This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:17pm

Seriously, at what point does Richardson have a think and go 'you know what, that s*** may have worked 10 years ago, but it just isn't going to win us games of footy'?


We improved that quarter, and wasted 4 entries by putting it up to heavy contests in the 'hot spot'.

And guess what?


Well you know how we all know that that's what we do every time we go forward? Well the opposition does too! Who'd have thunk it right?

So they simply gather in the hot spot (which is no longer hot by this point) spoil it and waltz it out of their D50 and create their own scoring opportunities.

It'd basically handing them the pill on a silver platter.


I get it, as a 'get out' when you're under pressure going forward. But when you have the slightest bit of time to use the pill, for the love of God why do we continue with this amateurish nonsense?



We averaged 93.5 Points For after the GWS win.

Including tonight's first half debacle, since that game we average 48.6 Points For!


We revealed our hand that night. And have had no way to adapt to the opposition working us out.


Pressure Roberton and our 'running defenders', flood the 'hot spot'. And we're done.
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Milne » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:34pm

We need to adapt our plans during the game.
Milne
Club Player
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 5:15pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Con Gorozidis » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:35pm

Our handball to kick ratio is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH

Atrocious.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21662
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby St Daz » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:45pm

Con Gorozidis wrote:Our handball to kick ratio is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH

Atrocious.

Agree 100%. Poor as piss tactically. To make it worse, they can't even stick them. It's horrific.
St Daz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2016 9:18pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby saintspremiers » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:48pm

It's a joke.

3 goals 10

They shyte themselves kicking for goal.

Norf will touch us up again next week. We are easybeats now.
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22998
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:51pm

Con Gorozidis wrote:Our handball to kick ratio is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH

Atrocious.


What I simply cannot comprehend, is why we handball 6 times when we're under pressure in attack when we actually should be kicking it to the hot spot! But when we actually get free and have time to spot someone up, we then decide to kick to the hot spot!!??


The strategy of kicking it to a contest in the hot spot should only ever be a Plan B. When you're under pressure, and don't have to think or do anything else - that's when you do it. Not the other way around!
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:51pm

Con Gorozidis wrote:Our handball to kick ratio is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH

Atrocious.


But to be fair, almost every time we win the ball at half back, our entire team is parked in our D50. So when we get it, there's nothing to go to up the ground.
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Joe Bloggs » Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:53pm

Johnny Member wrote:Seriously, at what point does Richardson have a think and go 'you know what, that s*** may have worked 10 years ago, but it just isn't going to win us games of footy'?


We improved that quarter, and wasted 4 entries by putting it up to heavy contests in the 'hot spot'.

And guess what?


Well you know how we all know that that's what we do every time we go forward? Well the opposition does too! Who'd have thunk it right?

So they simply gather in the hot spot (which is no longer hot by this point) spoil it and waltz it out of their D50 and create their own scoring opportunities.

It'd basically handing them the pill on a silver platter.


I get it, as a 'get out' when you're under pressure going forward. But when you have the slightest bit of time to use the pill, for the love of God why do we continue with this amateurish nonsense?



We averaged 93.5 Points For after the GWS win.

Including tonight's first half debacle, since that game we average 48.6 Points For!


We revealed our hand that night. And have had no way to adapt to the opposition working us out.


Pressure Roberton and our 'running defenders', flood the 'hot spot'. And we're done.


Spot on dude.
Joe Bloggs
Club Player
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat 13 Dec 2014 3:06pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Scollop » Sat 10 Jun 2017 12:25am

I'm not quite sure if it's just the coaches fault

Who has been the major culprit? Who have you seen do this more than anyone else over the last few years?

Who did it countless times toningt and during matches this year and who do you see bombing the footy countless times throughout matches - no matter where he is on the ground?

He's one of the longest serving playing on the list. He's a leader and if it's ok for him...why shouldn't it be ok for everyone else!!?

Yes. You guessed it. Leigh Montagna
Con Gorozidis wrote:If I have to explain how that works then dont reply because you are too dense to converse with.
Scollop
SS Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 2:26pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Con Gorozidis » Sat 10 Jun 2017 12:45am

Johnny Member wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Our handball to kick ratio is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH

Atrocious.


