Next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Next week

We play again next week - again on a Friday night and against a side which has a coach who demands a very physical presence

So they will be in our faces up front

And we will need to respond - and somehow we need to find what we showed against GWS

We are missing Riewoldt (upon who we should not be relying), Hickey (and will he be played this weekend?) who should both be included and Armitage who will continue to be very badly missed

Past those 2 automatic inclusions we would look for the likes of White and Freeman to continue to perform at VFL level with a view to promotion

The way McKenzie responds will be of interest

Spots are up for grabs - and the reality of our lack of performance over the past three weeks (after getting to 5 wins and 3 losses , remember) is that we need to assess our List and give warranted opportunity to those who demand it

This does not include those with a history of failure to consolidate at AFL level over this and preceeding seasons

We have our answer on them - and some in the 22 this evening

We must refocus on the building of a side which will challenge by consistently playing in September

That is not negotiable so those with working class credentials should also be reviewed in context of their ability to impact on a game of footy in September when you can not have a weak link

The first step is the side we pick next week and how those players acquit themselves in terms of displaying their potential

On the captain, I thought he set the example tonight when he dropped a mark, lost his feet (and you really read the riot actwhen defenders lose their feet in a contest - or used to!) then scragged gifting Adelaide the first goal

It was all downhill from there

So the review starts from the top

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Next week

If we can get our s*** together we could win 4 out of the next 5.

IN: Roo, Hickey, NOK and Minch

OUT: Joey, Longer, Gresham and Wright

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintbob wrote:If we can get our s*** together we could win 4 out of the next 5.

Gresh is due for a spell. He's still a teenager, and others have been "managed" so why not him? he's been ineffective.
Only tackle I saw, was when another Sainter stopped a Crow and Jade jumped in as well. Poor effort tonight.

Joey never to play again. He might have got 20, but really, what else does he do? He can't hold his feet, he can't put any pressure on at all

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

saintbob wrote:If we can get our s*** together we could win 4 out of the next 5.

Roo is automatic, Hickey if he gets through the game in reasonable touch. The other two need to be in the top 3 at Sandringham this week.
Minchington problem is that he comes in, performs well in his first game, then disappears badly for the next couple.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Wombat15
Club Player

I really hope the selection committee grows some kahunas and makes some statement style drops. bring in Hickey, Roo, NOK, Rice, White, Mack. Give Joey, Acres. Gresh, Longer, Sinclair and Maybe Mav (mav for goal kicking reasons, can't be in the side if you're not contributing goals). Send the kids a statement that you are picked on performance. Start working out who's going to be on the list for next year! Not saying the seasons over but you can't keep running the same crap each week that hasn't performed properly since the GWS game.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Feel we need leggy players, and players playing in their natural spot:

DMac - he's a winger
Billings - more forward and outside
Acres - centre
Weller - centre/tagger

Still need more marking targets so bring in Hickey, Marshall.

Lonie probably deserves another crack as genuine crumbing forward for Gresham.

In terms of runners; DMac, White, Long, Savage, Freeman

Not sure Nick OK is ready yet and is a bit heavy legged and worry about penetration on his kick.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Acres and Billings were passengers last night - big time!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Thu 15 Jun 2017 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
To the top
SS Life Member

I think it is more about putting together a good block of footy at VFL level.

I just have a view that First Round selections are First Round selections for a reason, and Second Round selections are Second Round selections for a reason - and if you can get a player out of anything lower than that - aka Sam Fisher - then that is an absolute bonus.

So, basically, we are looking for First and Second Round Draft selections putting together a good block of footy at VFL level, then trusting that our Football Department got it right originally when assessing their abilities.

Then you can add those where the Club has deliberately acted to recruit from other Clubs (acknowledging that Brown is a specific case given Goddard's injury concerns, so not recruited to contribute to the future).

And we need some leg speed pace.

Hence Wright being included - so the problem was known.

Gresham, whilst quick on his feet, is not quick.

You obviously learn more from losses than from wins - so it is what we learn.

And my view is that you do not go back once again to guys who have been up and down multiple times over years.

That is simply running on the spot.

If the ultimate assessment is that we have (say, for the purpose of the exercise) 10 players you assess as absolutely required on Grand Final Day, then that is your start point - and you build from there.

The goal, always and even in these testing times, is to build a Premiership side.

The eye should never be taken off that goal.

Those winning Votes in media awards and being awarded Brownlow Medal votes is the start point for me in the build.

So players who can and do feature in the 3 best on ground in any week.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce G McAbee wrote:

Roo is automatic, Hickey if he gets through the game in reasonable touch. The other two need to be in the top 3 at Sandringham this week.
Minchington problem is that he comes in, performs well in his first game, then disappears badly for the next couple.
I think this would be the fourth time Minch gets a recall this season. I really can't see Minch making it at AFL level.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Our run home includes:

West Coast (H)
North
Bombers
Tigers (H)
Suns (H)
Dockers (H)
Demons

All winnable. So to be clear we have plenty of opportunities and a very decent draw. If we cant make the 8 I dont want to hear any excuses.
If we cant make it then we dont deserve to be there.

