Last time we actually won a qtr

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Last time we actually won a qtr

Our fourth quarter against Carlton in round 8.

Since then, not only have we been thumped in the following three rounds, but we haven't won a single quarter.

Very worrying.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Last time we actually won a qtr

It's time for some serious re-assessment of our tactical strategy, before taking on the fast breakaway North, next week. The Coach needs to lead the change.

Brown, Carlisle and Wellar could be doubtful. Joey limping last night also. Unfortunately, not much quality in the two's that will make much of a difference.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hard to wins quarters with one goal.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Champagne was popping on here when we beat Carlton.
Despite the fact they are 17th with a % of 78.9 we were assured they were very well coached and very hard to play against. Beating them was a huge triumph worthy of a side well and truly in contention.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote:Champagne was popping on here when we beat Carlton.
Despite the fact they are 17th with a % of 78.9 we were assured they were very well coached and very hard to play against. Beating them was a huge triumph worthy of a side well and truly in contention.
Your moaning, griping and general demeanor are really starting to give me the s***s. If you don't like the club then follow someone else, if you don't want to do that then stop using this place as an outlet to piss and moan non-stop because your footy team isn't giving you the vicarious emotional highs to which you are so obviously entitled.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've been pretty supportive of the coach and team, but the last 3 games have been absolute KRUD as far as performance is concerned. Genuine gripes can be permitted in my humble opinion.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I've been pretty supportive of the coach and team, but the last 3 games have been absolute KRUD as far as performance is concerned. Genuine gripes can be permitted in my humble opinion.
Come now Jiggster you were quick to flame anyone who may have actually pointed out done giant cracks.... surely not off the blue sky brigade just yet??

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

True Believer wrote:
Your moaning, griping and general demeanor are really starting to give me the s***s. If you don't like the club then follow someone else, if you don't want to do that then stop using this place as an outlet to piss and moan non-stop because your footy team isn't giving you the vicarious emotional highs to which you are so obviously entitled.....
are you typing this from your dungeon, while being shackled to a bed of nails, wearing a gimp mask.
Are you a masochist?

Con is sick of the tripe being dished up. Tony said "Carlscum are a very talented team, Bolton is brilliant, the win shows we're on the perfect upward arc"
He's urinating on us but tells us it's just warm rain

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

My memory is that most people were pretty disappointed with that performance despite the win.

You're doing a BM and painting the opinions of a few across everyone.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WellardSaint wrote:
True Believer wrote:
are you typing this from your dungeon, while being shackled to a bed of nails, wearing a gimp mask.
Are you a masochist?

Con is sick of the tripe being dished up. Tony said "Carlscum are a very talented team, Bolton is brilliant, the win shows we're on the perfect upward arc"
He's urinating on us but tells us it's just warm rain
Bollocks, who gives a flying f*** what Tony said ??? A few weeks ago we were sixth on the ladder and had just beaten GWS and according to most on here a flag was all but ours. A few weeks later apparently we can't play at all, and we need to start from scratch by sacking everyone. The emotional stability is overwhelming...........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Onya Dragit... can't resist?!

I could easily say 'doing a Dragit and having a sook'

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Onya Dragit... can't resist?!

I could easily say 'doing a Dragit and having a sook'
LoL u2

shrodes
SS Life Member

Carlton also just beat the top team, just like we did. Probably not too badly coached?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Carlton also just beat the top team, just like we did. Probably not too badly coached?
They are 16th on the ladder still. Just shows that GWS are capable of the an off day once in a while.

Carlton's youth may well be better than our youth though which is a real worry.

If you are taking comfort from Carlton's performance you are deluding yourself. We are still 12th. Thats where we are at. We are a bog average side.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:
shrodes wrote:
They are 16th on the ladder still. Just shows that GWS are capable of the an off day once in a while.

If you are taking comfort from Carlton's performance you are deluding yourself. We are still 12th. Thats where we are at. We are a bog average side.
I would give a bit of credit to Kreuzer.
He seems to have gotten a few disposals, and he looks like a valuable ruckman that really helps his mids.
Kind of like what Hickey did last year.
The loss of the 3rd man rule stuffed Hickey, then he got injured,
but both he and Longer are no real value after a ruck contest.
They can't do what other rucks do, like dropping back into defence for a saving mark,
and they are forced to handball because a kick will have them falling over like an unbalanced giraffe.

So they are sadly a liability, and their presence in the team is like we have 17 on the ground.
Which is bad when usually the oppo has 3 extra men wearing green as well.
If you think I'm being dramatic, in the last 5 years we're losing the free kick count mostly.
Usually we're 15 behind. 15 kicks is the output of an average player.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
shrodes wrote:

We're only one game in front of them

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
shrodes wrote:

We're only one game in front of them
Exactly.
The Blues have 6 teenagers getting regular games.
We have only 1 guy under 21 getting a regular game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's a great point Con. We should be on the cusp of finals but it's clear that we need to put more time into youngsters. I think we've moved beyond being a developing side, but if we are playing Joey and Roo is that holding back guys from getting game time and moving to the next level? The way we are going this year, I can't see us pushing deep into September and I don't think Roo and Joey have much more to offer in 2018.

I know Roo and Joey were crucial in 2014/2015 as we retired guys like Blake, Milne, and Kozi. Last year we also had Chips and also Shinner until earlier this year. So right now, in 2017 with a new captain and leaders like Armo, Gilbo and developing leaders in Steven, Ross and others there is plenty of experience and leadership without the 2 elder statesmen.

The responsibility of moving the team forward needs to keep moving away from the older players. I hate it when journos write up a story on St Kilda and the focus is on Roo and his value to the team. I hate it when forum members start threads about how important Roo is to us winning. Get it through your heads that those days are gone. I suppose Saintpremiers will say; "No Rooy no StKilda" and point to current losses, but spare me

I can't wait for the day when our young guys play well and when they get interviewed straight after the siren, no-one mentions Nick Riewoldt. Not because he's not a great footballer and a legend of the game, but because the team is about more than just 1 or 2 stars playing well to achieve the ultimate. These days they don't get asked questions about their game or the work they've done to improve themselves, they get asked questions about how priveleged they feel and how awesome it is to play with Nick Riewoldt.

The topic of Riewoldt's dominance and influence in this team is probably in the wrong thread and it should probably have it's own, but this needs to be discussed.

Once again, I cannot thank Rooy enough or put a dollar value on the benefits that Roo has provided our team and his work ethic and his brilliance. The marketing teams within St Kilda and the benfits Roo provides the club off field because of his status have been phenominal, but as a player right now, should he be part of St Kilda's planning moving forward?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I hope the decision to give Roo a contract last year does not delay our rise up the ladder. Player development takes a back seat when you have a star like Roo at your club. Same thing happened at North with Boomer. I thought the decision to play him this year was mainly based on the sponsorship and membership dollars. The reason I say that, is that Roo being a KPP most of his playing career and his history with his knees, was only going to get worse. He wasn't a small, outside runner in the mould of a Boomer

In terms of marketing and the money side of things, the club has definitely benefited, but at what cost when we could have had a few more games shared amongst the likes of Paddy, early in the year ( plus the kid would have had less pressure and more confidence if we showed faith in him) and other players who might have been given valuable experience apart from Paddy