Unlnikely to play Bruce, Roo, McCartin & Membrey at once

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

Unlnikely to play Bruce, Roo, McCartin & Membrey at once

In his post match press conference, Richardson said it is unlikely we will play all 4 of Bruce, Roo, McCartin & Membrey in the same team. It would make us unbalanced.

I think it would be great to play all 4 in the same team! Riewoldt on the wing and half back if needed, Membrey half forward to wing, Bruce as he plays at the moment and McCartin deep. I don't know why we can't afford to keep one player deep forward. There are times where we cause a turn over but have to slow down for nothing to kick to. With these four guys in the same team, we would have someone leading up to the kicker no matter where the kicker is on the ground. Membrey in particular can be really damaging as a link man, his field kicking is excellent and his goal kicking still is not the money in the bank it was last year.

Would anyone else like to see this? It's all moot since it is unlikely to happen (meaning won't), but I don't see us being unbalanced as a result. Maybe the opposition would walk the ball out of our forward 50 too easily but if Roo is a wingman that leaves three guys - Billings, Weller, Gresham - who should be pressuring on the ground.

Tangential points here are that we too often have two guys up to mark the ball. Often Bruce and Membrey will spoil one another in the air. Often two guys lead into the same spot.

Also, on Josh Bruce, this guy is a paragon for work ethic. He gets dropped, works on what he has been dropped for and comes back into the team working as hard as ever. Very impressive, a great role model.

Speaking of moot points, all of this is a moot point if we score 1.5 behinds for every goal, as was the case last night.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Unlnikely to play Bruce, Roo, McCartin & Membrey at once

carn_sainter wrote:Would anyone else like to see this? It's all moot since it is unlikely to happen (meaning won't), but I don't see us being unbalanced as a result. Maybe the opposition would walk the ball out of our forward 50 too easily but if Roo is a wingman that leaves three guys - Billings, Weller, Gresham - who should be pressuring on the ground.
I would rather see this than us continuing to play an ineffectual small forward like Minchington, Wright or Lonie. But it probably would make us a little unbalanced and slow up forward, so that's a risk. Perhaps Membrey could play more of the role of a smaller forward, although he doesn't seem quite quick enough to me.
Tangential points here are that we too often have two guys up to mark the ball. Often Bruce and Membrey will spoil one another in the air. Often two guys lead into the same spot. Also, on Josh Bruce, this guy is a paragon for work ethic. He gets dropped, works on what he has been dropped for and comes back into the team working as hard as ever. Very impressive, a great role model.
In my book, it's Bruce who is responsible for most of the "friendly fire". There's nothing intrinsically wrong with two guys going for the ball at the same time, if they do it in a coordinated way that spoils their opponents. But Bruce seems to me to get a bit of tunnel vision when he's going for the ball.

But he was one of our better players last night IMO. And Membrey was ok too.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Roo's knees look to have limited his movement and flexibility for wing half back right now.
The mobile, hard running, hard working forward line looks far better without Paddy at the moment.
If Bruce is ever dropped again for Paddy I'll do a Terry Wallace and "spew me guts up".

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

When McCartin plays the team is unbalanced.
Unbalanced like only having 17 players on the field.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Well if that's the case, Riewoldt goes out for McCartin.

I can accept McCartin not playing based on form, but leaving him out and delaying his development because of structure is plain stupid.

I love Riewoldt as we all do, however if he cannot play midfield (wing) or half back, then dare I say it, he becomes a list clogger.

McCartin needs games, a good run at it, we've invested a lot in him. Bruce & Membrey also need experience.

Hard calls need to be made. I actually believe you can play all four, if Riewoldt doesn't play forward.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote:Well if that's the case, Riewoldt goes out for McCartin.

I can accept McCartin not playing based on form, but leaving him out and delaying his development because of structure is plain stupid.

I love Riewoldt as we all do, however if he cannot play midfield (wing) or half back, then dare I say it, he becomes a list clogger.

McCartin needs games, a good run at it, we've invested a lot in him. Bruce & Membrey also need experience.

Hard calls need to be made. I actually believe you can play all four, if Riewoldt doesn't play forward.
+1

Works for me.
Roo on a wing drags a talented defender around the ground, tires out that guy,
meaning one less oppo...running back to intercept or cover another Saint.
So Rooey's effect is two fold.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:When McCartin plays the team is unbalanced.
Paddy is an old fashioned kick and mark man like Kosi.
When the ball hits the ground or is spoilt he essentially a witch's hat.
The thing is - in the AFL - you play against quality defenders meaning that having the ball spoilt is the norm.
The 'pack mark' player like Levi Casboult (who is much much bigger than Paddy) are essentially not valuable players.

Look at the Tigers fwd line today

HF Kane Lambert (small), Sam Lloyd (small), Josh Caddy (medium)
F Daniel Rioli (small), Jack Riewoldt (tall), Dan Butler (small)

talls: 1
mediums: 1
smalls: 4

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Ideally Roo plays his floating wing role, but unfortunately his body won't allow it atm.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Hard calls need to be made. I ACTUALLY BELIEVE YOU CAN PLAY ALL FOUR, SO LONG AS RIEWOLDT DOESN'T PLAY FORWARD
So do I. In fact we did, successfully, several times last season.

ace
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

+1

Works for me.
Roo on a wing drags a talented defender around the ground, tires out that guy,
meaning one less oppo...running back to intercept or cover another Saint.
So Rooey's effect is two fold.
If the opposition plays a quality midfielder on Riewoldt's wing he can run the socks off Riewoldt for pace.
Just don't kick it where Riewoldt can mark it.
Riewoldt has to be able to move into a goal scoring position marking position to prevent this happening.
That forces the opposition to match him with a defender.
But Riewodlt moving forward from time to time clogs the forward line with too many talls.
Besides Sandy needs McCartin more than St Kilda.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Was it just me, or did Membrey play back for periods last night?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The thing is - in the AFL - you play against quality defenders meaning that having the ball spoilt is the norm.
The 'pack mark' player like Levi Casboult (who is much much bigger than Paddy) are essentially not valuable players.

They lost

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

And richmond lost which is a real pity

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:s.

Con, Richmond would low to have a second genuine key forward to complement Riewoldt. But they don't have one as Griffiths is out with concussion.

It is also why they were chasing Schache

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....