A fully fit Roo the missing link in our gameplan?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milne
Club Player

A fully fit Roo the missing link in our gameplan?

We know that before the bye Roo was playing injured which compromised his ability to do what he does best i.e. run his opponent ragged, create a target and reliable mark the ball.

Without someone to kick to on the half forward flank the team looks lost, and often goes back across the goals only to get lost again coming off half back.

When Roo is fully fit he creates space and often ends up marking the ball, resulting in a lot more inside 50s and less turnovers.

I know we can't rely on Roo forever, but if he truly is fully fit he will make a big difference tomorrow night.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Re: A fully fit Roo the missing link in our gameplan?

Milne wrote:We know that before the bye Roo was playing injured which compromised his ability to do what he does best i.e. run his opponent ragged, create a target and reliable mark the ball.

Without someone to kick to on the half forward flank the team looks lost, and often goes back across the goals only to get lost again coming off half back.

When Roo is fully fit he creates space and often ends up marking the ball, resulting in a lot more inside 50s and less turnovers.

I know we can't rely on Roo forever, but if he truly is fully fit he will make a big difference tomorrow night.
Isn't this a problem then? We aren't challenging this year, so why are we bothering to rely on Rooey?

He won't be there for our next premiership challenge, so he should be in a purely development role, ideally he plays with both Bruce and McCartin in the team and takes a bit of heat off of them, and teach them the tricks of the trade

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A: No.

Opposition now push up and crowd us deny us the ability to switch. When they then force a turnover their forward line is normally open. This is why turnover goals are killing us at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Our guys have more numbers at the contest.
But if we win the ball, we just overdo the handball
until the oppo force the turnover.

The swans had #4 waiting outside like my dog waiting for crumbs.
We didn't stop him cos we thought we're better than them.

They all know how to play against us.
The whole comp knows it.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Our guys have more numbers at the contest.
But if we win the ball, we just overdo the handball
until the oppo force the turnover.

The swans had #4 waiting outside like my dog waiting for crumbs.
We didn't stop him cos we thought we're better than them.

They all know how to play against us.
The whole comp knows it.
The whole comp always knows how to play against us, there was a year when it took them 19 games to work us out, after that, we were lucky to win another game, let alone make
the granny.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately we haven't moved on from our reliance on Roo. That needs to change before 2019. In the meantime, use the time to phase him out, not forgetting the guy is a champion and critical to our fortunes.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Unfortunately we haven't moved on from our reliance on Roo. That needs to change before 2019. In the meantime, use the time to phase him out, not forgetting the guy is a champion and critical to our fortunes.
I'm with you. He needs to be out of the forward line for Paddy, Membrey and Bruce to develop. His knee injury in Round 1 threw a promising structure into disarray.

They decided to park him in the forward line and drop one of the younger guys. A mistake I feel. They should have made him take the time to get himself right and then resume upfield in the same role he played last season.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

So hard though, bigcarl, when you have a bloke of Roo's quality. I feel AR's dilemma. Do I go short term, or do I risk losses for an investment in the long term? I think AR is coaching for his career until the end of next year. Paddy hasn't come on as expected. Membrey and Bruce have stagnated. Goddard is injured. Battle and Marshall are promising but not ready. Interesting times ahead.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:So hard though, bigcarl, when you have a bloke of Roo's quality. I feel AR's dilemma. Do I go short term, or do I risk losses for an investment in the long term? I think AR is coaching for his career until the end of next year. Paddy hasn't come on as expected. Membrey and Bruce have stagnated. Goddard is injured. Battle and Marshall are promising but not ready. Interesting times ahead.

Yes, I can see his dilemma. What the former skipper wants carries considerable weight, as it should after him being so good for so long.

Thing is, they are not going to develop unless they are given responsibility. They are going to stagnate as long as we keep going back to Rooey as an answer.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:A: No.

Opposition now push up and crowd us deny us the ability to switch. When they then force a turnover their forward line is normally open. This is why turnover goals are killing us at present.
A: Yes.

The link, being Roo in this instance, is normally thereabouts, which is why we were initially quite successful in effecting the switch. With the opposition push us as per usual, the clearing disposal to the link man is now a fumbled third handpass and resulting turn-over. With Roo gone I'm sure Richo would have sent Bruce up the ground to attempt this role, but he was at Sandy. I can help but thing we'll be throwing the kitchen sink at Martin to fill this position next year.