On track

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

On track

Of course like ALL saints fans we are disappointed with 3 loses in a row.

But let's look at these 3 games - last years grand finalists and this years top 2 team at their interstate fortress where there average winning margin is much greater than what they beat us by. The only surprise on this years form is the loss to the Swans who we all know are worse this year only because they started he year with an injured list and a bunch of youngsters. On the flip
Side we demolished GWS and every season tosses up surprises both ways.

Pre season I thought with our FIXture we were looking at 10-12 wins. I think we are on track for that.

Not until next season do I see us winning 12-15 even without landing a big fish or 2. In fact I am leaning towards keeping our 2 top 10 picks unless we fm get Kelly with a pick and player / players.

Anyway I don't think the sky is falling after the last month.

But our style of play needs to improve to win 5-7 more for the season.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: On track

Our game plan is not up to it, nor our players at the moment. But pre-season any of the last three we would've suggested we'd be delighted to win or even be competitive in. We are where we are - a fringe team, not quite ready for finals. There's a whole bunch of teams around our level - collingwood, gold coast, north, essendon, melbourne, freo. The Swans will also pass us during the year. Most of those are currently in better form. We need to beat them, and get the odd upset against the better teams. After the gws win most on here went way overboard with their expectations, so they're likewise now going overboard with their disappointment.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"On track" (?) yes, to the number one draft pick :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:"On track" (?) yes, to the number one draft pick :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey bro, I don't suspect the sky is now partly cloudy do I?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BFUSA - sounds like utter rubbish what you're saying.

So what we played some top sides.

We've lost EVERY QUARTER in our last 3 drubbings.

Looking at just wins/losses is too simplistic.

It's the way we've played and HOW we lost.

Rudderless ship rubbish it is.

No need for apologists at this stage

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I said it in another post, but it bears repeating.
Robbo gets so much of the ball, because-
WE PLAY AN EXTRA down back.
So he can run around and get easier kicks. All-Australian?
Hardly. His efficiency was about 50%, so half of them were bloody wasted.
I saw him fumble and turn it over under no actual pressure, but just inferred pressure where he thought he would get hit.

The coaches think he's some sort of hybrid of Rance and Josh Gibson.
He's not, and the sooner they remove their heads from their chocolate starfish and smell the roses, the better.
One extra down back means one less past the middle.
Stop doing that and make him accountable.
I thought we got NJB and Jake to stiffen the defence, why then do we need to flood the backline?

Watch Jarrad Waite and Crusty the Clown on Friday night. They'll get 12 goals between them.
I hate Robbo more than I hate Gilbo

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I believe that most understood that this season was always going to be harder than last year as our draw was harder, and many clubs in the competition were on the improve.

So to me I measure how we are going on how we are playing, not whether we win.

Our last 4 games have been poor.

The last quarter against GWS we looked like Champs, but ever since have looked like Chumps.

Too many of our team looked to have lost all confidence. Way too many fumbles, way too may panicky uses of the ball, lack of run to create options to go to, which just makes the first two issues worse. Structure seems absent and players seem confused on what to do.

These problem is also on display at Sandi.

So at present unfortunately the squad is in disarray.

Richo needs to find the on switch. He needs to re-engage the playing group as they seem somewhat lost at present and lacking energy in how they play.

The playing group is adrift at present.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 11 Jun 2017 12:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Basically, we're just not that good. Anyone who thought we're be top 6 this year was obviously seduced by a few good showings last season...and only a few. We lack class, we lack speed, and we lack good ball users. I expected us to finish between 10th and 13th this year. We will be leap-frogged some other teams, and we are in danger of heading into a Richmond styled twilight zone, from which it may take a while to emerge from, unless we secure some serious talent in the next two seasons. Getting one marquee player will not fix it. It will require three or four players of real class for us to be a real contender.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So we are on track for 10th?

suss
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:Of course like ALL saints fans we are disappointed with 3 loses in a row.

But let's look at these 3 games - last years grand finalists and this years top 2 team at their interstate fortress where there average winning margin is much greater than what they beat us by. The only surprise on this years form is the loss to the Swans who we all know are worse this year only because they started he year with an injured list and a bunch of youngsters. On the flip
Side we demolished GWS and every season tosses up surprises both ways.

Pre season I thought with our FIXture we were looking at 10-12 wins. I think we are on track for that.

Not until next season do I see us winning 12-15 even without landing a big fish or 2. In fact I am leaning towards keeping our 2 top 10 picks unless we fm get Kelly with a pick and player / players.

Anyway I don't think the sky is falling after the last month.

But our style of play needs to improve to win 5-7 more for the season.
Amen.

Hopefully the people that run this club think the same way: no massive over reactions after wins and losses and level headed thinking according to a long term game plan.

