Does this work as a voting system?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Votes v North Melbourne

Poll ended at Thu 22 Jun 2017 5:30pm

Dylan Roberton (5)
5%
Dylan Roberton (4)
No votes
Dylan Roberton (3)
No votes
Dylan Roberton (2)
No votes
Dylan Roberton (1)
No votes
Jack Billings (5)
5%
Jack Billings (4)
5%
Jack Billings (3)
No votes
Jack Billings (2)
No votes
Jack Billings (1)
No votes
Jack Newnes (5)
No votes
Jack Newnes (4)
No votes
Jack Newnes (3)
No votes
Jack Newnes (2)
No votes
Jack Newnes (1)
No votes
Jade Gresham (5)
No votes
Jade Gresham (4)
No votes
Jade Gresham (3)
5%
Jade Gresham (2)
No votes
Jade Gresham (1)
No votes
Leigh Montagna (5)
No votes
Leigh Montagna (4)
No votes
Leigh Montagna (3)
No votes
Leigh Montagna (2)
5%
Leigh Montagna (1)
No votes
Luke Dunstan (5)
No votes
Luke Dunstan (4)
No votes
Luke Dunstan (3)
No votes
Luke Dunstan (2)
5%
Luke Dunstan (1)
No votes
Nick Riewoldt (5)
5%
Nick Riewoldt (4)
5%
Nick Riewoldt (3)
5%
Nick Riewoldt (2)
5%
Nick Riewoldt (1)
5%
Sebastian Ross (5)
5%
Sebastian Ross (4)
No votes
Sebastian Ross (3)
No votes
Sebastian Ross (2)
No votes
Sebastian Ross (1)
5%
Other (5)
5%
Other (4)
10%
Other (3)
10%
Other (2)
5%
Other (1)
10%

Total votes: 21

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

You can select up to 9 selections - preferably 5 going 5,4,3,2,1

ie:
Seb Ross (5)
Jock Newnes (4)
Leigh Montagna (3)
Other (2)
Other (1)

If you select other you could would then post what your Others were.
ie
Jake Carlisle (2)
Sam Gilbert (1)

This would allow a running tally to be visible to all
It would however be subject to honesty as you could use your 9 votes to vote 5 for 8 players and 5 for Other (and advise who)

The top 8 AF point earners would be the 8 selections given

Alternatively - if this is too hard, I am happy to keep doing it the way we were before, I just thought that people might want a running tally.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Does this work as a voting system?

Sinclair (4)
Geary (3)
Carlisle (1)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Works for me - I was able to give Nick all 15 votes!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Works for me - I was able to give Nick all 15 votes!
Sucker - there was another 5,4,3,2 available for Nick under the Other category .....

that's why I said

It would however be subject to honesty as you could use your 9 votes to vote 5 for 8 players and 5 for Other (and advise who)

― Aristophanes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

How do you decide which players to put in the list and who to put first? It seems like a lot of work for you.

I reckon it would be a lot easier for you if people named their five best in order, then you could just copy into a spreadsheet.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:How do you decide which players to put in the list and who to put first? It seems like a lot of work for you.

I reckon it would be a lot easier for you if people named their five best in order, then you could just copy into a spreadsheet.

It is easier for me if people give their selections 5 - 1 (or any combination adding to 15 votes - but with people arguing, quoting, quoting to give their votes, etc I missed one set of votes entirely last week, and the previous 3 weeks were just nightmares.

When people quote someone elses post in its entirety just to say "Are you serious?" it makes it tedious to go through the whole thread to see if people are voting or just taking pot shots.

I am happy to do it the old fashioned way, but if there is a better way - it is worth trying - if only there was a way that the system could allow all players the have the option of 5,4,3,2,1 and to ensure that only 15 votes are cast.

― Aristophanes

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

no

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:no
Thanks for the input

― Aristophanes

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:How do you decide which players to put in the list and who to put first? It seems like a lot of work for you.

It is easier for me if people give their selections 5 - 1 (or any combination adding to 15 votes - but with people arguing, quoting, quoting to give their votes, etc I missed one set of votes entirely last week, and the previous 3 weeks were just nightmares.

When people quote someone elses post in its entirety just to say "Are you serious?" it makes it tedious to go through the whole thread to see if people are voting or just taking pot shots.

I am happy to do it the old fashioned way, but if there is a better way - it is worth trying - if only there was a way that the system could allow all players the have the option of 5,4,3,2,1 and to ensure that only 15 votes are cast.
If its easier to do this, I don't think many would complain

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
George27
Club Player

Sainter-Dad: I really like the current system.It creates even more interest in the game . My Footy Record from last Friday has scribbles in it from the end of each quarter then on the tram as I worked out my votes.

However, you do all the work , and it is not good that you find it a nightmare.

The main benefit of the current system is its transparency. One set of votes per Saintsational member , Max of 15 points, Max of 5 per player. As you have acknowledged, the proposed new system is subject to manipulation. Thus I am against it.

However clearly it needs to be made easier for you. Perhaps you simply require people to post an entry with their votes. Any emails with quotes will automatically be deemed invalid. You can set whatever other objective rules that you think will avoid this task continuing to be a nightmare. The points thread is unlike every other thread on this forum. Every other thread is intended for discussion, quotation, agreement and disagreement. The points thread is ( or I think it is your intention that it be ) simply to determine who as a collective we think are the best players. It should be simple- we each vote, and you add them up !

Whatever you come up with, I'm in.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Old fashioned way it is then!

― Aristophanes