Longer - say it loud and proud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

repta
Club Player

Re: Longer - say it loud and proud

Seriously, what has happened to the ruckman in AFL. We have three on our list that have the best football attribute as being 'tall'. Longer, Pierce and Homes have zero talent in finding the ball around the ground let alone actually being able to kick it if it does fall in their lap. I am not so much knocking Holmes because what 3 years ago he had never heard of the game. But that is about the state of ruckman in todays football.

We should put a sign on the door.
Situations Vacant, apply if you are 200cm or taller, are able to jump, run 10km and dont mind the physical stuff.
On the job training for how to tap a contested ball. No other skills required.

It just shocks me that you can earn so much and be so incompetent and yet there is no one better to take over (mmm....line ball with politicians).

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Witts and Wright both towelled him up tonight. 18 kicks, 10 marks and 3.3 compared to 1 kick... @_o
No wonder they towelled him up, he played on both all by himself did he?????

Stop stacking the stats in your arguments favour!!!!!

Haha exactly. The_Dud would you have stats on Longer verse the whole GCS team? Want to see who came on top in that one too.

Shakes head at the reasoning skills on this forum.

stkfc1
Club Player

Has anyone else done a player comparison on Longer against other ruckman on Footywire? Its unbelievably bad. Longer isnt anywhere near an AFL footballer. After the bounce and ruck dual we are effectively a player short after that. Now all the noise is Holmes was always the best tap amongst the four ruckman. So if thats all Billy is bringing to the table why not play Holmes who's better in the ruck contest? Any other player with similar stats would have been dropped ages ago. In all seriousness we might as well go in without a ruck and play an extra midfielder. Have Carlise, Gilbert and Bruce go through there. It statistically couldnt be any worse.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hickey a chance this week?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote:Has anyone else done a player comparison on Longer against other ruckman on Footywire? Its unbelievably bad. Longer isnt anywhere near an AFL footballer. After the bounce and ruck dual we are effectively a player short after that. Now all the noise is Holmes was always the best tap amongst the four ruckman. So if thats all Billy is bringing to the table why not play Holmes who's better in the ruck contest? Any other player with similar stats would have been dropped ages ago. In all seriousness we might as well go in without a ruck and play an extra midfielder. Have Carlise, Gilbert and Bruce go through there. It statistically couldnt be any worse.
The only reason why i think longer is getting a game is to increase his stocks. He will be traded or dropped at years end hopefully.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:The only reason why i think longer is getting a game is to increase his stocks.
I have nothing to base this on but I have a sneaking suspicion that you are correct - I have a feeling that the cue is in the rack on this season - if we get to the finals - fantastic - but I think (hope) that it is the coaching staff trying things, and sorting the wheat from the chaff for the rest of the season.

I wish there was a way we could know what the coaches are thinking/planning etc.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stonecold
SS Life Member

ROLS-LEE wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:Has anyone else done a player comparison on Longer against other ruckman on Footywire? Its unbelievably bad. Longer isnt anywhere near an AFL footballer. After the bounce and ruck dual we are effectively a player short after that. Now all the noise is Holmes was always the best tap amongst the four ruckman. So if thats all Billy is bringing to the table why not play Holmes who's better in the ruck contest? Any other player with similar stats would have been dropped ages ago. In all seriousness we might as well go in without a ruck and play an extra midfielder. Have Carlise, Gilbert and Bruce go through there. It statistically couldnt be any worse.
The only reason why i think longer is getting a game is to increase his stocks. He will be traded or dropped at years end hopefully.
The other reason is Hickey is giving nothing what so ever at any level this year!!!!!

For all Billy's faults, he at least.gives the mids some physical protection which Hickledick never does!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

stkfc1 wrote:In all seriousness we might as well go in without a ruck and play an extra midfielder. Have Carlise, Gilbert and Bruce go through there. It statistically couldnt be any worse.
Not as silly as it sounds.

I have a vague recollection of the Japanese rugby team not bothering to contest lineouts because they didn't have anyone tall enough. They still did OK. :idea:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Is it worth an experiment of running Gilbo as a rucking midfielder for a game - maybe against a weaker ruck combo?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:Is it worth an experiment of running Gilbo as a rucking midfielder for a game - maybe against a weaker ruck combo?

Peter and Paul story there!!!!!

At this stage, it's either Billy and what he brings or Hickledick, who on current form brings less!!!!!

It's a bit like, trying to pick a mother-in-law, no winning selection in most cases!!!!!