I'm actually really pumped to see how we play out the year and looking forward to a huge trading / drafting period. We're on the cusp of great things.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Basically, we're just not that good. Anyone who thought we're be top 6 this year was obviously seduced by a few good showings last season...and only a few. We lack class, we lack speed, and we lack good ball users. I expected us to finish between 10th and 13th this year. We will be leap-frogged some other teams, and we are in danger of heading into a Richmond styled twilight zone, from which it may take a while to emerge from, unless we secure some serious talent in the next two seasons. Getting one marquee player will not fix it. It will require three or four players of real class for us to be a real contender.
The only good news is we have the Hawks pick so that is really pure luck in a way. If they had finished 6th or 7th it wouldnt have helped us much. But a pick 2 or 3 really might help us break out of the Richmond valley of death.
I agree we need 2-3 good players though. One wont be enough to make much impact on our ladder position.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

On track
We may not win another game .
Friday night is massive .
If we show nothing against a bottom 8 side then i think we will be lucky to win more than 8 games for the season

In red white and black from 73
To the top
SS Life Member

The fact is that we still have holes that can be exploited by opposition sides in a very even competition.

The positive is that we can look to Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Acres, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Gilbert (and I include him because he has another couple of seasons in him and his versatility), Armitage, Bruce and Mc Cartin as the core to take us forward.

So, that is 12.

We would have hopes for Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Freeman, Goddard, White and Mc Kenzie.

So that is another 7.

We have 2 First Round Draft Picks, plus any we can target given our Salary Cap space.

We look to build an elite 25 - then your support players from there.

There is, of course, the logistics giving structure and that will drive who we target

The fact that we have just too many ordinary players in the 22 we are putting on the field currently is putting undue pressure on those who do have a future - hence the results.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:"On track" (?) yes, to the number one draft pick :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jiggster, I regard you as one of the more realistic, as well as optimistic posters on here. Gotta say, things are looking pretty grim if you're making these types of gags.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we finish below Essendon that will be humiliating.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If we finish below Essendon that will be humiliating.
have a look at the ladder.
I watched some of their demolition of the Power.
The joy of seeing a miserable Kochie was spoiled by the fact that it was the bombers
doing the molesting.

Bombers move the ball quick, slick and accurate.
The exact opposite of the Teletubbies in Red White and Black.

One of their big forwards got 5 or 6, might have been Hooker, not sure. Daniher moves a bit like Buddy, so he should tear us a new one,
nothing NJB or Jake will be able to counter.

Their whole team is drilled like the US Marines, and our guys (at the moment)
are behaving like that episode of Red Dwarf where a fumbling inept android army was slaughtered.

Expect a 15 goal capitulation by the silly sausages from Seaford when we come across the Injectors.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
The joy of seeing a miserable Kochie was spoiled by the fact that it was the bombers
doing the molesting.

One of their big forwards got 5 or 6, might have been Hooker, not sure. Daniher moves a bit like Buddy, so he should tear us a new one,

are behaving like that episode of Red Dwarf where a fumbling inept android army was slaughtered.

Expect a 15 goal capitulation by the silly sausages from Seaford when we come across the Injectors.

They look OK the injectors. Their new captain shows good leadership and to get a bloke like Tipping-Woody playing like a gun is a massive bonus. At Seaford he would've just gone wakabout and left footy altogether

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
doing the molesting.

Essendon's run from half back is brutal at the moment.

Seriously, how on earth the AFL allowed them to get the no. 1 pick just perplexes me.

But he is a gun. And that Irish bloke does what he wants.

My tip: Teams now will tighten up on McGrath and the Irish guy, and Essendon will instantly fall away.

Up until now, teams have backed their own plan to beat Essendon's. Now, they'll realise they need to stop Essendon first. Very similar to what they're all now doing to us.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The fact is that we still have holes that can be exploited by opposition sides in a very even competition.

The positive is that we can look to Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Acres, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Gilbert (and I include him because he has another couple of seasons in him and his versatility), Armitage, Bruce and Mc Cartin as the core to take us forward.

So, that is 12.

We would have hopes for Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Freeman, Goddard, White and Mc Kenzie.

So that is another 7.

We have 2 First Round Draft Picks, plus any we can target given our Salary Cap space.

There is, of course, the logistics giving structure and that will drive who we target

The fact that we have just too many ordinary players in the 22 we are putting on the field currently is putting undue pressure on those who do have a future - hence the results.
With all due respect, this post is delusional at worst. Glass half-full at best.
To the top wrote: The positive is that we can look to Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Acres, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Gilbert (and I include him because he has another couple of seasons in him and his versatility), Armitage, Bruce and Mc Cartin as the core to take us forward.
Hickey: can't get a game.
Carlisle: Agree. He's a gun but is crucified by a limp and non-competitive midfield.
Steven: Agree. Being tagged now and struggling with it. But with some help will be a fantastic B+ player going forward.
Ross: Solid B grader.
Acres: Jury is still out. Wishful thinking at this stage that he'll be any good to be honest.
Billings: Very, very wishful thinking.
Newnes: C grader
Roberton: B grader
Gilbert: B grader. C on a bad day.
Armo: B grader
Bruce: B grader
McCartin: Agree.

And this is the issue isn't it? Our 'core' are a bunch of battlers. That core can't be a top 4 team. No hope in Hades.

