Sinclair

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Sinclair

longtimesaint wrote:Let's hope the club is working on extending the contracts of Billings, Roberton, Gilbert, Webster and Sinclair.
All these players have been among our best this year and presumably all only contracted for this year.
The whole gist of my post, being worried the club might trade him, hinges on these facts:
- his contract is up end of the year
- we have to delist or trade a number of players (I don't know how many)
- I see JB, Robbo, Gilbo, Webster (all ending this yr) as being re-signed
- Lonie and Savage might go
- if we have to find one more to drop, only SIncs is out of contract
- I see Sincs as essential to the future due to his skill and class

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

Have to agree here, I admit I didn't think Sinc's would make the cut early days, but, he is one player that had really come on and I think we need to re-sign him!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
longtimesaint
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:Let's hope the club is working on extending the contracts of Billings, Roberton, Gilbert, Webster and Sinclair.
All these players have been among our best this year and presumably all only contracted for this year.
The whole gist of my post, being worried the club might trade him, hinges on these facts:
We have to have at least three picks in the national draft.
Therefore we only need to de-list three players from our senior list (it can be more if we wish)
Dempster has retired and Holmes is almost certain to be de-listed which means there is one more required.
I would think that they would de-list either Jack Lonie, Darren Minchington or Lewis Pierce in preference to Sinclair who has really stepped up this year.
Also Joey may retire or be transferred to the rookie list (as Schneider did)

One year will be our year
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Therefore we only need to de-list three players from our senior list (it can be more if we wish)
Dempster has retired and Holmes is almost certain to be de-listed which means there is one more required.
I would think that they would de-list either Jack Lonie, Darren Minchington or Lewis Pierce in preference to Sinclair who has really stepped up this year.
Thank you x 1000 for answering my burning question about "how many we have to delist"
I was scared the brains at the club might dangle Sincs as bait.
I am now relieved.
We have the picks and money to go a-huntin' in the trade period...
I hope Pierce and Meatball stay.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Vazelos
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Only Jack Lonie is out of contract at end of year....
Minchington has another year and Lewis has 2 more years!!

We also have 2 outstanding rookies in NOK and Marshall that will command a senior contract plus 3 Draft picks... ( does that include Free Agent Picks?).

Dempster gone & I agree Holmes is cactus...
Seems to me a few more need to come off the list....
Not an easy task as no one really stares at me as a definite exit...
You have a few others coming out of contract-
Top 5 are definite to be resigned, bottom 5 some hard decisions to make.
Some contracted players may be traded also out of the club as part of deals..

Webster 2017 - heard he resigned in here yesterday.
Billings 2017
Roberton 2017 ( June 2015)
Sinclair 2017 ( 2016)
Gilbert 2017 ( Aug 2015)

Lonie 2017 ( Sept 2015)
Savage 2017 ( Dec 2015)
Montagna 2017 ( Mar 2016)
Riewoldt 2017 ( June 2016)
Holmes - 2017 ( oct 2016)

stonecold
SS Life Member

I think Lonie, Savage and Holmes are gone, one of Joey/Rooey will go, injury dependent with Roo of course!!!!!

With Pierce signed for two more years, one of Hickey/Longer will be offered as Trade Bait, also depending on which free agent we acquire(mid-field gun), one of Dunstan/Armo or Meaty may also be Traded!!!!!

This will also allow for Marshall to be upgraded!!!!!

On current form and if it continues, Gilbo gets another year, same with Sinc's, if he's form continues, give him two more years!!!!!

If Paddy wants out (and only if), then shop him around for a first rounder, but otherwise keep him and develop him!!!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Resigned essentially is the opposite of Re-signed

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Resigned essentially is the opposite of Re-signed
As in:-
If Sinclair is not re-signed - I will be resigning my membership [seriously]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Seems to me a few more need to come off the list....Not an easy task as no one really stares at me as a definite exit...
And therein is the problem of our list at present. While there are not so many real duds, we also have way too few genuine stars.

There are quite a few on our list that can go ok in the 22 as support players, the bottom 6 if you will. But without those out and out guns in the top 6 at present we are just shuffling fringe players with more fringe players and so we are just treading water at present and not progressing.

Plus if we had extra those real stars, they would make our average and fringe players play better.

The list mangers need to really prioritse QUALITY over QUANTITY now.

For many years it has largely been about quantity, and filling all positions. And this went ok in rebuilding the list and making us more competitive. It has built a good foundation for success, but it will not take us all the way. We now desperately need to improve the quality in the team. We need more genuine guns, and overal we need some better ball users as overall on our list we have many players that do not use the ball well.
Geary for example is elite in many areas. But use of the ball is not one of them. A Geary in your 22 can be excellent, but a team full of players with Geary's disposal skills, and disposal decision making ability does not fora Top 4 Team make.

This is why Sinclair is good for our team. He uses the bal well and makes good decisions.

So with our list management , YES they will have to cull some players that might go ok at AFL level. BUT this is needed to fit in some QUALITY talent. What I do not want to see is just average players out for average players in now.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 20 Jun 2017 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:[quote="Vazelos"
Seems to me a few more need to come off the list....Not an easy task as no one really stares at me as a definite exit...
And therein is the problem of our list at present. While there are not so many real duds, we also have way too few genuine stars.

There are quite a few on our list that can go ok in the 22 as support players, the bottom 6 if you will. But without those out and out guns in the top 6 at present we are just shuffling fringe players with more fringe players and so we are just treading water at present and not progressing.

Plus if we had extra those real stars, they would make our average and fringe players play better.

The list mangers need to really prioritse QUALITY over QUANTITY now.

