Hutchy's Tassie Deal: Good Idea for the Saints??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hutchy's Tassie Deal: Good Idea for the Saints??

repta wrote:This type of talk really annoys the hell out of me.

If you sell your home games you are selling your soul.

I shouldnt need to say anything more, however I will give some ideas to this.

It is a CLUB, clubs are for members. The Club should be in the business of winning Premierships. This is very different from a business to make money. Are we a club to make money or a club to win premierships. I for one hope it is Premierships for the enjoyment of our members.

Well it's not really.

It's an entertainment business, designed purely to make money.

The only reason the St Kilda Football Club exists is because an 18 team league is what the TV networks want to pay for. If they wanted a 17 league comp - guess what? There'd be 17 teams in a heartbeat.

The members are merely suckers that the AFL emotionally blackmails every year in order to maintain a revenue stream.

Think about it....what is 'St Kilda' about the Saints these days?

The home ground? No.
The coaches? No.
The Board? No.
The executive? No.
The

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Soul... pfftt

We should be trying to divorce ourself from a history littered with disappointment, despair and at times disgrace.

A new beginning would get my vote.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't live in Tassie?!

There are supporters who aren't from Moorabbin

Moorabbin was a sh*thole .... good for 70s/80s suburban VFL footy where 20-30k was acceptable. It was even redundant in the 90s
Our switch to Waverley and the docklands both coincided with a period of relative success. Moving = growing.

How many clubs have not evolved.

Even the big clubs Hawthorn, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon have left their 'spiritual homes... and play and/or train in new locations.

This hanging on to the past is ridiculous... especially given our history

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Soul... pfftt

We should be trying to divorce ourself from a history littered with disappointment, despair and at times disgrace.

A new beginning would get my vote.
Without being Rude Marto, for such a passionate Saints supporter, you are very anti-St.Kilda at times, can I ask why?????

Not having a go, just curious!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think you confuse anti stkilda with reality?

I love barracking StK but am not blind to the reality of its history?...

Fact is
We are unsuccessful
We do make poor decisions
We need to evolve/change to create history, not look to hang on to a past which is actually rubbish.

The good old days at Moorabbin were anything but...

This romance bullsh*t is actually holding the club back

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I think you confuse anti stkilda with reality?

Fact is
We are unsuccessful
We need to evolve/change to create history, not look to hang on to a past which is actually rubbish.

Fair enough, I tend to look forward and not back, so glass half full, not half empty mentality for me , but each to their own hey, after all it's only an opinion, doesn't mean it's right or wrong!!!!!

Footscray had a far worse history than us and won't a second flag last year, so things can change quickly!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think you confuse anti stkilda with reality?

Fact is
We are unsuccessful

What a load of codswallop!

Despite our lack of Premierships we have an amazing history full of colorful identities through good times and bad times and Moorabbin was infused with some brilliant periods of Saints history.

History shows that we have had some terrible luck through the ages and that our club probably should have had more Cups to show for its endeavours.

The club has worked tirelessly in the last 20 years to evolve and change and this has culminated in playing off in a GF 3 times and appearing in numerous Finals campaigns - unlike many other Melbourne teams who have an inferior track record over this time.

Sure there are supporters that buy into the romance bulls*** - as you call it - but I doubt the current administration or the players reminisce over the old days and are fully focused to move forward, create history and win that next elusive Premiership

As it currently stands St Kilda is the gateway to the huge peninsula area and has an amazing opportunity to capitilise on this location and make it the clubs own - many great players have come from this area and we positively market ourselves with this in mind we can be a destination club for many young talented players drafted interstate wanting to return to their home turf.

The only absolute change that will occur if we move south to Tasmania is that we will lose our identity - as average as our history has been - it still won't be us - the St Kilda name will be gone and likely the colours and jumper style will ultimately change over time - soon old St Kilda supporters will die and there will only be Tassie supporters and our great name and spirited and vibrant history will be forgotten.

Move to Tasmania - **** that!

We are St. Kilda and we will not die - Fortius Quo Fidelius - Strength through Loyalty - through thick and thin

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We are StKilda are we?

What percentage of our players are from StK
What percentage of our supporters are from StK
What percentage of our games are played at StK
How often do we train at StK
?????

