Longer - say it loud and proud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Longer - say it loud and proud

I am saying it LOUD AND PROUD !!!

I am a BILLY LONGER FAN !!!

He just gives his all and is rarely beaten

I think his career will be similar to that of Jason Blake - initially the whipping boy of supporters.....then grow into a much loved determined & courageous clubman - a player who gets the best out of his abilities.

Go the Mighty Bill

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Re: Longer - say it loud and proud

Don't mind the lad, better than Hickey as a ruck, doesn't give away stupid frees all the time

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
stonecold
SS Life Member

Where's all the Billy Bashing KeyBoard Cowboys?????

Probably too Busy, PaddyWhackin, Dunstan Dishing or Gilbo Gasin!!!!!

How important are you guys, bagging the Players, Coaches, Recruiting Staff, Admin and anyone in between!!!!!

Brilliant!!!!!

Pat yourselves on the back, oops too late, funny that!!!!!
Last edited by stonecold on Thu 15 Jun 2017 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Longer unfortunately is like a witches hat after every ball up or throw in. He was a higher pick than Grundy believe it or not.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Can ruck
Unfortunately ... cant
Mark
Kick
Handball

And for a big man has zero presence on the field ... other than in a ruck contest.

Shame really... because he does give first use of the ball.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:Can ruck
Unfortunately ... cant
Mark
Kick
Handball

And for a big man has zero presence on the field ... other than in a ruck contest.

The sad reality, repta. Just don't tell the resident snowflakes on here. !!!!!!!!!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stonecold
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:
Unfortunately ... cant
Mark
Kick
Handball

The sad reality, repta. Just don't tell the resident snowflakes on here. !!!!!!!!!
Still no PM?????

Just click my User Cowboy!!!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately ... cant
Mark
Kick
Handball

Who would of though playing a ruckman would have a presence in the ruck.

I reckon Longer had been terrific in the middle. His first priority.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Unfortunately ... cant
Mark
Kick
Handball

Still no PM?????

My lack of pm to you shows how much I respect you. And don't call me cowboy you halfwit. I won't reply again after this, because I think you're the biggest joke on this forum, going around threatening people without any intention of following through. Eighteen years a s a copper told me that the person who threatened you was the one you worried least about because they were full of s*** and scared. If you want to punch my head in along with BM and sundry others on here your tiny intellect can't cope with, meet me at the Victory Room or Aisle 32 tomorrow night. I'm the dude that looks like Nasty Canasta on my nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

White Winmar wrote:
stonecold wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Unfortunately ... cant
Mark
Kick
Handball

Still no PM?????

My lack of pm to you shows how much I respect you. And don't call me cowboy you halfwit. I won't reply again after this, because I think you're the biggest joke on this forum, going around threatening people without any intention of following through. Eighteen years a s a copper told me that the person who threatened you was the one you worried least about because they were full of s*** and scared. If you want to punch my head in along with BM and sundry others on here your tiny intellect can't cope with, meet me at the Victory Room or Aisle 32 tomorrow night. I'm the dude that looks like Nasty Canasta on my nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Stonecold". Haha the nickname says it all..
Professional wrestlers- showponies, fake, full of piss n wind
Making lots of wild claims, as Shakespeare said
"full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
carn_sainter
Club Player

I thought this was a paraphrasing of James Brown - Say It Loud, I'm Ruck & I'm Proud!

Longer is not a great player. He tries as much as his decent enough tank lets him and deserves points there, but the opposition do not have to worry about him. He is serviceable but I'd play Hickey before him every week if it was my choice.

In fact, I'd probably play pretty much most of our ruckmen since and including Lazar Vidovic before Longer, with the exception of Michael Rix, who, despite rocking rux, rocks rux less than Longer.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:I thought this was a paraphrasing of James Brown - Say It Loud, I'm Ruck & I'm Proud!

Longer is not a great player. He tries as much as his decent enough tank lets him and deserves points there, but the opposition do not have to worry about him. He is serviceable but I'd play Hickey before him every week if it was my choice.
Agree. Billy has his strengths, but then again so does Hickey. Namely being by far the better footballer of the two.

There's bound to be a time, not too far into the future, when Billy will need to be (managed).

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Michael Gardiner has been the best ruckman we have had in the last 20 years. Had he not done his hammy in the first quarter of GF1, then who knows what might have happened in the last quarter. Before him, Lazar Vidovic was the best in the previous 20 years - and we know what happened to him in the last five minutes of the last H&A game in 1997. Before him, Brian Mynott was our best ruckman, a serviceable player who got better with age and was a Vic representative late in his career, and did what was required in the 1966 GF. Billy does a good job in the ruck and is easily our best option at the moment. We need someone who is 210 cm tall, skilled on both sides and with the pace of Nick Winmar. Should be an easy pick up.

stonecold
SS Life Member

18 years on the force?????

You and I may have already crossed paths (different sides of the fence though), im not attending tonights match unfortunately, but look forward to accepting you invitation in the future!!!!!

I am not threatening anyone by the way, just sick and tired of the Cowboys that run down the players and Club!!!!!

