Mav

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lintonstreet
Club Player

Re: Mav

Moods wrote:Last year I saw some games where his overhead marking was Like Eliott Yeo's. He had hands of steel. He actually reminded me of Aaron Hamill in a couple of games. I was excited at what he could deliver this year. Players who are good overhead are generally very good players and have good courage. Sadly he's delivered nothing this year, and I quite often get mocking text messages from mates who aren't endeared to his pony tail and spiritual existence....... He's gone from being potentially one of our best players to trade material in 12 months.
Trade material - you are delusional as are others in this post.
Mav will be resigned in the next couple of months and you so called Saints can go and get knotted.
I just realised when you were referring to the tv coverage none of you were at the game and that just about sums up this site.
Mod - please dergister me.

lintonstreet
Club Player

Moods wrote:Last year I saw some games where his overhead marking was Like Eliott Yeo's. He had hands of steel. He actually reminded me of Aaron Hamill in a couple of games. I was excited at what he could deliver this year. Players who are good overhead are generally very good players and have good courage. Sadly he's delivered nothing this year, and I quite often get mocking text messages from mates who aren't endeared to his pony tail and spiritual existence....... He's gone from being potentially one of our best players to trade material in 12 months.
Mav will be resigned in the next couple of months and you so called Saints can go and get knotted.
I just realised when you were referring to the tv coverage none of you were at the game and that just about sums up this site.
Mod - please dergister me and ban me for life from this site

stonecold
SS Life Member

Just goes to show how many posters on here don't know modern footy!!!!!

No more too see here for the narrow minded!!!!!

PS. I didn't think Welly was attending the game?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well I was at the game and having a keen interest in Mav I kept my eye out for him.

As I have said before, I rate him extremely highly and was blown away by his season last year. Was hoping he would take the step from consistently good to great this season.
I like the Aaron Hamil comparison except he's naturally leaner and more a runner than a marking forward.

His game can be summed up with the following sentence... he did a few nice things but was largely unsighted. 16 disposals (7 of which came from marks, mostly uncontested) and 3 tackles suggests I'm right.

In all honesty, I don't understand where the angst is coming from here. Just about everyone here say that they rate the kid and no one is calling for him to be delisted. He's just out of sorts... let him go back and work on the stuff that he knows he's good at in the 2s, get some confidence back, and come back better than ever.

That's all I'm saying

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Noone is saying he is no good or should be delisted.

We are saying he should be doing better and that some bad habits have crept in to his game.

We should not be happy sitting 10th.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
Mod - please dergister me.
So you are happy with being 10th? You think everything is going perfectly?
No room for improvement?
A 2019 flag is a mere formality?

ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Well I was at the game and having a keen interest in Mav I kept my eye out for him.

His game can be summed up with the following sentence... he did a few nice things but was largely unsighted. 16 disposals (7 of which came from marks, mostly uncontested) and 3 tackles suggests I'm right.
He was sighted sitting on the bench for 29% of the match.
Dunstan 65%, Lonie 69%, Weller 71%, Gresham 73% time on ground each spent heaps of time on the bench.
Probably means we really only had need for 3 of them in team not 4.

I think sadly Lonie gets dropped after one game back, for Steele even though Sandy had a bye.
Lonie didn't get much game time and has to play small forward in the AFL with no midfield time like in the VFL.
If Rice comes into the 22 then probably Dunstan goes out too.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Junior
Club Player

Has been putrid most of the season.

His role is a small forward so the two basic skills required are goal kicking and tackling.

His kicking for goal is a disgrace and he is not sticking his tackles, needs a spell either if the VFL or rested if he is carrying something.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Mav has been a little out of form in the past few weeks, but it's ridiculous to describe his play as "putrid."

Also, his tendency to prop and run around seems to me to be largely due to his being a pretty one-sided player, not because he's showing off or whatever ridiculous explanation some of you might have.

Mav is good quality footballer. If the club was silly enough to put Mav up for trade, he'd attract much more interest and a much higher price than quite a few players at our club who are beloved of many posters on here.

Some of the nonsense that gets posted on here...sign!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
dragit
Saintsational Legend

What kind of pick do you think he'd attract?

