petracca has missed an entire year through injury already.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hogan kicked 7 goals against us in Rd 6 last year. Aged 21 years 2 months.

Paddy is so far off this it isnt funny.
Hogan has played 4 games for only 9 goals this year?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Petracca averages 18 touches, 4.4 marks and 1.8 shots at goals this year as a mid/forward.

McCartin averages 12 touches, 4.6 marks and 2.8 shots at goal.

SMS
Club Player

Paddy has shown glimpses of brilliance and theres no doibt a gun footy player. BUT he is not a MODERN FOOTY PLAYER. Has not got the right body shape for it. Hipwood, Cameron, Wright, Daniher, Lynch - these are key forwards - close to 200cm, slim agile endurance beasts. NOT 194cm stocky. So wrong.
NOT TO MENTION HAS DIABETES. FFS how could we stuff ip so bad? Yeah lets build our forwardline around a medium sized forward/tall midfielder

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Some tip-top analysis on here. Apparently all we needed to win a flag is to have drafted Petracca back in 2014. It's that simple!

Why do we bother with coaches, getting the players to train, etc, etc: it's all done at the draft table.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Petracca averages 18 touches, 4.4 marks and 1.8 shots at goals this year as a mid/forward.

And what about comparisons to Judd?

Ridiculous!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Looks like not picking Petracca could cost us a flag. Just like not picking Judd in 02.
Lol Pettracca nearly cost Melbourne the game last night with his selfishness.
At least he is playing.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Trolls out in force...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

At some stage we might have to stop being so defense and come to the realization that Paddy and Hugh could quite easily be a bust. Will be shattering for our club, but stop pretending it's not a very good chance.

Ask anyone ourside st Kilda and they will tell you Petracca is going to be a gun. Ask them about Paddy anf Hugh and you wont like like the answer. What we want and what we get might not align.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:At some stage we might have to stop being so defense and come to the realization that Paddy and Hugh could quite easily be a bust.
Agree.

But anyone with an ounce of footballing common sense will tell you that that stage isn't now. And it won't be for quite a while yet.

Thinking you've come to a realisation about a large footballer before they've played 50 games is just ludicrous. Yet footy fans do it time and time again, and just never learn.

saint-stu
Club Player

Wow. It wasn't long ago and the usual suspects were talking trash about JB. Seems we're OK with him now.

Next time Paddy has a good game (and he will), let's see you come on here and tell is how fat, slow and untalented he is. It won't happen though.

Paddy needs some luck and continuity. Whenever players have a break out year, when asked what they put it down to, they invariably say "I has a full preseason for the first time". Paddy just needs to take more care of himself on the field and he will be fine.

1ac46a38
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Wow. It wasn't long ago and the usual suspects were talking trash about JB. Seems we're OK with him now.
Having concerns or reservations about a player is fine.

Blindly 'backing' a player simply because he wears a Saints jumper is ridiculous.

I have concerns and reservations about plenty of players - and some of them I simply don't rate at all.

So I don't have the slightest issue with people not rating McCartin's output and with some not thinking he'll be any good.

I disagree though.

And I'm yet to see an argument by those that don't rate him that changes my mind that his output is not that bad currently anyway, and that he won't be a really good player when he develops and matures.

I also disagree on the 'we made a huge error by picking him at no. 1' argument too.

Mainly, because the guy who went at no. 2 has already missed a year of footy and only averages 6 more touches than McCartin, and the guy that went at 3 barely plays at all. So I think it's way too early to be making the call on whether he was a mistake at no. 1, and I think it's way too early to suggest he won't be a gun footballer as he gets older and more experienced.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Paddy has shown glimpses of brilliance and theres no doibt a gun footy player. BUT he is not a MODERN FOOTY PLAYER. Has not got the right body shape for it. Hipwood, Cameron, Wright, Daniher, Lynch - these are key forwards - close to 200cm, slim agile endurance beasts. NOT 194cm stocky. So wrong.
NOT TO MENTION HAS DIABETES. FFS how could we stuff ip so bad? Yeah lets build our forwardline around a medium sized forward/tall midfielder
Go away SMS you are banned for life.
Your post is too logical for the bath water brigade.
Summed it up in one paragraph.
The good, the bad and the Paddy.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saint-stu
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Wow. It wasn't long ago and the usual suspects were talking trash about JB. Seems we're OK with him now.
Having concerns or reservations about a player is fine.