What I simply cannot comprehend, is why we handball 6 times when we're under pressure in attack when we actually should be kicking it to the hot spot! But when we actually get free and have time to spot someone up, we then decide to kick to the hot spot!!??


The strategy of kicking it to a contest in the hot spot should only ever be a Plan B. When you're under pressure, and don't have to think or do anything else - that's when you do it. Not the other way around!


Yep.
It really has me baffled.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21662
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Con Gorozidis » Sat 10 Jun 2017 12:46am

Johnny Member wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Our handball to kick ratio is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH

Atrocious.


But to be fair, almost every time we win the ball at half back, our entire team is parked in our D50. So when we get it, there's nothing to go to up the ground.


Agree.Our running patterns, zones and structures are all way off.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21662
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby saintbob » Sat 10 Jun 2017 12:56am

GT had the same game plan and it didn't work then and it is sure as hell isn't working now.
saintbob
Club Player
 
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed 21 May 2008 8:51pm
Location: Tassie

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Bruce G McAbee » Sat 10 Jun 2017 8:47am

Our handball ratio is too high because we get the ball at half back and there's no St.Kilda player in front of us to kick it to. Other sides just leave defenders back and just pick off our kicks forward with little or no opposition.
In all honesty, we are playing soccer tactics.
Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2015 7:09pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby carn_sainter » Sat 10 Jun 2017 10:08am

Good OP. The most worrying thing is that we have not put forward an alternative even though it's been 4, 5 or 6 weeks since it was blatantly obvious that the way we play does not create avenues to goal.

If bombing it to the hot spot was our only plan, and it worked, you'd live with it. But it's not working. And everyone can see it. There would be scores of posters on this forum, myself included, who have pointed it out. Every opposition knows it. So why aren't we changing it?

Johnny pointed it out after GWS. Here's what I wrote after Sydney smashed us:

carn_sainter wrote:It's not that we lost, or even by how much, but why.

We were totally impotent forward of the ball.
Almost every kick inside 50 was either a bomb it n hope, or missed a target.
Beaten structurally, around the ground and around the ball.
Smashed on the spread.

Very worrying. We got away with it against the blues, but that was the blues.

Against good teams, we're easy to defend.

We defend really well, midfield pressure and contest is pretty good, but our forwards and how we move it to them are easy to defend. Worrying.


And we could go back after every game since and see the writing on the wall. Bigger and more clear after every failure.

There is a lot not working at the moment and no one fix will be the fix. But we need to stop flogging this dead horse, I agree.
User avatar
carn_sainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 4:49pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Munga » Sat 10 Jun 2017 11:54am

So many times we have open players 35-45m out straight in front of goal, we never look inside. But we bomb, outnumbered, blocked, spoiled.
If we go forward with Paddy, we need to clear out the forward line because on the lead is the only way he can get it, and we need the skills to deliver it to him on the chest.
Or he needs to engage the defender and push off... too short and always spoiled from above.
In other words, go to the "Fraser Gehrig" school, and Plugger before him... except both of them would win just about every contested mark.
And then he needs to go to a happy place when kicking for goal, really mental.
Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
User avatar
Munga
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:00am

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby ROLS-LEE » Sat 10 Jun 2017 12:02pm

As a player that can mark, why don't he kick it to Carlisle while coming out of defence.
Not having a ruckmen that can mark or do anything really we should be using Carlisle strengths
ROLS-LEE
Club Player
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue 25 Sep 2007 3:45am

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby dragit » Sun 11 Jun 2017 11:26am

Scollop wrote:I'm not quite sure if it's just the coaches fault

Who has been the major culprit? Who have you seen do this more than anyone else over the last few years?

Who did it countless times toningt and during matches this year and who do you see bombing the footy countless times throughout matches - no matter where he is on the ground?

He's one of the longest serving playing on the list. He's a leader and if it's ok for him...why shouldn't it be ok for everyone else!!?

Yes. You guessed it. Leigh Montagna

He had 3 inside 50's as he was playing as a goal keeper? Still one of our best at actually finding a target.

