Hutchy's Tassie Deal: Good Idea for the Saints??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Hutchy's Tassie Deal: Good Idea for the Saints??

If you saw Footy Classified last night, you'd have seen that Hutchy was stating that he believes North should go to Tassie.

In a nutshell, his idea was:

Name just the Kangaroos - no Tassie or North Melbourne
Based in Tassie
9 games in Tassie, 9 in Melbourne
4 Away games interstate
AFLW team based in Tassie
Train in Melbourne leading up to Melbourne games

People freak out about this sort of thing - but why? What's the big deal?

Based in Tassie, or based in Seaford? Who cares?

Still get 9 Melbourne games, get a genuine home ground advantage and almost certainly more members. Huge cash support from the Tassie government and I'd dare say from the AFL also.

So what's the problem?

Would anyone care if the Saints did a Clayton's relocation like this?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hutchy's Tassie Deal: Good Idea for the Saints??

It would depend on the membership deals offered.

If there was a membership deal that we got to see all 9 games in Melbourne as an "Away" Game Membership - ie access to all away games as part of the membership rather than home games, people might consider it, but if your membership only covered Tassie home games, I would think there would be a fair drop off in membership numbers.

We could also not sell reserved home game memberships at Ethihad

There is a difference to based in Seaford/based in Tassie

I would not be travelling to Tassie every second weekend to attend games - so they would lose my membership/Social Club monies.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:If you saw Footy Classified last night, you'd have seen that Hutchy was stating that he believes North should go to Tassie.

In a nutshell, his idea was:

Name just the Kangaroos - no Tassie or North Melbourne
Based in Tassie
9 games in Tassie, 9 in Melbourne
4 Away games interstate
AFLW team based in Tassie
Train in Melbourne leading up to Melbourne games

People freak out about this sort of thing - but why? What's the big deal?

Based in Tassie, or based in Seaford? Who cares?

Still get 9 Melbourne games, get a genuine home ground advantage and almost certainly more members. Huge cash support from the Tassie government and I'd dare say from the AFL also.

So what's the problem?

Me, for one.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Well, as someone doomed to live in Tassie for a few more years at least (perhaps for the duration), I reckon the idea of the Saints relocating here is a terrific one.

However, while it was probably true that, two decades ago, the AFL might have wanted us to become the Tassie Saints, I think these days they see the Roos as a much bigger problem for them than we are. For, while it is true that we often struggle to draw a good crowd to our matches, the Roos have effectively given up the struggle. At least we have a large part of Melbourne from which we can potentially draw new supporters. The Roos don't seem to have anywhere to go for new supporters: I would hazard a guess that 95% or more of the people who follow the Roos would be the son or daughter of someone who followed the Roos.

The seasons in which the Roos perform well might be exciting for football purists: "shinboner spirit" yada yada yada. But I don't reckon the marketing arm of the AFL gets too excited about the Roos going well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFL point a metaphorical gun to the head of the Roos in the next few years. There's starting to be a bit of a political groundswell down here towards pushing harder for a Tassie AFL team, and Tasmanian Senators and MPs have shown again and again that they can exert a lot of political clout when they really mean to do so. So, one day, it might be a case of the AFL telling the Kangas: "either you move to Tassie, or we'll delist you from the comp and create a brand new Tassie team."

The only problem is that "Kangaroos" is a really silly moniker for a Tasmanian team, as - while we do have some kangaroos on the central highlands - the buggers are far rarer down here than in any other part of the country!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: The only problem is that "Kangaroos" is a really silly moniker for a Tasmanian team, as - while we do have some kangaroos on the central highlands - the buggers are far rarer down here than in any other part of the country!!
Are you suggesting that Melbourne would be a better choice - there is only a short step from a Demon to a Devil!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:

So what's the problem?

Yes.

St Kilda have a huge geographical footprint in Melbourne and represent a larger slice of Victoria than most other Victorian clubs. Our footprint is important to the AFL and football in Victoria.

St Kilda also align their identity very strongly with their geographical heartland, probably only Geelong does it better.

Relocating St Kilda interstate would benefit no one and would be the slow death of the club. It would also hurt football in the south east leaving just Hawthorn as the only team located south of the Yarra. That'd be enough to put me off the game completely.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
meher baba wrote: The only problem is that "Kangaroos" is a really silly moniker for a Tasmanian team, as - while we do have some kangaroos on the central highlands - the buggers are far rarer down here than in any other part of the country!!
Are you suggesting that Melbourne would be a better choice - there is only a short step from a Demon to a Devil!
Was just about to say that as well

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I watched Talking Footy for the first time ever,
and I was unhappy at Carey bagging Saints members.
His words: " the Saints have 40-50k members and they didn't bother going"
For a Norf home game, where a Saints member has to pay a lot of money, why would you go?
Especially after the preceding poor performances.