Last I checked, we walked out on that suburb in 1964. It was the best move we ever made! We made a GF straight after

2nd best move was to move out of Moorabbin, it was past its use by date, we made a GF within 5 years

3rd best move was to the Docklands, our record there from 2003-2011 was ridiculous... we made 3 prelims and 2 GFs within a decade

Moving forward is better than looking back....

The worst move we ever have done is not to Seaford... the facilities there compared to the pile of garbage at Moorabbin easily made up for the (soul destroying) 30m drive... although for a portion of players and coaches Seaford is actually closer because of Eastlink.

The worst decision was to pull out of Tas and watch Hawthorn take our stronghold and laugh their arses off in the process!!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I agree. Grant Thomas, you are a very naughty boy. Financially, we'd be far better off now had we not bailed out of that arrangement

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We are StKilda are we?

What percentage of our players are from StK
What percentage of our supporters are from StK
What percentage of our games are played at StK
How often do we train at StK
?????

Last I checked, we walked out on that suburb in 1964. It was the best move we ever made! We made a GF straight after

2nd best move was to move out of Moorabbin, it was past its use by date, we made a GF within 5 years

3rd best move was to the Docklands, our record there from 2003-2011 was ridiculous... we made 3 prelims and 2 GFs within a decade

Moving forward is better than looking back....

The worst move we ever have done is not to Seaford... the facilities there compared to the pile of garbage at Moorabbin easily made up for the (soul destroying) 30m drive... although for a portion of players and coaches Seaford is actually closer because of Eastlink.

The worst decision was to pull out of Tas and watch Hawthorn take our stronghold and laugh their arses off in the process!!!!
Yeah because the Hawks playing a few games in Tassie was the reason why they won 3 straight :roll: :roll:

I mean just look at North and the premierships they have won since they started playing in Tassie

You are not just talking about moving a few games there you are talking about being happy to move all home games there - selling our 145yo identity and giving a big fk you finger to the majority of our supporter group who would be lucky to see a handful of games a year.

Either way it obvious you have some Taswegian connection as you have been very passionate about this subject before in previous threads - but hey I am glad that you would be more than happy to follow the Tassie Saints ..... if that's the name that the AFL eventually decide upon

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Unless you were a FIFO club you would want to get some very good concession to move to Tassie.
Like picks or massive COLA.
Players were bitching about traveling to Seaford, Gold Coast and Brisbane have retention issues, how hard would it be to retain players as a Tassie based team if you were going poorly?
If you were FIFO would the Tassie supporters embrace you?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
repta
Club Player

Going to Brisbane was good for the Fitzroy Football Club
Going to Sydney has been a success for the South Melbourne Football Club
They now have great passionate Melbourne supporters.

If you don't have passion for the club and only want success why aren't you followingHawthorn... the most dominant team in the last 10 years... or Bulldogs (reigning premiers)... or Adelaide current top ladder.

Or do you follow West Coast or Collingwood as they lead the way for Profit.

The AFL is an entertainment business. A business is defined by making money. Clubs and support are a different matter

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Playing several home games a year in Tasmania was and is fine in my book - BUT - the name St. Kilda is sancrosanct. I barrack for St. Kilda. And that shield is important as are the colours. AND I really like the stick figure too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Marto should probably be left out of any serious discussion here as he has already made it pretty clear that he would follow ANY stand-alone tassie side over the saints. The saints are just his fallback until this eventuates, and fair enough too if that is where your heart lies.

I would lose a lot, if not all passion if we relocate interstate no doubt, however tassie would be the most palateable... but still s***.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

They can have the kangaroos, and everyone's happy.

#sendnorthsouth

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

satchmo wrote:They can have the kangaroos, and everyone's happy.

#sendnorthsouth
good thinking there mate. you must be a muso? :D i'd also throw in flowering melbourne too. :twisted: talk about a flowering ski bunny and dummers' club ffs! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gordo' wrote:
satchmo wrote:They can have the kangaroos, and everyone's happy.

#sendnorthsouth
good thinking there mate. you must be a muso? :D i'd also throw in flowering melbourne too. :twisted: talk about a flowering ski bunny and dummers' club ffs! :roll: :roll: :roll:
your location says you were banned for a spell.
Was your previous incarnation possessed of a shark avatar,
and you posted with lots of ..... and...as well as ....
you like "flowering" too

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:This type of talk really annoys the hell out of me.

If you sell your home games you are selling your soul.

I shouldnt need to say anything more, however I will give some ideas to this.

