Let's be realistic about free agents!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Let's be realistic about free agents!

I do not want to be negative. I want to be realistic...I look back at the period between 2004-2005 when the Saints had several A and B, or at least potential emerging A graders. These included Robert Harvey, Fraser Gehrig, Aaron Hamill, Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Austinn Jones, Justin Koschitske, Stephen Milne, Nick Dal Santo, Max Hudghton, Luke Ball, Xavier Clark, Matt Maguire, Brendon Goddard and Leigh Montagna. We couldn't quite get a premiership, even with those stars at the time (some were injured of course at crucial times). In my view our current list has nowhere near as much talent as the above group, although the list of 2017 probably has more structural depth. Even if we managed to snare both Josh Kelly and Steven May to complement our current list, it would be unlikely that these additions would add more value than many of the above. I truly hope that I am proven wrong!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's be realistic about free agents!

I don't think it's a good idea to be realistic, we currently have a team on top of the ladder that has had 19 top ten & 28 first round picks in the last 6 years… plus a handful of stars that they have added without trading.

Let's keep adding good players whenever we can.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's all about luck and good management.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

leighsaintsince66 wrote:I do not want to be negative. I want to be realistic...I look back at the period between 2004-2005 when the Saints had several A and B, or at least potential emerging A graders. These included Robert Harvey, Fraser Gehrig, Aaron Hamill, Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Austinn Jones, Justin Koschitske, Stephen Milne, Nick Dal Santo, Max Hudghton, Luke Ball, Xavier Clark, Matt Maguire, Brendon Goddard and Leigh Montagna. We couldn't quite get a premiership, even with those stars at the time (some were injured of course at crucial times). In my view our current list has nowhere near as much talent as the above group, although the list of 2017 probably has more structural depth. Even if we managed to snare both Josh Kelly and Steven May to complement our current list, it would be unlikely that these additions would add more value than many of the above. I truly hope that I am proven wrong!

What has your post content got to do with your post's topic title? Kelly and May are not FA's. Also why not post what you did in the Kelly and May thread as it seems to be on them and not on Free Agents?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

these guys may end up being A-Grade...
Carlisle, Gresh, Blake, Steele,
Freezer, Billings, Webster...

Stuv is already there. Seb is knocking on the flamin door and will be.

Paddy- way too early to call, Skunk- in a parallel universe, but NO never A Grade

We need a nice big forward next year to fill in for lack of output of Josh "Titanic" Bruce (set sail with big fanfare, sunk without trace)
and to give Paddy time to develop.

We also need maybe 2 elite mids as well.

just my 2 dinaro

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re the OP: people forget that Joey wasn't a regular first-team player in 2004-05 and BJ and Maguire were still developing, as was Chips.

We undoubtedly had a great team in 2004 and were incredibly unlucky not to make the GF. Would we have beaten the Lions? We'll never know.

Injuries stuffed us in 2005. The umps got us in 2009 and the bounce of the ball for Milne did for us again in 2010.

I have a fair bit of faith in our current lineup. We just need to get the forward line right. And snare one or two top class recruits from other clubs (midfield or forward line). Then we'll be serious contenders.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stonecold
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:Re the OP: people forget that Joey wasn't a regular first-team player in 2004-05 and BJ and Maguire were still developing, as was Chips.

We undoubtedly had a great team in 2004 and were incredibly unlucky not to make the GF. Would we have beaten the Lions? We'll never know.

Injuries stuffed us in 2005. The umps got us in 2009 and the bounce of the ball for Milne did for us again in 2010.

I have a fair bit of faith in our current lineup. We just need to get the forward line right. And snare one or two top class recruits from other clubs (midfield or forward line). Then we'll be serious contenders.
Stop with the common sense please, no place for that here!!!!! :wink:

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