A guy delisted from a bottom club who were destitute for leadership, taken as a rookie by another bottom club... and now struggling to stay in the side.

Potentially a third rounder? He wouldn't get a game at most clubs.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:What kind of pick do you think he'd attract?

A guy delisted from a bottom club who were destitute for leadership, taken as a rookie by another bottom club... and now struggling to stay in the side.

Potentially a third rounder? He wouldn't get a game at most clubs.
I do think he's better than that... or at least he can be

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We've had some posters leave in a huff before only to see them change their mind and come back but this is surely the quickest ever.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Has been putrid most of the season.

His role is a small forward so the two basic skills required are goal kicking and tackling.

His kicking for goal is a disgrace and he is not sticking his tackles, needs a spell either if the VFL or rested if he is carrying something.
Mav has been playing injured.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

So the club believes he is so brilliant he can play injured?
If they believe that they are dumber than I thought.
And how does being injured explain his poor decision making, going back in to traffic and ignoring the best options?

I am calling bulls***. He might play sore - buy 90% of AFL players play sore most of the time.

linz
Club Player

I've been disappointed with Mav's output this year too and I've been surprised he's held his spot in the team for so long.

I'm wondering if his role in the local "Mav's World" Social Media spot is keeping him in the side. I can't imagine it making any difference but

can "Mav's World" be commentated by a Sandringham player as well? Maybe Mav could take his world to Sandy for a while. :(

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't know Con, I reckon there's something to this...

He's way down on last year. Maybe he's not able to train as hard during the week and his fitness is down?

Something's not right

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintly wrote:

So the club believes he is so brilliant he can play injured?
If they believe that they are dumber than I thought.
And how does being injured explain his poor decision making, going back in to traffic and ignoring the best options?

I am calling bulls***. He might play sore - buy 90% of AFL players play sore most of the time.
Mav intimated it himself on radio.

and don't call me bull sh.t

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I don't know Con, I reckon there's something to this...

He's way down on last year. Maybe he's not able to train as hard during the week and his fitness is down?

Something's not right
It is quite possible. But I never understand why clubs play injured players unless it is the end of the year and the player is a gun.
Just get him right. If he needs a few weeks off then so be it.
He isn't so elite he can play injured. He's just not that good a player.
He needs to be at full capacity.

Junior
Club Player

I am a fan of Mav but he has not been up to scratch, he simply is not good enough to play injured.

His game is based on effort, aggression and work rate and he appears to have no power which is the cornerstone of his game.

I think the majority of us rate him as a player, but regardless of whether he is injured or not he is not able to get the job done at the moment.

The club should do the right thing and rest him if he is not right, I have no doubt he is carrying an ankle but suspect he also has a groin injury.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

If he is genuinely injured then I am more worried about the club than mav... Robbo said recently that he shouldn't have been playing a couple of years back but continued to get games because he put his hand up.

We've just got to get better than asking players if they are right to go.

That said, Mavs numbers are basically all up from last year apart from goals and tackles, I think we might just be overrating his output last year which was solid, but far from elite.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Assuming we are heading into a finals campaign I know who I'd love to have out there. If Mav is fit, and if Mav has no issues with his body he is easily best 22.

I think more than ever before we have to rest and 'manage' players so that they earn their keep and - most importantly - so that they can be at their best. That's why coaches need to have faith in the depth of our whole list and coaches need to keep every player on their toes without guaranteeing any spots in the team. Isn't that what Richo did with Josh Bruce? And isn't that what he's done with Dunstan? Not saying that Dunstan is best 22, but in the long run, I'm glad he gave Juice a kick in the bum.

Resting a guy like Mav or resting a kid like Steele is not a bad thing. Rooy also admitted he should have been rested a lot earlier than his forced ommisions. I think we need to do the same with Gresh and with JB and certainly give Mav Weller a spell in the next few weeks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Last night I heard one "supporter" - drunk as a skunk (apologies to Tim Membrey) with a gut that would put Jabba the Hutt to shame, yelling out "get back to the VFL Weller! You're f****n useless" in full view of opposition supporters :roll: If that's the kind of encouragement shown by fans like him, then it's no phuckin wonder we only have one flag!
You should have had him evicted for abuse. I would have. Without hesitation.