On track

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: On track

One question to be asked is what Clubs certain contributing to this forum actually support?

Given that the players we have Drafted post the Lyon/Watters period, so Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Mc Cartin, Goddard and Gresham are all parklands footballers at the very best and those we have actively sought being Carlisle and Freeman are duds of the first degree, and that is your assessment, why follow such a dysfunctional Club?

Mind you, the same supporters repeat that the likes of Geary, Minchington, Lonie, Longer are Club champions and the future

Simply those they promote are ordinary and represent why too much is being expected week in and week out from those First Round Draft Picks of the last 4 seasons - and that and the fact that we lack on field leadership presence has resulted in the performances we have seen across the past 3 weeks when the 2016 Grand Final sides and the 2017 ladder leaders on their home turf have given us lessons

I have confidence we have the nucleus of a side which will compete and particularly given the 2 First Round Draft picks we have and the room we have or will have in our Salary Cap

With those Drafted players some have AFL ready bodies but most do not, coming from Under 18 competitions

There is a view that those with AFL ready bodies dominate under age competitions and may not further develop as some still to grow into their bodies may

This is what recruiters are paid to assess - and incorporating the Club's particular needs along with future Draft strengths

So which Clubs do you contributors support?

And, yes, I tend to dismiss those who have finished at St Kilda because they have been unable to consolidate at other Clubs - if they become class contributors that is an absolute bonus

So that is not a source of rebuild

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide Games St Kilda
8 Less than 50 7
6 50 to 99 7

So 14 a piece with under 100 games.

Melbourne had 14 this weekend.
Carlton and Dogs had 15.
Collingwood, GC & Lions had 16.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: Sun 11 Jun 2017 10:43am
To the top wrote:The fact is that we still have holes that can be exploited by opposition sides in a very even competition.

The positive is that we can look to Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Acres, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Gilbert (and I include him because he has another couple of seasons in him and his versatility), Armitage, Bruce and Mc Cartin as the core to take us forward.

So, that is 12.

We would have hopes for Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Freeman, Goddard, White and Mc Kenzie.

So that is another 7.

We have 2 First Round Draft Picks, plus any we can target given our Salary Cap space.

We look to build an elite 25 - then your support players from there.

There is, of course, the logistics giving structure and that will drive who we target

The fact that we have just too many ordinary players in the 22 we are putting on the field currently is putting undue pressure on those who do have a future - hence the results.
With all due respect, this post is delusional at worst. Glass half-full at best.
To the top wrote: The positive is that we can look to Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Acres, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Gilbert (and I include him because he has another couple of seasons in him and his versatility), Armitage, Bruce and Mc Cartin as the core to take us forward.
Hickey: can't get a game.
Carlisle: Agree. He's a gun but is crucified by a limp and non-competitive midfield.
Steven: Agree. Being tagged now and struggling with it. But with some help will be a fantastic B+ player going forward.
Ross: Solid B grader.
Acres: Jury is still out. Wishful thinking at this stage that he'll be any good to be honest.
Billings: Very, very wishful thinking.
Newnes: C grader
Roberton: B grader
Gilbert: B grader. C on a bad day.
Armo: B grader
Bruce: B grader
McCartin: Agree.

And this is the issue isn't it? Our 'core' are a bunch of battlers. That core can't be a top 4 team. No hope in Hades.

To the top wrote:We would have hopes for Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Freeman, Goddard, White and Mc Kenzie.
Dunstan is done. Unless he suddenly gets fast and learns how to find the ball - I reckon he's done. Unfortunately. I mean seriously, our midfield is rubbish - and he can't get a game in it.
Gresham: Agree.
Steele: Agree.
Freeman: Agree - but clearly wishful thinking at this stage.
Goddard: Agree. But see above.
McKenzie: Nope.
White: Who?

So you've basically listed about 4-5 guys who are decent, and the rest are either average or below average. Some haven't even played!

I think you're clutching big time.

Interesting take....