Blindly 'backing' a player simply because he wears a Saints jumper is ridiculous.

I have concerns and reservations about plenty of players - and some of them I simply don't rate at all.

So I don't have the slightest issue with people not rating McCartin's output and with some not thinking he'll be any good.

I disagree though.

And I'm yet to see an argument by those that don't rate him that changes my mind that his output is not that bad currently anyway, and that he won't be a really good player when he develops and matures.

I also disagree on the 'we made a huge error by picking him at no. 1' argument too.

Mainly, because the guy who went at no. 2 has already missed a year of footy and only averages 6 more touches than McCartin, and the guy that went at 3 barely plays at all. So I think it's way too early to be making the call on whether he was a mistake at no. 1, and I think it's way too early to suggest he won't be a gun footballer as he gets older and more experienced.
It's not blindly backing a player. It's reserving judgement until we have the information we need. He hasn't had any continuity. He is still a kid. He has not played 50 games yet. He has shown plenty of talent at times so far to suggest he will be a very good player. Petracca is a midfielder so you really can't compare them. Perhaps Petracca is a better player overall, but we were looking for a key forward. Maybe we can get a Petracca type easily via free agency or trade. Also I'd hardly call the comments on Paddy "having reservations".

1ac46a38
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
SMS wrote:Paddy has shown glimpses of brilliance and theres no doibt a gun footy player. BUT he is not a MODERN FOOTY PLAYER. Has not got the right body shape for it. Hipwood, Cameron, Wright, Daniher, Lynch - these are key forwards - close to 200cm, slim agile endurance beasts. NOT 194cm stocky. So wrong.
Go away SMS you are banned for life.
Your post is too logical for the bath water brigade.
Summed it up in one paragraph.
The good, the bad and the Paddy.
Why because it agrees with you?
Hogan 195
Walker 195
Roughead 193
Plus plenty more

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Question is though

If 17 other clubs had pick 1 as we did

Would they have taken him???

Bernard, it happened on the HFF goalside of the Sandy coaches box about a handball distance from the boundary

I was standing 5m to the side of the coaches box on the fence.

Spud was on the hill behind the coaches box talking to Turtle, Welsh and theStk club doc

Pretty sure I don't have to explain much more... I moved back from the fence after the incident and stood near the coaches box to hear the outcome of the incident.
That would depend on whether or not they had a key forward.

Melbourne wouldn't have taken him No.1 because they already had Hogan.

Gold Coast no, because they already had Lynch.

GWS no because they had Cameron, Paton & McCarthy.

Essendon NO because they had Daniher.

Sydney NO because they had Buddy.

Adelaide NO because they had Walker.

West Coast NO because they had Kennedy.

Any other club would have taken him at No.1 in a heartbeat.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:Petracca averages 18 touches, 4.4 marks and 1.8 shots at goals this year as a mid/forward.

Petracca has also had over a year of continuous senior footy, without yet playing much through the midfield. Paddy has played 22 games (only about 14 anywhere near complete) and has never played more than 3 in a row, punctuated by lengthy lay offs. Yet I suppose a few concussions (the ones I've seen been due to overzealousness), a broken collarbone and a knee are flaws in Paddy's game and should have been anticipated by our recruiters. :roll:

By the way Petracca currently plays a similar position as Jack Billings, and in the future they will both play midfield. At the moment Billings is better and will always be better by some margin.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

At least we have Billings. He's the real DEAL!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!