Jack Steven - cast your minds back...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Jack Steven - cast your minds back...

Some on hear may remeber Jack S's progression better than me...I'd love to look at it a little more closely. I certainly remeber him coning in as a srumbing small forward when he was first getting games...he was in and out of the team...what was he like in the vfl before he was a regular? did he play as mid as a junior? was he alwasy going to be a gun mid - not that many thought so going on his draft position?? When did he start transitioning more into the senior side in the mid field - i just can't rmemeber how long it took him to start getting good numbers and looking like a star of the suture with his explosve pace, two way running etc...

I will be howled down for this, but I think Lonie looks like he will have the ability to become a midfielder...he clearly does it well at VFl level getting huge numbers, he's got good pace off the mark, likes to tackle and has a good and growing tank...his field kicking has always been good and he has quick hands and pretty good evasion in traffic...Does he remind anyone else of a young steven before he was a star? Of all our young small forwards (gresham, minch, lonie, wright, sinclair...Billings has already shown he's clearly made it and will only get better) - I reckon Lonie and gresham show the most abilityto play in the middle and be very good mids, they just need opportunity. I can't see why they aren't given more middle time when dunstan and steele regularly struggle to crack 20 posi's a game with regularity just yet...surely playing these guys, and unclude minch in here...it's not like we have heaps to lose by trying more players as out and out mids...just a thought.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven - cast your minds back...

I seem to remember Stuv debuting against a red hot Geelong, collecting a few possies, but notably exploding forward of the wing to slam through a sensational goal from half forward flank...or maybe that was a mix of his first few in a colourful sepia toned montage. However, IMO, he looked like a gun from day one. Anyway, Lyon dropped him the next week I believe.

I regard to Lonie, yes he loves a tackle, but they never stick...I reckon he just loves throwing himself about. Could he make it in the AFL as a mid? I'd only be guessing, I just hope he has a cracker tonight!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He's got all the tools and the drive and attitude. The only thing really holding him back is size. Maybe he can stack on a few kilos, but I doubt he's going to get taller.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

degruch wrote:I seem to remember Stuv debuting against a red hot Geelong, collecting a few possies, but notably exploding forward of the wing to slam through a sensational goal from half forward flank...or maybe that was a mix of his first few in a colourful sepia toned montage. However, IMO, he looked like a gun from day one. Anyway, Lyon dropped him the next week I believe.

I regard to Lonie, yes he loves a tackle, but they never stick...I reckon he just loves throwing himself about. Could he make it in the AFL as a mid? I'd only be guessing, I just hope he has a cracker tonight!
He kicked the winning goal against the cats in a NAB cup game in the bush somewhere I think.

His first real game was in Tassie against the Hawks in that famous 2009 game.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I am confident that Jack Lonie will be just as good as Jack Steven.
Last edited by perfectionist on Fri 16 Jun 2017 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lonie has the skills. But not Jack's pace!

With Jack in his games in the Twos you could see that touch of brilliance, even when he was having a quiet game, which made you take notice and think yes that this guy could be very good.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was excellent in the VFL in 09 along with Armo

Should have been developed quicker

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lonie tends to throw his weight around a bit too much. You often see him having a go at a much bigger oppositian player. (Though he is battling to find a smaller one than himself).

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

His skills have dropped off.

Like almost everyone at the moment, he makes poor decisions, misses targets and misses goals.

You can't be a skillful little goal kicking small forward if you're not skillful and aren't kicking goals.

That's his problem.

SMS
Club Player

Lonie is a gun.
Ridiculous people here have no idea. He would be the most skilled player we have. You try playing senior footy at 177cm and what 69kg??
He is so light. Thats his only problem. If he can build strength he will be an amazing player. Heres hoping.