Its time to call it Richardson cant coach!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Its time to call it Richardson cant coach!

Con Gorozidis wrote:I certainly am not calling for his sacking. He is contracted for another season after this which is fine.
But he needs to make changes. If that means to assistant coaches or the playing group or the game plan or getting external assistance or advice then he needs to do it.
Nothing irks me more than being stubborn and sticking to a losing strategy just for ego reasons.
It is ok to admit you are wrong.
Malthouse as director of coaching? :twisted: :twisted:

Worked well for Buckley!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We have a director of coaching

Sexton

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Richo is alright. The last 3 weeks just showed us where we're really at. A middle rung side that still needs a lot of work. Thought he called it for what it was... Far too many passengers that weren't willing to work hard for one another.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I refuse to read the garbage posted in this thread. Full stop.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:I refuse to read the garbage posted in this thread. Full stop.
How do you know it's garbage if you didn't read it?
Gut feel?

St Daz

Johnny Member wrote:I've always said that coaches have two jobs - to devise a strategy that is capable of winning the flag, and to get the players to carry that plan out.

Simple.

That's how I judge a coach, and how I think they should be judged. Win/loss is overrated. Big losses, and big wins can also be overrated.

Of course they need the cattle to carry out their plan - and that's where the grey area of coaching is. But after a certain amount of time at the helm, a coach needs to adapt his plan to his cattle. Otherwise the whole exercise is futile.

So this is why I question Richardson's ability as coach now.

Either he can't get the players to do what he wants them to do - or what he's asking them to do isn't working.

One way or the other - he's failing as coach. Both are his job and his responsibility.

Granted, I don't think we have the cattle on our list. I've said this many times before. So he needs some slack in that regard. And that's why he needs to adjust the strategy right now to suit what he's got - or change what he's got as best he can. He can't keep playing the same guys, under the same strategy, and expect things to improve.

It's just not working.

If it's the players' buy in that's the problem - then he's got a big problem and needs to fix it. But I don't think it is.

If it's his strategy, then he needs to change it. Now.

If it's the cattle, he needs to change it. Now.

The club can't, nor shouldn't sack him. That sort of talk is short sighted and reactionary. Naive too.

But he needs to change things. Immediately.

He needs to alter his strategy for what we've got. And that appears to be a list that has a sub-par athletic ability. And a list that is low skilled.

He also needs to play different guys. They might not be ready, and they might not be 'strong' and 'solid' as he clearly loves - but what he clearly loves, is clearly not working.
Well said. Some really good points in here. Personally, I really like Richo, and do not think sacking him is the answer. However something needs to change. The game plan does not marry up with what players are capable of, which is why the turnovers are so endemic.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I certainly am not calling for his sacking. He is contracted for another season after this which is fine.
But he needs to make changes. If that means to assistant coaches or the playing group or the game plan or getting external assistance or advice then he needs to do it.
Nothing irks me more than being stubborn and sticking to a losing strategy just for ego reasons or in an​ attempt to maintain your 'authority'.
It is ok to admit you are wrong.
Yes I don't think there would be anything to be gained by sacking him at all, but we don't seem to be applying a game plan that matches our list profile at the moment.

How about instead of playing on from every mark and handballing to players in a worse position for the sake of it, we try to develop some composure and slow things down. Overall our skills are below average, so the manic game plan just exacerbates this further.

Two of our best players were going at around 50 & 60% efficiency last night in Roberton & Steven. 35 kicks between them and half didn't go to a team mate.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think our kicking efficiency stat tells us what we need to know about the game plan.
We have too many around the ball so we are kicking to 3 on 2 situations where we are almost always outnumbered. That is why the kicking efficiency stat is so poor for the players kicking form midfield and half back. It also explains our high handball stat. We handball in circles because we don't want to kick to the opposition players waiting ahead.
We need more quality in and around to stoppages so we can have less players around the ball. We need better players rather than more players there. More numbers at stoppages is fine for trying to win a stoppage but the cost further afield is damaging.
Realistically we need both Kelly and Rockliff to fix this but that is highly unlikely as a quick fix.
We probably need to use our top ten picks on two quality mids.
Look at last night. So we had Sloane covered. So what.
That just meant that Rory Laird and Matt Crouch were completely off the leash and allowed to run riot.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 10 Jun 2017 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:That first half tonight was possibly his worst moment as coach thus far.

We were loading up behind the ball and then playing on when getting possession with no one to pass to. It was utterly infuriating and listless coaching. Just what in the Dickens was Richo trying to get them to do?

And i hear him overuse the word "positive" in his post-match address to Saints members, I'll be sending him a letter to start working on his PR skills.
The first half of the match, particurarily the 1st quarter our structure was disfunctional. The coach needs to accept responsibility for that. After quarter time we stopped "loading up behind the ball" and established a more cohesive structure. And from that point in the match we were quite competative.