To the top wrote:We would have hopes for Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Freeman, Goddard, White and Mc Kenzie.
Dunstan is done. Unless he suddenly gets fast and learns how to find the ball - I reckon he's done. Unfortunately. I mean seriously, our midfield is rubbish - and he can't get a game in it.
Gresham: Agree.
Steele: Agree.
Freeman: Agree - but clearly wishful thinking at this stage.
Goddard: Agree. But see above.
McKenzie: Nope.
White: Who?

So you've basically listed about 4-5 guys who are decent, and the rest are either average or below average. Some haven't even played!

I think you're clutching big time.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johhny, I don't mind your posts, but while ToT is best case scenario, you're being worst case so your post is still an extreme view.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think most people can see the improvement and potential of Acres & Billings.

yipper
SS Life Member

my two bobs worth:
We ARE actually on track - I never expected finals coming into this season, 2018 was the target year for finals and I believe this will still be the case. After we beat GWS i did certainly believe we were tracking for finals this year. We are horribly out of form at present, our midfield is being scrutinised and is being tested at present. I think Longer is a tough, solid ruckman - but has no skills at actually playing footy. Hickey is going to give us more around the ground. When Webster went down injured - it really affected our structure and then we started playing with our form I believe - dropping Bruce was wrong.

Our confidence has taken a real hit as a consequence - this is the coaches and leaders fault.

Can we turn things around - for sure, but they must confront some honest truths - we lack a bit of zip through the midfield, need another Defender and one really good midfielder. this probably will get addressed over the summer months - Kelly looks likely to come to us - huge get - best player in the comp in my view - if he plays for us from next season - wow. Goddard could be the other defender? or maybe we will recruit one - May? Freeman is tracking well and could be a new recruit with explosive pace next season.
McCartin will be great - calls to trade him are just mind-bogglingly stupid!! He is a big power forward - still young and still growing. They don't grow on trees - this guy WILL be at full forward in our next premiership. And he will be a bona-fide star. He Bruce and Membrey and probably Battle will be a potent forward line - once we sort our midfield out. Get the mids right - and the forwards will get good opportunities. Imagine Kelly passing to Paddy on the lead - paddy will get it lace out on his chest.

Is our coaching team up to it - yes, I believe they are. Richo has coached brilliantly and poorly at times. He still learning about his team, I think he just needs to pick his teams on form and with the right balance. It will happen for him - he is terrific development coach - players love him and play for him.
The club as a whole is being brilliantly run - Finnis / Summers are running a well oiled machine at present - returning to Moorabbin will be massive. As in 1965 - it will lead to a flag sooner rather than later.

We are struggling at the moment - but overall heading in the right direction with sensible people in charge and a good, talented young list still building. Yep, we still need to top it up - but we knew that, our form has at times been exciting and is now not so much. But when we get it right - wow, we are good. In time - we will be a very hard team to beat and we will have players capable of ripping their opponents a new one!! It will be a fantastic time to support this club - but it is even more important to support it now.

Cheers - go sainters.
Yipper.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
To the top wrote:The fact is that we still have holes that can be exploited by opposition sides in a very even competition.

So, that is 12.

So that is another 7.

With all due respect, this post is delusional at worst. Glass half-full at best.
To the top wrote: The positive is that we can look to Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Acres, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Gilbert (and I include him because he has another couple of seasons in him and his versatility), Armitage, Bruce and Mc Cartin as the core to take us forward.
Hickey: can't get a game.
Carlisle: Agree. He's a gun but is crucified by a limp and non-competitive midfield.
Steven: Agree. Being tagged now and struggling with it. But with some help will be a fantastic B+ player going forward.
Ross: Solid B grader.
Acres: Jury is still out. Wishful thinking at this stage that he'll be any good to be honest.
Billings: Very, very wishful thinking.
Newnes: C grader
Roberton: B grader
Gilbert: B grader. C on a bad day.
Armo: B grader
Bruce: B grader
McCartin: Agree.

And this is the issue isn't it? Our 'core' are a bunch of battlers. That core can't be a top 4 team. No hope in Hades.

To the top wrote:We would have hopes for Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Freeman, Goddard, White and Mc Kenzie.
Dunstan is done. Unless he suddenly gets fast and learns how to find the ball - I reckon he's done. Unfortunately. I mean seriously, our midfield is rubbish - and he can't get a game in it.
Gresham: Agree.
Steele: Agree.
Freeman: Agree - but clearly wishful thinking at this stage.
Goddard: Agree. But see above.
McKenzie: Nope.
White: Who?

So you've basically listed about 4-5 guys who are decent, and the rest are either average or below average. Some haven't even played!

I think you're clutching big time.

I don't have copyright on "wishful thinking"
but it feels warm and fuzzy to be validated
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I had Essendon as 8th in my pre season with 12 wins. Huge talent pool.
Very good coach. I had us 10th with 11 wins.

But I had Swans first so it shows I know nothing!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I had to watch essendon last night.
With a heap of essendon supporters.

And it wasnt awful.
They looked good. Its painful how good they looked.

we were going to the saints v bombers game - the first footy match for the whole family.
Im planning to ensure the family come down with gastro or something that weekend. We are not going.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.