Changes v Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Changes v Crows

Well tripleT, yes we lost(twice), point taken, but Longer also was one of only two Saints to receive The Coaches votes in one of those games, the other bloke is skipper, so in my humble opinion, im happy to go with the Coach and players on this one!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

For all of the Hickey fans on here.

Longer had a good game last up. I dont think Hickey did that well at the weekend.

stonecold
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:For all of the Hickey fans on here.

Longer had a good game last up. I dont think Hickey did that well at the weekend.
I think it is a but of both, Hickey fans and Longer haters!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He needs at least another game in the VFL for touch. But there will come a time that Longer needs to be (managed)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think one of the reasons we've struggled in the big games, especially, is the absence of Hickey in the sort of form he was last year. He had a magnificent year, was in discussions for AA and was virtually an extra midfielder. We've gone a long way backwards in this area, even if Billy gets a lot of hit outs. He got 18 possessions last week, which is a huge improvement, but I think Hickey is a lot more dangerous with ball in hand and kicked the odd goal as well. Interesting few weeks coming up.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I think one of the reasons we've struggled in the big games, especially, is the absence of Hickey in the sort of form he was last year. He had a magnificent year, was in discussions for AA and was virtually an extra midfielder. We've gone a long way backwards in this area, even if Billy gets a lot of hit outs. He got 18 possessions last week, which is a huge improvement, but I think Hickey is a lot more dangerous with ball in hand and kicked the odd goal as well. Interesting few weeks coming up.
we spent alot of time playing Hickey up forward, which allowed him to build other parts of his game, making him a better all round player, no one is doubting that

But Hickey is atrocious in the ruck. Did you know he averages the most free kicks against in the entire league? He gives them away all the time in ruck contests, and he rarely wins the Hitouts. I think Longer is undoubtedly better as a ruck, and that's the role we need, especially against guys like sauce Jacobs and Mumford.

Would like to see Hickey againat guys like Kruezer and Grundy, who are more athletic and do more around the ground, as I think he would do better nullifying them

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
freely
SS Hall of Fame

freely wrote:In: Bruce, Webster and Kamikaze Wright for mine
Out: Savage, Minch and DMac
You heard it here first :)

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

freely wrote:
Tell us whether we make finals as well pls

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Proph3t of egan wrote:
freely wrote:
Tell us whether we make finals as well pls
We're getting a bit more run back into the team, which is positive. But barring a late change, we're still playing One Man Short.

Despite that, yes, we will make the finals. Stay on the bandwagon. Keep the faith! Oh, and back to JO. JO is the go! :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I see this game as a real test of Richo's Coaching.

Our gameplan, match -ups AND/OR player motivation has been very poor the last two games and a lot of that gets back to coaching. The excuse of the players know what to do, but are not doing it, cannot be rolled out week after week.

So win, lose or draw I want to see a well drilled and committed St Kilda Team against the Crows this week.

I do not want to see:
- bombs into forward line either direct at defenders or to contest where we are out numbered
- slow switching where it just allows the opposition to push up crowding out space and options
- no defender out the back so that on turnovers we leak goals way too easily. Come on Richo make sure we always have a goalkeeper (you need this most games, but moreso against the Crows).
- short handballs by out ruck and mids to team mates that have opponents on them with no where to go
- a high handball to kick ratio
- a lack of players running in waves and supporting each other
- players not seeking space QUUICKLY to provide options to kick or handball too

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Glad to see Webster back, presumably in place of Savage. Wright for Minchington is standing still. I don't see either in my long-term top 22. Bruce for DMac is a surprising move structurally. Is one of Bruce and Membrey going to play further back than usual, as a target for the ball coming out of the backline? Perhaps it's worth a try, we'll see.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

I think it is a but of both, Hickey fans and Longer haters!!!!!
Or Hickey traders

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I see this game as a real test of Richo's Coaching.

Our gameplan, match -ups AND/OR player motivation has been very poor the last two games and a lot of that gets back to coaching. The excuse of the players know what to do, but are not doing it, cannot be rolled out week after week.

So win, lose or draw I want to see a well drilled and committed St Kilda Team against the Crows this week.

I do not want to see:
- bombs into forward line either direct at defenders or to contest where we are out numbered
- slow switching where it just allows the opposition to push up crowding out space and options
- no defender out the back so that on turnovers we leak goals way too easily. Come on Richo make sure we always have a goalkeeper (you need this most games, but moreso against the Crows).
- short handballs by out ruck and mids to team mates that have opponents on them with no where to go
- a high handball to kick ratio
- a lack of players running in waves and supporting each other
- players not seeking space QUUICKLY to provide options to kick or handball too
Yep, the friday night spotlight will be for all to see if we dish up what we have the past three weeks. The club needs to bounce back,doesn't have to be a win,but something that remotely resembles a side that plays to a sensible plan

Bring back the Lockett era
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Glad to see Webster back, presumably in place of Savage. Wright for Minchington is standing still. I don't see either in my long-term top 22. Bruce for DMac is a surprising move structurally. Is one of Bruce and Membrey going to play further back than usual, as a target for the ball coming out of the backline? Perhaps it's worth a try, we'll see.
I think that Savage was more on the wing where he was playing. It is a bit hard to be precise as players often tend to rove around a bit and swap positions.

So I see it as more:

Webster for DMak- will play attaching HB
Wright for Minch - will play small forward
And Bruce for Savage......in that I think you will find that Membrey, Bruce and Paddy will all at times be pushing up to be the marking link person midfield/wing. (Ie the role that Roo has often played). Alternatively they may revert to Billings being more wing, behind the ball again in which case Membrey, Bruce and Paddy would not push up as much.

So then against North will have to see when they bring Roo back whether they drop one of Bruce/Paddy/Membrey or whether they drop a small from Weller/Wright/Gresham (Billings in good form and so would not be him).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt has to play upfield when he returns so we can continue to develop a forward line that will take us forward.

I like two key forwards (Paddy and Bruce), a medium (Membrey), then Billings, Gresham and either Weller,
Minch or Wright.

That gives us good structure and plenty of goal-kicking nous.

I like the changes. Bruce, imo, should never have been dropped despite not hitting the scoreboard as often as we'd like.

He's vital for structure and leadership and you can count on him to get to and create a contest all match long.

Webster has been sorely missed. IMO he's on his way to being a very, very good defender, possibly elite.

My prediction for tonight? It depends whether we turn up. We could get flogged, but if we start well and shut up their moronic fans we might at least give them a run for their money.

The umpires, as always, will be a factor and no doubt we will see plenty of hometown decisions.