When did we start Launch Tackling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

When did we start Launch Tackling

Anyone notice this last night?

Quite a few players appear to have developed this habit of diving at their running opponents...
Unfortunately we're often easily brushed off and as a result, the tackling player is out of the contest and we're a man down.

The key point I'm highlighting is the launch/diving tackles, not regular ones that get brushed off. It feels to me like this type of tackle is also less effective and less likely to stick.

Happened regularly throughout the night.

Any thoughts?

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: When did we start Launch Tackling

Your strength comes from your hips, and they're only able to be a strong base of support if your feet are on the ground. It's the old, tested, tried and true method to drop your hips when tackling, something you can't do if you have lunged or made a dive to get your hand on the opponent. So a dive tackle is easier to brush off. You're also, when diving, unable to use the opponent's momentum against them.

Having said that, I didn't notice this and am not sure what you're talking about. If they're launching to get some contact that they wouldn't have otherwise got, then I see the reason.

Best tackle last night was Seb Ross's run down in the centre square. He exploded, really put in three or four very powerful strides to catch up and then hit the guy at the perfect moment, when he had no balance.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I didn't notice, but an interesting observation.

Someone commented on here a few weeks back that the leniency on 'incorrect disposal' has hurt us, due to the fact that our tackling has been a key weapon. But if tackles aren't being rewarded, it's a huge chink in our armour.

One of the very few tackles that was rewarded, was the one that coast Kobe Stevens a week.

So maybe they've been working on a slightly different method?

loris
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Anyone notice this last night?

Quite a few players appear to have developed this habit of diving at their running opponents...
Unfortunately we're often easily brushed off and as a result, the tackling player is out of the contest and we're a man down.

The key point I'm highlighting is the launch/diving tackles, not regular ones that get brushed off. It feels to me like this type of tackle is also less effective and less likely to stick.

Happened regularly throughout the night.

Any thoughts?
I notice Lonie does it occasionally. I'm not certain if it's because of his small stature or weight that he's adopted that method. Alas it doesn't seem successful for him, because his tackles rarely stick, he is shrugged off too easily.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Mav's been doing it all year
A desperate lunge, misses by that much, Chief,
and off they run.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it's the type of thing that would be more evident if you were at the game as I doubt the camera would have caught it as they we're so quickly out of the contest.

I would say maybe 6-7 times last night, a Saints player threw themselves at the ball carrier, usually around centre or our HFF, and was easily brushed off by a Roo who then ran into space.

Don't know the players by look well enough to identify the culprits but it really evident last night as you can't miss the theatrical look of a lunge. Wasn't evident earlier in the year.