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Zero Marks again this week. Impressive that someone so tall can have so little impact.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
stonecold
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote:Zero Marks again this week. Impressive that someone so tall can have so little impact.
Back so soon Marto?????

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:Zero Marks again this week. Impressive that someone so tall can have so little impact.
Back so soon Marto?????
Caught me! I am Big Mart and also like to argue with myself for fun! :roll:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:Is it worth an experiment of running Gilbo as a rucking midfielder for a game - maybe against a weaker ruck combo?

At this stage, it's either Billy and what he brings or Hickledick, who on current form brings less!!!!!

It's a bit like, trying to pick a mother-in-law, no winning selection in most cases!!!!!
Not really a Peter/Paul story - we could bring Rice (Savage .... whomever) in for Longer, play them through the half back line and have Gilbo contest the ruck, and then be a line breaker from that position. It almost adds another midfielder. Not quite NicNat - but in that vein.

― Aristophanes

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Not really a Peter/Paul story - we could bring Rice (Savage .... whomever) in for Longer, play them through the half back line and have Gilbo contest the ruck, and then be a line breaker from that position. It almost adds another midfielder. Not quite NicNat - but in that vein.
Problem being Savage/Rice/whomever carnt play Gilbo's role and give Jake and/or Brown a chop out as Gilbo does!!!!!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Problem being Savage/Rice/whomever carnt play Gilbo's role and give Jake and/or Brown a chop out as Gilbo does!!!!!
But we don't lose Gilbo entirely - he rucks - acts as a midfielder or drifts back (the same as a few ruckmen drift forward) depending on needs

As I said - obviously not against Mummy - but maybe it is worth a try - we would not be losing much in the around the ground stakes - and if he can break even in the ruck - I would count that as a win.

― Aristophanes

realdeal
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
The other reason is Hickey is giving nothing what so ever at any level this year!!!!!

For all Billy's faults, he at least.gives the mids some physical protection which Hickledick never does!!!!!
At least we've actually seen Hickey contribute in some way, even if it was last year... He is capable of taking this team to another level. Longer has done SFA and gets dominated every single week.

Bruce did more in 5mins in the ruck against the Suns.. It's getting ridiculous now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: At least we've actually seen Hickey contribute in some way, even if it was last year... He is capable of taking this team to another level.
Hickey was sensational last season and would have come into All Australian discussions. He beat the eventual All Australian ruckman in Round 6 and broke even with him in Round 17. He was seldom beaten.

Why Longer is currently preferred is one of the great mysteries of life. He has his strengths. Is bigger and stronger and has a big tank. But he cannot give us what Hickey does around the ground.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
stonecold wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Witts and Wright both towelled him up tonight. 18 kicks, 10 marks and 3.3 compared to 1 kick... @_o
No wonder they towelled him up, he played on both all by himself did he?????

Stop stacking the stats in your arguments favour!!!!!

Haha exactly. The_Dud would you have stats on Longer verse the whole GCS team? Want to see who came on top in that one too.

Shakes head at the reasoning skills on this forum.
Must have been too hard to scroll about 3 posts under this one to see his stats against just Witts, being half the Suns ruck department?

Spoiler: Billy got his pants pulled down by a very average player.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

His name is Hickey. Why do keep calling him something else? Not on!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stonecold
SS Life Member

I always make up Nic names for everyone, is that against the law now too??????

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:I always make up Nic names for everyone, is that against the law now too??????
I think it's against the new rules.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

stonecold
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
stonecold wrote:I always make up Nic names for everyone, is that against the law now too??????

Thanks Jack Black, wouldn't surprise me, all part of the current witch hunt!!!!!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

Thanks Jack Black, wouldn't surprise me, all part of the current witch hunt!!!!!
"You can comment on Saints players and officials but you can’t abuse, demean or cast dispersions on them or their family, poster can receive a warning or in extreme cases a 1 week ban".

I think your name for Hickey would contravene the demean part.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If Sandilands plays Longer should probably stay in - I've seen Sandilands monster Gardner before so you'd want your most robust ruck in against him at the hit outs. If not, maybe it's time to try Hickey again, or Holmes if Hickey's form doesn't warrant selection. This week is an important game - win this match interstate and the belief will begin to grow.
It seems like AR likes to play either Longer or Hickey until the other gets injured, and then throw Holmes in for the last couple of rounds of the season to give him a go, which seems like it's fair in that it gives each of them a chance to show what they can offer.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.