Watching the game, I was screaming at the TV and abusive toward our coach (as well as the umpires) for going into the game with a structure, particurarily a forward structure that was clearly innefective.

After he made the change and the team were more cohesive, we wre clearly a better team. I'm happy to support Richardson, and I'll even tolerate trying new things, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. An intelligent person will learn from these mistake and not repeat them, but a fool will not learn. Lets hope Richardson has learnt that 'loading up behind the ball', then playing on quickly and giving it back to the opposition is a flawed strategy.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Last night I couldnt see a future for Richo, but we cant keep flicking coaches. 

So PLEASE Richo reach out to your contacts in the industry outside the club and get help. Your game plan sucks, your players are confused and the opposition have worked out how to slice through your press. GET HELP so you can improve and survive.

Get Paul ROOS in as a consultant to oversee an upgrade.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It'd be nice to see him crack the s***s or get fired up once in a while too.

Some urgency in the body language.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Interesting listening to David King and I think Solomon this morning on SEN.

They reckon we just lack class. A couple of classy players that can steady the ship when things not going great. Was quite good listening really.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Interesting listening to David King and I think Solomon this morning on SEN.

They reckon we just lack class. A couple of classy players that can steady the ship when things not going great. Was quite good listening really.
I don't agree.

It certainly would help! But having Fyfe, Martin AND Kelly all bombing it to the hot spot every time they go forward is still going to be easy to coach against.

That's my concern.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

mullet wrote:Interesting listening to David King and I think Solomon this morning on SEN.

You know I have to agree with that, when I look at Sinclair's composure with the ball and we had him multiplied by three we would show a much more cohesive unit.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

I don't agree.

It certainly would help! But having Fyfe, Martin AND Kelly all bombing it to the hot spot every time they go forward is still going to be easy to coach against.

That's my concern.
Yeah Maybe. It was an interesting discussion though. They said that Hawthorns game plan was really dangerous, however they had the class, to make it not so dangerous. They have now lost the class . I was expecting an absolute caning from them , so It made me feel a little better. I am no coach.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

I don't agree.

That's my concern.
If we had Fyfe, Martin and Kelly we could then afford to have 15 blokes spreading, leading to receive in attacking positions and holding to defend in defensive positions. We could have numbers all over the park safe in the knowledge we would win most clearances and contests around the ball - even if we are outnumbered around the ball wed still probably win it.

Alas we dont even have one of these guys let alone three.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 10 Jun 2017 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

At the moment, I think we're poorly coached. Originally I thought he was a good development coach, without being very good or great on game day. But given how players like Bruce, Membrey, Dunstan, Lonnie and even Hickey have gone a bit backwards, I think the juries still out on development.

Alas, I do agree with the forum sentiment that our history proves we've gained little from sacking coaches, so he should be allowed to see out his contract and I think the club sees it the same way.

From here and up until the end of next season, Richo will be under enormous pressure to prove he's the man to take this team forward. I don't get the impression he's content with just being a development or transition coach, but he'll have to radically redefine his football philosophy to prove otherwise.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I don't agree.

That's my concern.
Yeah Maybe. It was an interesting discussion though. They said that Hawthorns game plan was really dangerous, however they had the class, to make it not so dangerous. They have now lost the class . I was expecting an absolute caning from them , so It made me feel a little better. I am no coach.
Yes it's a fine line between being 17-5 & 5-17 like hawthorn are looking at, a few class players difference and they go from top 4 to bottom 4.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
mullet wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I don't agree.

That's my concern.
Yes it's a fine line between being 17-5 & 5-17 like hawthorn are looking at, a few class players difference and they go from top 4 to bottom 4.
True.

But I think history showed that their strategy was sound.

Granted it is also being proven now that that same strategy requires really good players to execute it effectively - but we do know that it worked.

There's just no evidence that ours actually does.

David-Lee
Club Player

Get rid of Richo
Last edited by David-Lee on Thu 13 Jul 2017 12:40am, edited 4 times in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Being a big supporter of Richo, but, if he is reasonable for the tactics in the first qtr, times up!!!!#

Bite the Bullet and get Banger back!!!!!
Harvs not a senior coaches arse big mistake doing that cause he's favourite son

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

David-Lee wrote:I feel cheated. The club has made so many promises and so many slogans about success. I was gutted when we got Richardson he was never going to be the leader we need.
Then we pick a guy to be the new Reiwoldt that looked like a old school forward who stands in the square eating a sanger waiting for perfect delivery and then and only then can he have a 50/50 chance of kicking a goal.

We trade our first round pick for a guy we KNOW is likely to be sanctioned. Then he turns out to be the slowest defender who cant jump over a jam tin and incapable of stopping the big forwards in almost every game he plays.

Membrey and Bruce cost us very little and worth the effort but they only have one good year then they are easily brushed aside by defenders but these budget picks ARE hitting the packs and taking marks and kicking goals - they are amazing value but still lack.