He opens his mouth before he does any research. What a moron.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

So what's the problem?

Yes.

St Kilda have a huge geographical footprint in Melbourne and represent a larger slice of Victoria than most other Victorian clubs. Our footprint is important to the AFL and football in Victoria.

St Kilda also align their identity very strongly with their geographical heartland, probably only Geelong does it better.

Relocating St Kilda interstate would benefit no one and would be the slow death of the club. It would also hurt football in the south east leaving just Hawthorn as the only team located south of the Yarra. That'd be enough to put me off the game completely.
We keep hearing this. In fact I've been hearing it for the past 30 years. But, I fear it's a bit of a myth.

We never draw big crowds, never have large membership numbers, and never draw large sponsorship or even large TV audiences.

We've moved to Moorabbin, then to Waverley, then to Seaford and play at Docklands - and in recent times played in 3 Grand Finals and finished on top of the ladder twice.

When is all this supposed support going to come out of the woodwork??

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I cannot believe that there are St Kilda supporters who actually think relocation would be a good thing. WTF?

I'm guessing people with that view don't go to many games and just watch on TV.

I started brracking for the Saints when I was a kid because I lived in Moorabbin. They were our local team, our tribe. If you never got to watch a game at Moorabbin, then thats a pity because you really missed out. 15,000 in the place, created an atmosphere that cannot be matched by 30,000 - 40,000 at the Docklands. Our shift to Waverley was rubbish and NOT the will of the Members. The Docklands is admittedly better than Waverley, but a far cry from Moorabbin.

I enjoy going to watch my team play, home games are generally more enjoyable than away games. We are St Kilda the Bayside team. What on earth is there to be gained by moving interstate? The population in the Bayside area is probably greater than that of all Tasmania.

If we relocated interstate the Club would lose me as a member forever. In fact they'd lose me as a supporter and I'd no longer follow the AFL. I'm sure there are thousands, probably tens of thousands that would do precisely the same as me.

Go and talk to an old Fitzroy supporter. Most of them no longer follow the game and DO NOT consider Brisbane their team. In their view they lost their footy team 20 years ago. Any South Melbourne supporters out there that love Sydney as their team? Probably not many, their team ceased to exist 35 years ago.

RODOS
Club Player

I would love it. 9 games in melbourne, 9 in tassie. As long as it's a fifty fifty split and stays that way, and if it changes it just goes back to melbourne only, then definitely for it. Tassie needs a team, we have strong links to tassie. Also I reckon I could retire in tassie so that wouldn't hurt. The ground is beautiful and the home ground advantage would be big.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would do that deal in a heartbeat!!!

And we'd win a flag in 3 years!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

RODOS wrote:I would love it. 9 games in melbourne, 9 in tassie. As long as it's a fifty fifty split and stays that way, and if it changes it just goes back to melbourne only, then definitely for it. Tassie needs a team, we have strong links to tassie. Also I reckon I could retire in tassie so that wouldn't hurt. The ground is beautiful and the home ground advantage would be big.
The Arena is a glorified, wind swept suburban ground.

How long do you think you'd actually get 9 games in Tassie and 9 in Melbourne? A pipe dream. You'd get 11 games in Tassie and about 5 in Melbourne (including Geelong) as an away team.

When South Melb relocated to Sydney there were assurances that they'd play at least 11 games in Melbourne. How long did that last? A few moments?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Would do that deal in a heartbeat!!!

And we'd win a flag in 3 years!
Is that because you hail from Tasmania?

Why would we win a flag within 3 years?

How would we cope with losing 70% of our supporter base (me included)?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I cannot believe that there are St Kilda supporters who actually think relocation would be a good thing. WTF?

I started brracking for the Saints when I was a kid because I lived in Moorabbin. They were our local team, our tribe. If you never got to watch a game at Moorabbin, then thats a pity because you really missed out. 15,000 in the place, created an atmosphere that cannot be matched by 30,000 - 40,000 at the Docklands. Our shift to Waverley was rubbish and NOT the will of the Members. The Docklands is admittedly better than Waverley, but a far cry from Moorabbin.
The day the Saints left Moorabbin was the day footy died for me.

I honestly don't see the difference between being based at Seaford or Darwin.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote:I cannot believe that there are St Kilda supporters who actually think relocation would be a good thing. WTF?