Billings & Newnes had 6 each, but if they are instructed to kick to the hot spot then it's a coaching issue not the players fault.

Bruce & McCartin had one contested mark each on friday so this 'plan' is destroying our chances of winning, I'm pretty sure Richo's theory is that we score best from repeat entries, so he is banking on the opposition quickly clearing the ball from the hotspot and turning it over to us again for a shot on goal… this kamakazie chaos game plan is probably great for country footy but just doesn't cut it at AFL level, made worse when our forward line just isn't applying enough pressure, Minch is our best pressure player in the forward line, Wright seemed to be playing in the backline on friday and there just weren't enough tackles from the Gresham, Billings, Sinclair, Membrey etc.

Watching Essendon last night, their smalls have genuine pace and apply pressure… Gresham, Billings & Sinclair are all highly skilled, smart players… but their intensity just isn't there yet when we don't have the ball.
User avatar
dragit
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 11652
Joined: Tue 29 Jun 2010 11:56am

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Sun 11 Jun 2017 11:43am

Good Teams:
Plan A - find a target inside 50
Plan B - kick to the hot spot

Us:
Plan A - kick it to the hot spot
Plan B - see Plan A
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 16 Jun 2017 8:56pm

4 entries - 4 'long high kicks'.

3 turnovers.


MUST STOP!
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 16 Jun 2017 8:57pm

1 entry - 1 spot up at 45m

1 goal.



FFS.
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 16 Jun 2017 8:59pm

2 entries - 2 hit ups at 35-45m out.

2 goals.


FFS!!!
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Sat 17 Jun 2017 11:42am

Overall, I loved the entries forward last night.

Seemed to be a genuine, concerted effort not to bomb it to the hotspot (aside from the first 5 minutes when Newnes obviously didn't get the memo!) but instead hit up options around the perimeter.
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby meher baba » Sat 17 Jun 2017 12:07pm

saintbob wrote:GT had the same game plan and it didn't work then and it is sure as hell isn't working now.


Gehrig got 100 goals in 2004 and we easily scored the most goals of any team in the 2005 season. We haven't been anywhere near as productive in front of goal since then, so it can't have worked too badly.

It'd work ok now if we had McCartin playing there we strongly as we had hoped.

I didn't notice that much of it last night. It was more of the good old hit a target on an angle and then they kick a behind.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
User avatar
meher baba
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Mon 14 Aug 2006 6:49am
Location: Tasmania

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Johnny Member » Sat 17 Jun 2017 12:22pm

meher baba wrote:
saintbob wrote:GT had the same game plan and it didn't work then and it is sure as hell isn't working now.


Gehrig got 100 goals in 2004 and we easily scored the most goals of any team in the 2005 season. We haven't been anywhere near as productive in front of goal since then, so it can't have worked too badly.

It'd work ok now if we had McCartin playing there we strongly as we had hoped.

I didn't notice that much of it last night. It was more of the good old hit a target on an angle and then they kick a behind.


Strongly disagree.


You've hit the nail on the head though - in 2004 it worked. Not in 2017.

They actually spoke about it on the commentary on Thursday night. They commented, almost word for word what I mentioned in this thread - that everyone knows the ball is going there. It's too predictable now though. Because it was such a dangerous spot to kick to back in 2004 - all clubs have built their defence around defending that spot, and creating their own scoring chances from that point. It's now no longer a hot spot.

It's ideal as a 'Plan B', but simply does not work as a Plan A.


As per my posts last night during the game - we went inside 50 and 'bombed it to the hot spot' the first 4 times. It resulted in 3 turnovers and a goal to North.

The next 2 were spot ups to options around the 35-45m mark which resulted in 2 goals.
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4023
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: This 'bomb it to the hot spot' nonsense must end now!

Postby Con Gorozidis » Sat 17 Jun 2017 12:24pm

Much higher kick to handball ratio last night.
We tried to move fwd to fwds who were at worst one on one.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21662
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Next

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Johnny Member, longtimesaint, mr six o'clock, remboy, saint3d, Waltzing St Kilda, White Winmar, Winmar, Wombat15 and 38 guests