For many years it has largely been about quantity, and filling all positions. And this went ok in rebuilding the list and making us more competitive. It has built a good foundation for success, but it will not take us all the way. We now desperately need to improve the quality in the team. We need more genuine guns, and overal we need some better ball users as overall on our list we have many players that do not use the ball well.
Geary for example is elite in many areas. But use of the ball is not one of them. A Geary in your 22 can be excellent, but a team full of players with Geary's disposal skills, and disposal decision making ability does not fora Top 4 Team make.

This is why Sinclair is good for our team. He uses the bal well and makes good decisions.

So with our list management , YES they will have to cull some players that might go ok at AFL level. BUT this is needed to fit in some QUALITY talent. What I do not want to see is just average players out for average players in now.
see above where I put text in bold, about Fringe Players.
Excellent comment there.

We've had a few players come along and really step up (Seb and Webster- I'm looking at you 2)
guys who had to cope with injuries and have really advanced and become wonderful players.
Then we've got players who just float in and out, had been drafted at the same time,
who can't be seen as part of the future.
Meatball, Wright, Lonie are 3 that come to mind. Had chances but just don't lift from 'fringe' to 'valuable'
They only have short-term impact and don't show any signs of cementing a spot.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:#35 on his back, that's enough to make any player worth his salt work hard at his game.

I think we have a real treasure in Sinclair. He obviously worked hard on the defensive side of his game during his long stint at Sandi last year, and sure worked on his endurance over the pre-season. Wasn't he in the top 3 or 4 in some of the time trials?

The lad's obviously coachable, takes criticism onboard, has a strong work ethic, so combine those traits with his natural skills I'm sure he'll deliver the goods for years with the Saints.

Seems to have all the time in the world, just like Nicky Dal.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

We've had a few players come along and really step up (Seb and Webster- I'm looking at you 2)
guys who had to cope with injuries and have really advanced and become wonderful players.
Then we've got players who just float in and out, had been drafted at the same time,
who can't be seen as part of the future.
Meatball, Wright, Lonie are 3 that come to mind. Had chances but just don't lift from 'fringe' to 'valuable'
They only have short-term impact and don't show any signs of cementing a spot.[/quote]

I don't disagree with meatball and wright - although contracts might complicate things (think Saunders last year was it?) - but way too early to call on Lonie. When his body is like Gresham's then I think we will see a footballer with a very high iq deliver in a consistent basis. At the moment he is just underdone physically. He already shows more signs in the midfield than the previous two and just needs a bit more confidence to get to his best. Definitely worth persisting with.

If I was making the hard call right now, it would be Dempster, Holmes, Savage, possibly one of Roo/joey, move one or two of Wright/Meetball/Lewis onto rookie lost. That's 4-6 places freed up.

Club Player

I' Ve said it before - Sinclair is tracking in a very similar way to Sam Mitchell. MAy not ever be as good but he will be our version, he has the vision and skill. LEts hope the poise comes and the confidence to wait and wait for the opponent to commit. THus space is created.
I'm a fan!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:I' Ve said it before - Sinclair is tracking in a very similar way to Sam Mitchell. MAy not ever be as good but he will be our version, he has the vision and skill. LEts hope the poise comes and the confidence to wait and wait for the opponent to commit. THus space is created.
I'm a fan!
Sorry but don't see the Sam Mitchell comparison at all. Mitchell is an inside player who gets his own ball and creates opportunities for players like Sinclair who is more of an outside player/finisher.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is an outside player in th AFL, in the VFL he's an inside mid, a few years ago he was a small forward.

It really depends on the role of player in the team... we pigeon hole the at StK (apparently Wright and Weller are only fwds now?)

Mitch does win inside footy, but few players in the game get on the outside of the contest and distribute as much as him. He is mainly outside these days and they look for him.

I think Sinclair moves a lot like Mitchell

Short, chunky, low centre of gravity, good lateral movement, neat foot skills, good vision, tough and creative!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he would consider leaving. Once his mate signs so will he. Why all the negativity???

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stonecold
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:I don't think he would consider leaving. Once his mate signs so will he. Why all the negativity???
Think we'll find now that the pay deal is done, all three, being, Billings, Robbo and Sinc's will be signed very quickly!!!!!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Sign Sinclair up for 3yrs, the kid is exactly what we need going forward.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I would be surprised if he was not considered a required player.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Yeah I would be surprised if he was not considered a required player.
Wright will be delisted- contract expires end of year
Holmes? probably
Sincs is safe, will get 2 years at least

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I'd probably offer him 3 x 270k.
Or
260 2018
280 2019
300 2020
What if someone team offers him 500k? Do we match it??
That team will likely be from Adelaide. There is VERY strong interest in him.

... whcih s%its me to tears as I geuinely believe he's a part of our future. Makes good decisions, excellent kick, reasonable tank, can play on the outside. All the attributes that No. 7 doesn't possess. I know which one I'd rather lose.

Losing a Jack Sinclair would bite us on the ar$e like a certain T Lynch does every week watching him play for Adelaide. Cheers Ross :(

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:Sign Sinclair up for 3yrs, the kid is exactly what we need going forward.
Correct. Definitely gone past a one-trick midget in Lonie and is now a genuine mid with class and skills. Please Lord he stays. JUST SIGN HIM ST KFC!!

Go you red, black & white warriors
older saint
SS Life Member

Just because a player is under contract doesn't mean they cannot be traded or delisted, just means with delisted they have a pay out clause .

That said at this point :

Dempster ( retired) , Joey (retire), Holmes, Pierce

Big 10 -12 weeks coming up for : Lonie, Minchington, Savage, Wright,