2014 Draft - the draft that changed the world?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

2014 Draft - the draft that changed the world?

Ok, so the title is a tad dramatic.

But check this out:

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Te ... 20List.pdf

In a nutshell, Kevin Sheahan and Mick Ablett picked a 40-man squad from the potential 2014 draftees.

They divided it up into positional groups, and listed their opinion on the best in those groups. Basically, their 40 best young players heading into the draft of 2014.

If you could be bothered, you'll see some familiar names...

McCartin
Goddard
McKenzie
Steele

So fast forward to 2017, and we managed to snare 10% of that entire list.

Steele is a gun, averaging 21 touches and 7.2 tackles per game for us. He's only played 28 games of footy.
McCartin is a big man in a big boy's body - and yet he's already being genuinely competitive in his position. To put this into perspective:

Patrick McCartin Name Tom Hawkins
22 Career Games 200
21yr 1mth Age 28yr 10mth
194cm Height 198cm
95kg Weight 110kg
2017 Stats for Season 2017
5 Games 11
8.0 Kicks Per Game 8.4
3.6 Handballs Per Game 4.2
11.6 Disposals Per Game 12.6
4.6 Marks Per Game 4.2
1.0 Goals Per Game 2.7
1.6 Behinds Per Game 1.4
2.2 Inside 50s Per Game 1.4
0.6 Goal Assists Per Game 0.7
4.8 Contested Possessions Per Game 7.3
6.8 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 5.0
7.0 Effective Disposals Per Game 8.3
2.6 Clangers Per Game 2.6
1.0 Contested Marks Per Game 1.9
1.4 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 2.4

McCartin is only 4cms shorter than Hawkins, is nearly 8 years younger and 15kgs lighter! Oh, and he's played 180 less games. Hawkins also has Dangerfield and Selwood in the middle, and is playing in a top 4 side. And as everyone likes to point out - McCartin isn't exactly on fire yet.
However this season he's already averaging more Marks than Hawkins, more Goal Assists and more Inside 50s! Hawkins only averages 1 more Contested Mark than him, and only 1 more Disposal each week!

Do I need to repeat that McCartin is only 21 and has only played 20 odd games??

Then there's the other two...

Goddard spruiked as a top 10 by most experts, and he's pretty much yet to play for us. But check this comparison with Jacob Weitering out...

Hugh Goddard Name Jacob Weitering
St Kilda Saints Team Carlton Blues
9 Career Games 31
196cm Height 195cm
98kg Weight 96kg
2015 Stats for Season 2016
8 Games 20
4.2 Kicks Per Game 8.2
7.6 Handballs Per Game 6.4
11.9 Disposals Per Game 14.6
3.9 Marks Per Game 5.3
0.9 Tackles Per Game 1.2
5.6 Contested Possessions Per Game 4.8
6.5 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 9.3
9.5 Effective Disposals Per Game 11.8
79.8% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 80.8%
0.5 Contested Marks Per Game 1.2
1.9 Rebound 50s Per Game 2.5
5.8 One Percenters Per Game 3.6

Just 2.7 less Disposals than Weitering, only 1.4 less Marks. More Contested Possessions though. From 8 games in a decimated backline, Goddard's performance probably went under the radar.

As for McKenzie, he's not setting the world on fire, but he has averaged 18.5 Disposals and 7.5 Marks for his 2 games this year - up from 12.7 and 3.7 last season. So there's improvement in terms of him finding the pill. Effective Disposals have steadily improved from 8.6 in 2015, to 10.1 in 2016 - to 14.5 this season too.

So is there a chance that we could look back at the 2014 Draft as 'the one'??

goods
Club Player

Re: 2014 Draft - the draft that changed the world?

Goddard is a gun/will be a gun.
Paddy will grow into a gun. Im 100% convinced

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Never let the facts get in the way of a good dose of hysteria, JM. On those figures, things look pretty good. I guess the thing that stings is that Petracca is showing plenty. Like you, I'm hopeful and pretty certain Goddard will realise his potential. I remember the shock on trout's face when he was still there at pick 21. He's the one who could be the steal of that draft. Pity about the Achilles injury, which was a big setback. Seems to have recovered well and ahead of schedule.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I saw a fair bit of Goddard as a junior and at 13 - 16 you'd have pencilled him in as potential number one pick.
Obviously the name Goddard didnt hurt his profile.

At 16/17 he looked like he went through a big growth spurt and as he grew his athleticism seemed to diminish, he looked slower and a little awkward in comparison to his younger years.
It appeared he needed to grow into his body (if that makes sense).

His stocks depleted a little at 17 and he slipped down the order.
I think the questions were pace and lateral movement, this would not be helped by his achillies injury.

He has the skill set and smarts to be a footballer and I'm sure we will give him the development time.
I think he may be better suited forward in the long run.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Wombat15
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: He has the skill set and smarts to be a footballer and I'm sure we will give him the development time.
the one thing i noticed what he lacks in pace he makes up for in his positional work. Always puts his body in line and racks up the 1%ers. Probably very good for his development to have Carlisle and Brown mentoring him.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote: He has the skill set and smarts to be a footballer and I'm sure we will give him the development time.
the one thing i noticed what he lacks in pace he makes up for in his positional work. Always puts his body in line and racks up the 1%ers. Probably very good for his development to have Carlisle and Brown mentoring him.
Haven't seen him much at Zebra's, only on TV.
Is he only suited to playing on the really big monster forwards?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Really good post, good to see some stats show that he isn't actually that far off where we need him to be

He will put his game together sooner or later, and I'm willing to wait for that.

On Goddard, his development was crippled by that injury, but he will be able to work himself back, and he will become a good player

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
loris
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:Really good post, good to see some stats show that he isn't actually that far off where we need him to be

He will put his game together sooner or later, and I'm willing to wait for that.

On Goddard, his development was crippled by that injury, but he will be able to work himself back, and he will become a good player
On Saint's site today Goddard has been set back With another foot injury, and awaiting on scans to determine the extent of it. Supposedly not related to last injury.

citywest

You can make stats say what you want. McCartin IMHO will be an average forward who should have been drafted in the 25 - 35 pick range. He will be with another club within 4 years.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:You can make stats say what you want. McCartin IMHO will be an average forward who should have been drafted in the 25 - 35 pick range. He will be with another club within 4 years.
Lucky your opinion means jack.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
citywest wrote:You can make stats say what you want. McCartin IMHO will be an average forward who should have been drafted in the 25 - 35 pick range. He will be with another club within 4 years.
Lucky your opinion means jack.
Leave our Jacks out of this.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Easy to make such a statement, why don't you present a solid argument to support your view?

Wombat15
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:
Haven't seen him much at Zebra's, only on TV.
Is he only suited to playing on the really big monster forwards?
You certainly wouldnt back him in a 1-1 footrace. But yes when the big boys like Dixon, 2 metre peter, lynch, jenkins etc come to town hes probably the bloke you'd back to put up a decent fight. Plays taller than the 196cm listed.