It is a CLUB, clubs are for members. The Club should be in the business of winning Premierships. This is very different from a business to make money. Are we a club to make money or a club to win premierships. I for one hope it is Premierships for the enjoyment of our members.

The STKILDA not Tasmanian, New Zealand, China, Darwin Canberra, but Stkilda Saints come from the Southern Suburbs of Melbourne. The fan base is Bayside. We should make the Bayside our territory. I now live in the Northern Suburbs and a Saints jumper is a rarity.

I hope my children follow the Saints. They will NEVER follow the Tasmanian Saints, or the New Zealand Saints. Easy example for that one, how are those South Melbourne supporters going. Super popular in the Aged Care facility in Albert Park. No one under the age 70 need apply. Or what about those Fitzroy supporters. I bet the next generaation of them are coming through thick and fast.

In a REAL world a move to Tassy would look like. AFL will guarantee 9 away games in Melbourne for the first 3/5/10 years. Then it would be under review. My guess 5 which will be reduced to 3 when they find that the team is drawing a zero crowd (at 4.40 on a Sunday). No games in Tassy are on free to air, therefore zero sponsorship from Melbourne based businesses as no real exposure (half the time the result of the Tassy game is summarised as "results from other games".
But of course the powerhouse of Business in Tassy will poor millions of dollars into the club (as Tassy is an absolute powerhouse economy). Therefore State Government through Visit Tassy will get on board.

And a Premiership within 3 years. Yeah right. THe AFL would be all out to make Tassy a success, with a mighty population of 515,000 14% of which are on the poverity line (by far the most around Australia). The AFL will throw their might behind the move. Of Course they will leave GWS (population what 3 million, billions in advertising) and Gold Coast (what 1.5 million people and limitless potential) in a State that is already saturated with the game. The Tassy well is dry.

So go on with your chat about how to fix the immediate debt level or lack of income by selling the future of the Club.
Spot on mate. As a former die hard Fitzroy supporter you're completely correct. Fitzroy supporters were always quite sparse as it was (which is why they folded) but I know plenty who now either follow other clubs or don't follow the game at all. I came from a family of 6 - and every Saturday was a religion at Junction Oval, then later at Victoria Park and then Princes Park. Lastly at WEstern Oval. The writing was on the wall into the 90's. We had no home, no base, we were all over the shop. Saints need a home in Melbourne. I can live with them selling the odd game interstate if that's what required, but I'll be stuffed if I'll go down to Tassie to watch them for nearly half their games. I can tell you as a bloke whose mum volunteered selling memberships and working at the club that people would desert in droves. My parents are Nth Melbourne members, my oldest brother is a Doggie supporter (he lives out west) My other brothers either follow the saints or just follow the game without following a club. I've got mates who were right into the lions when they successful in the early 2000's, but now??? Most spend their days at local footy and have become one of those supporters that tell ppl they follow a club, never go and never buy a membership.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

But Fitzroy folded.

This suggestion by Hutchy is to relocate.

I think that that's very different.

repta
Club Player

Folded ... relocated ...
Same same to me. Both equal GONE.

Gone will be missed but never seen again. Any relocated folded or otherwise team. RIP

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Do you think St Louis Rams supporters now follow the LA Rams?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Do you think St Louis Rams supporters now follow the LA Rams?
Well St Kilda fans still support the Saints even though they went to Moorabbin.....then to Waverley......then to Seaford....

Moods
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:Folded ... relocated ...
Same same to me. Both equal GONE.

Gone will be missed but never seen again. Any relocated folded or otherwise team. RIP
Plenty of Fitzroy ppl who follow the Lions claim that the club relocated. I'm with you. Once they left town they were dead to me. No way I could follow a club from another state.

Having said that, I do see JM's point. Relocating does keep the club alive. Surely that has to be the last resort, and I mean ABSOLUTE last resort. Heard James Brayshaw on mmm the other day and apparently North are doing extremely well. If they can survive surely we can?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Do you think St Louis Rams supporters now follow the LA Rams?
Well St Kilda fans still support the Saints even though they went to Moorabbin.....then to Waverley......then to Seaford....
Cmon JM - Moorabbin, Waverley and Seaford are all within 30km of each other and we we are still known as the St Kilda Saints

Tasmania is another state last time I checked - 550km or 700km away from our heartland in Melbourne (depending where we would play) and the name St Kilda Saints would ultimately cease to exist if we moved our home games there.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

We are more likely to end up in NZ than Tasmania.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post