May of you have obviously never played the game at a significant level, otherwise you would have a better understanding!!!!!

So how does a fictional cartoon character become a Coppa??????

By the way, when you do meet me, I'm the bloke that looks like StoneCold,, name given to me by my associates, case I look like him!!!!!

So, it now should be really easy to find each other and have a chat!!!!!

carn_sainter
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Michael Gardiner has been the best ruckman we have had in the last 20 years. Had he not done his hammy in the first quarter of GF1, then who knows what might have happened in the last quarter. Before him, Lazar Vidovic was the best in the previous 20 years - and we know what happened to him in the last five minutes of the last H&A game in 1997. Before him, Brian Mynott was our best ruckman, a serviceable player who got better with age and was a Vic representative late in his career, and did what was required in the 1966 GF. Billy does a good job in the ruck and is easily our best option at the moment. We need someone who is 210 cm tall, skilled on both sides and with the pace of Nick Winmar. Should be an easy pick up.

Good post, but i think you're neglecting to mention Peter Spider Everitt who, despite being labelled the ratty Frankston youth he may or may not have been, was an absolute gun. If i could resurrect an ex saints ruckman to join the team now, I'd take Spider

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who is the rookie that has eighteen years in the Police Force?

Saint wagga
Club Player

You can't deny Billy has improved this season, and is finding more of the pill, is using his frame around contests to more effect and his tap work has always been a strength. I was scathing of him when they dropped Hickey, especially after his first couple of games, but he has impressed me since with his work tank and has shown glimpses with his marking and link up play....i can see a very serviceable ruckman in there, maybe even a better version of big boy mcevoy if he can get his marking sorted (this can be improved - I've been watching a local SANFL ruckman clearly working on his marking in one on one practice with a coach just doing repetitive marks around the ground...they do about 50-60 marks per session, working on judging flight and taking the ball at the highest point and it's been very interesting to watch and the big fella is getting better by the week)...he is certainly going to take a few more years and another 50 odd games to really see what the 'real billy longer' will be capable of imo. I'm not sure if he will ever be a gun Dean Cox type player...he could, it's not out of the question

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes carn_sainter, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Everitt was not the sharpest tool in the shed, but showed lots of skill as a Ruck-foward (IMHO) I can still recall seeing a brief flash of his skills during one of his final games for us in 2002. Spider had been out of the side injured, for several weeks. He made his comeback against West Coast Eagles at the dome. In the opening minutes the ball had travelled into the forward fifty at the Lockett end. From a boundary throw in, the ball bobbled loose on the deck; Spider was in like lightening, scooping the ball up, then dropping it on to his boot for a team-lifting wonderful goal! Such skill for a big guy, to be able to grab the ball on the deck like that. I was IMPRESSED! Of course, we saw the "other" Spider in another game toward the end of that season, when we were coming back strongly in the fourth quarter against the cats ( who had entered the final stanza six goals up) all the momentum was with us, and only the clock stood in our way as wave after wave of Saints attacks had the catters defenders reeling, THEN, with only seconds remaining, as we once again came into the fifty, Everitt gives away a STUPID free kick, the cats get the ball back, ice the clock, siren goes, with us two points shy of Geelong :evil: :x
Spider was always an enigma....... perfectly suited to our culture I guess?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:... but i think you're neglecting to mention Peter Spider Everitt ...
I didn't neglect him, and gave him consideration but, as far as his time with us is concerned, he was more a ruck forward - yes, exceptionally skilled with his feet if not his head.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's hopeless

He is playing AFL because he's big... not because he's good

He dropped a mark last week an U14 would have taken.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I just don't see it.
Yes he gives 100% all the time but what I see is his 100% is not up to standard.
I still believe we have a better future with Hickey as he gives more around the ground.
Saying that Hickey comes with his own areas that aren't up to standard but a better option in my opinion.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
To the top
SS Life Member

The only question I would ask is how many times, in Longer's 50 AFL games, has his opposite number been BOG or very near BOG?

Perhaps someone can go thru those 50 games and list the opposition best players in those games.

If you wish to add to the 1966 Premiership, such a situation cannot maintain.

The great ruckmen from my time, so the Neil Button's, the Rick Davies' and the Peter Carey's became champion forwards - as did Peter Darley before them.

Such was their ability.

And they all played in Premiership sides - and multiple.

That is the difference.

The Recruit
Club Player

Billy is embarrassing

Hickey is a much better footballer...Longer is unfortunately and Ponger

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:Billy is embarrassing

Hickey is very good - except when he plays. We don't have a quality ruckman. Billy is the best of the two.

The Recruit
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
The Recruit wrote:Billy is embarrassing

Hickey is very good - except when he plays. We don't have a quality ruckman. Billy is the best of the two.
You have to be kidding.
Longer does not get the ball around the ground, his hands are like bricks, his tackling pressure is non existent, he cannot mark the footy.....how is he better than Hickey? Hickey does all of th above.

Longer was absolute garbage tonight

Champion data had him at 21 points Goldstein 127....and I do not want to even start in his last quarter.