....edited by WS for brevity....
Go and talk to an old Fitzroy supporter. Most of them no longer follow the game and DO NOT consider Brisbane their team. In their view they lost their footy team 20 years ago. Any South Melbourne supporters out there that love Sydney as their team? Probably not many, their team ceased to exist 35 years ago.
I totally agree with you.
There are just over 40k members. A lot of these don't go to many games at Etihad, perhaps due to work or family commitments, or
they live a long distance. I've seen posts from folks who said it took them over 2-3 hours to get home after the game.

I lived in Melb (born there) for over 30 years. A lot of games at Moorabbin for me, all memorable.
The move to Waverley was just horrible; it was called "Arctic Park" it was so cold and miserable.
It was in a rainbelt- you'd see a huge bank of dark cloud moving in, and then that icy cold rain would hit.
I saw people bringing green garbage bags to the game- the ones for garden rubbish- and they would have holes for the head and arms.
Otherwise some folks were selling thin plastic raincoats, but either way, you couldn't stop the cold.
Me and my mates found it easier to park at that nearby shopping centre and walk about 20-30 minutes, than park at Waverley and sit in gridlock for ages.

Moving to Tassie would be great for those folks who always watch on TV, but it would rip the essence out of the club.
The folks who are going to Etihad now, may not go to any games in Melb because they are 'away' games and you have to pay a lot.

So who would it really benefit when you lose thousands of members?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Gotta remember it is not 9 home games in Melbourne it's 9 AWAY games

And btw I never met a south Sydney supporter and was in my teens (born 79) before I realised there was a ever a South Melbourne. South Melbourne never was for me and younger than me Fitzroy probably never was

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

The day the Saints left Moorabbin was the day footy died for me.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Hutchy has never had a good idea in his life!!!!!

Not a fan of Nath 'FIGJAM' BUCKLEY, but loved the way he ripped Hutchy a new one last night!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Hutchy has never had a good idea in his life!!!!!

Not a fan of Nath 'FIGJAM' BUCKLEY, but loved the way he ripped Hutchy a new one last night!!!!!
I think both were wrong on that topic last night. But Buckley was wronger!

carn_sainter
Club Player

Pademelons are Kangarooish. Kind of. If you use your imagination.

The Tassie Pademelons is still a better name than Gold Coast Suns or Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

And what about the players? They would all move to Tassie? I don't think so. And you can't be going half arsed about it. The players would all have to live in Tassie.

Ridiculous idea!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
repta
Club Player

This type of talk really annoys the hell out of me.

If you sell your home games you are selling your soul.

I shouldnt need to say anything more, however I will give some ideas to this.

It is a CLUB, clubs are for members. The Club should be in the business of winning Premierships. This is very different from a business to make money. Are we a club to make money or a club to win premierships. I for one hope it is Premierships for the enjoyment of our members.

The STKILDA not Tasmanian, New Zealand, China, Darwin Canberra, but Stkilda Saints come from the Southern Suburbs of Melbourne. The fan base is Bayside. We should make the Bayside our territory. I now live in the Northern Suburbs and a Saints jumper is a rarity.

I hope my children follow the Saints. They will NEVER follow the Tasmanian Saints, or the New Zealand Saints. Easy example for that one, how are those South Melbourne supporters going. Super popular in the Aged Care facility in Albert Park. No one under the age 70 need apply. Or what about those Fitzroy supporters. I bet the next generaation of them are coming through thick and fast.

In a REAL world a move to Tassy would look like. AFL will guarantee 9 away games in Melbourne for the first 3/5/10 years. Then it would be under review. My guess 5 which will be reduced to 3 when they find that the team is drawing a zero crowd (at 4.40 on a Sunday). No games in Tassy are on free to air, therefore zero sponsorship from Melbourne based businesses as no real exposure (half the time the result of the Tassy game is summarised as "results from other games".
But of course the powerhouse of Business in Tassy will poor millions of dollars into the club (as Tassy is an absolute powerhouse economy). Therefore State Government through Visit Tassy will get on board.

And a Premiership within 3 years. Yeah right. THe AFL would be all out to make Tassy a success, with a mighty population of 515,000 14% of which are on the poverity line (by far the most around Australia). The AFL will throw their might behind the move. Of Course they will leave GWS (population what 3 million, billions in advertising) and Gold Coast (what 1.5 million people and limitless potential) in a State that is already saturated with the game. The Tassy well is dry.

So go on with your chat about how to fix the immediate debt level or lack of income by selling the future of the Club.

RODOS
Club Player

you all make some good points. I saw some games at moorabbin but too young to remember them. Waverly a few. I guess as it stands I don't really feel like we have a home, and tassie would make that a reality. But I'd prefer to have it here in Melbourne.

colonial-telstra-etihad stadium is soulless. Imagine if we had a stadium like Adelaide Oval. Moorabbin + A stadium with soul - we're set

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne could relocate there and be renamed the Van Demonslanders!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!