We lost the chance in the last 3 drafts to get players who have been champions even grand final winners.

Something has to give. People say we cant get rid of Richo or WHAT? We end up with 9 wins? Guess what? We are going to end up with 9 or 10 wins anyway!!

We do not measure up against the top 8. Yes we beat GWS that was amazeballs. But that is a rare day when the gods align. We can not do it repeatedly.

I do not have the answers but the strategy stinks. The players bar a few are performing average (statistically we are very average). I think we have no real super stars but in this age of fotty we dont need them. Just have a team that puts in the effort of Seb Ross every week and we will be in the finals every season.

Get a new coach and here's my call:

Scotty Burns. He is the man. When he gets a chance he will excel. Not willing to try a new guy? What about a legend like Paul Roos? He would bring a brilliant strategic mind. If we could prise Rob Harding from Bombers thar would be a great day! I would even have Brad Scott and he is very gettable right now. He is much more strategic. He has squeezed a decent run out of a pretty average playing group. Of tge newbies I also like Stephen King and Brett Kirk ( I have real good vibes about him).

Our planning as a club is locked into a cycle of poor picks.
Is Leigh Tudor still an assistant somewhere? I think he would be worth a shot if they don't renew Richo's contract.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
David-Lee
Club Player

I agree Tudor isn't a bad pick I think of the yet to be guys Harding has the best record as a winning strategist.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

David-Lee wrote:I feel cheated. The club has made so many promises and so many slogans about success. I was gutted when we got Richardson he was never going to be the leader we need.
Then we pick a guy to be the new Reiwoldt that looked like a old school forward who stands in the square eating a sanger waiting for perfect delivery and then and only then can he have a 50/50 chance of kicking a goal.

We trade our first round pick for a guy we KNOW is likely to be sanctioned. Then he turns out to be the slowest defender who cant jump over a jam tin and incapable of stopping the big forwards in almost every game he plays.

Membrey and Bruce cost us very little and worth the effort but they only have one good year then they are easily brushed aside by defenders but these budget picks ARE hitting the packs and taking marks and kicking goals - they are amazing value but still lack.

We lost the chance in the last 3 drafts to get players who have been champions even grand final winners.

Something has to give. People say we cant get rid of Richo or WHAT? We end up with 9 wins? Guess what? We are going to end up with 9 or 10 wins anyway!!

We do not measure up against the top 8. Yes we beat GWS that was amazeballs. But that is a rare day when the gods align. We can not do it repeatedly.

I do not have the answers but the strategy stinks. The players bar a few are performing average (statistically we are very average). I think we have no real super stars but in this age of footy we dont need them. Just have a team that puts in the effort of Seb Ross every week and we will be in the finals every season.

Get a new coach and here's my call:

Scotty Burns. He is the man. When he gets a chance he will excel. Not willing to try a new guy? What about a legend like Paul Roos? He would bring a brilliant strategic mind. If we could prise Rob Harding from Bombers thar would be a great day! I would even have Brad Scott and he is very gettable right now. He is much more strategic. He has squeezed a decent run out of a pretty average playing group. Of tge newbies I also like Stephen King and Brett Kirk ( I have real good vibes about him).

Our planning as a club is locked into a cycle of poor picks.

I agree with all of your points, David-Lee Roth, except for the highlighted one.
You know, I wish they all could be California Girls...
Carlisle was a calculated gamble,
the club thought Dempster might last another year,
and Goddard could learn alongside Sean.
They rolled the dice on that, and we lost a year, lost Goddard, left a massive hole in defence.
However, Jake is very talented and was the best available backman at the time, and he can certainly mark and kick,
he and Brown have been serviceable.

One huge issue (elephant in the room) is having one extra down back so Robbo can rack up possies.
This is crazy. We let Robbo get big numbers, but he's the moron who causes turnovers- he loses footing too easily,
kicks out after a point and it comes back as a goal
He's like the council worker who walks past your window every 15 minutes with a wheelbarrow, and you think "well, he's working hard"
but poke your head around the corner, and there's 6 guys busting a ring digging and sweating
while Robbo sits n plays with his phone,
waiting for the wheelbarrow to be filled.

Incredibly deceptive. His numbers are artificially inflated by the others doing ALL of the hard work.
Jimmy Webster's absence made it harder to do the Plus One as Dmack and Savage weren't up to speed.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
David-Lee
Club Player

Dont get me started on Robbo - he WAS a waste of a trade- I hear what you are saying about Carlisle being the best available but have you calculated his defending this year? Who has he shut down? I see him effectively as a forward in defense. He runs to a "lead" and takes a few marks nothing spectacular. He is smart and knows the position. But he seems to lack the ability we had in Dempster or a Fischer or Blake. He has decent speed to stay with opposition. He is not a chump but worth our precious puck? I support all our players and hope they all improve dramatically!