To the top
SS Life Member

Agree that is a very even season - and results show that if you are a little bit off in players or game strategy you will get hammered

By anyone bringing their A game and strategy

But, making the 8 is only an end, not the end

As I have said we need to build and then maintain a side that consistently plays in September report to give ourselves the best chance of ultimate success

If you are not there you do not take the prize you seek

The hope is that, given where he was Drafted, Freeman would become central to the side we want to put on the park at the end of September and that is getting closer

So fingers crossed there is another potential Premiership player we are able to put on the park

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we lose next week:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Spots aren't really up for grabs...we all know Richo will send much the same team out next week to get it right, with the inclusion of Roo. There were signs process was being followed in the final quarter, so the message began to get through after 3 quarters. :roll: I agree Gresh looks like he needs a rest though.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

insanity is doing the same thing over and over again,
hoping for a different result.
Maybe Finnis needs to tell Richo he is "finnished" and send AR to a university to be a sports lecturer.

Those who can, do. Those who can't- teach.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:" next week"? A bottle of red, and a couple of DVDs.
I'll be flying in 10 minutes before the start of game, so have the empty glass and a spot on the sofa for me Jiggster. Hope there is a comedy or two amongst those DVD's, we certainly need them :( :(

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

If we do give Freeman a chance, don't expect miracles, the guy has hardly played at AFL level and it's one thing to get nearly 30 touches in the VFL than it is at AFL level. Also, did he just rack up possessions, or was he effective with them.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:If we do give Freeman a chance, don't expect miracles, the guy has hardly played at AFL level and it's one thing to get nearly 30 touches in the VFL than it is at AFL level. Also, did he just rack up possessions, or was he effective with them.
+1.

Meatball can get 27+ in the VFL, then comes up, gets 17 or so, next game 10-11, then gets dropped.

Dunstan gets nearly 30 with Zebs, Dad calls him back to AFL, he gets maybe 17, moving about as fast as a drunk tortoise
and then goes back to playing in front of 3 men and a dog in the VFL

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Acres and Billings were passengers last night - big time!
Acres was poor but Billings was okay…

25 touches, 13 contested @84%, 6 i50's

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am start to think Meatball and Lonie may not be that bad. My problem with Lonie is he is too easily brushed aside with his tackles. He can only do surprise tackles from behind.

But with our horrendous game plan -Lonie and Minch are almost always out numbered in our fwd line. So they are set up to fail in that role. Coach making it impossible for them to succeed.

Wombat15
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am start to think Meatball and Lonie may not be that bad. My problem with Lonie is he is too easily brushed aside with his tackles. He can only do surprise tackles from behind.

But with our horrendous game plan -Lonie and Minch are almost always out numbered in our fwd line. So they are set up to fail in that role. Coach making it impossible for them to succeed.
the one thing that really pisses me off with Richo. he did the same with Mackenzie, Paddy (trying to play him up the ground), Long pigeon holed in the forward line and bench, Currently Jack Steele who shouldnt be tagging. There have been other cases but he doesn't put youngsters in a favourable position to succeed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I am start to think Meatball and Lonie may not be that bad. My problem with Lonie is he is too easily brushed aside with his tackles. He can only do surprise tackles from behind.

the one thing that really pisses me off with Richo. he did the same with Mackenzie, Paddy (trying to play him up the ground), Long pigeon holed in the forward line and bench, Currently Jack Steele who shouldnt be tagging. There have been other cases but he doesn't put youngsters in a favourable position to succeed.
Same for Longie. Left him stuck in a fwd line where the opposition had more numbers the entire time. Set up to fail.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:Acres and Billings were passengers last night - big time!
Acres was poor but Billings was okay…

25 touches, 13 contested @84%, 6 i50's
Good you posted this. Agree with Billings - thought he was in the Saints best 3.

Also had 3 marks, 2 tackles, 2 stoppage clearances & a great goal

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Just want some of our fringe players given some more leniency and I want to back them in if they're young in footy terms and haven't played 50 games. If Richo wants us to maintain our edge in contested footy we need to keep playing Minchy imo. Maybe drop Membrey or Gresh.

Backline has not been performing. I saw too many contests where it looked like we played soft, bruise free footy. Both Carlisle and especially Brown in poor form. Brown's injury might be a blessing. Get Gilbo to fill down back, probably can hold Mason Wood. If Joey is not dropped, then he needs to get back to his riole as a winger.

older saint
SS Life Member

time for changes 3 losses in a row with 3 poor performances:
In: Roo,Hickey, Rice, Long
Out: Longer, Montagna, Gresham, Wright

Emergencies: Freeman, NOK * upgrade on Armitage), Wright