Saints drop out of race for Fyfe - Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints drop out of race for Fyfe - Herald Sun

We really shouldn't be ruling ANY good players out who might be available at this stage... if we miss out on Kelly then we need to keep our options wide open.

jays
Club Player

oh well go hard for kelly ImageImage
ImageImage

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:We really shouldn't be ruling ANY good players out who might be available at this stage... if we miss out on Kelly then we need to keep our options wide open.

I think the operative words here are at this stage.

For a genuine Big Fish you will be talking about a big$$$ long term contract. Such a deal while it might need to be contracted at season ends because those are the rules, I cannot imagine that for any genuine target that by about now that a serious offer would not have been tabled and agreed to, to the extent that the rules allow.

For both the player leaving, and the club acquiring it would just make no sense to leave so much in the air till post-season.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jaxons
Club Player

Kelly is a star and will likely cost us both our first round picks.
He is the only one worth risking that for.
Personally I would be going to the draft with two Top 10 picks.
That's how you build a premiership list long term.
Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
These are the types we could be giving up.
And we have two chances to nail it, which going on our recent results we will need!

realdeal
Club Player

jaxons wrote:Kelly is a star and will likely cost us both our first round picks.
Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
And we have two chances to nail it, which going on our recent results we will need!
Isn't it ironic that we could've actually have drafted 3 of the players mentioned above.. (Judd, Dangerfield and Bontempelli) In fact, all 3 of these players were taken the pick directly after ours. :roll:

It is a tough one, in playing devils advocate though, yes, it might take 2 1st round picks to get him but at least 'we know'
Kelly is a gun. Having 2 1st round picks doesn't mean they'll be guns themselves. Besides, one of those 1st round picks was a gift from Hawthorn so it's kinda like we're only using one anyway :)

I guess the benefit of going for Fyfe, Martin etc is that we get to keep both of our 1st rd picks and get a gun player....

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Kelly is a star and will likely cost us both our first round picks.
Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
Personally i agree about going to the draft. The complication is though that we drafted Carslisle who I think turns 26 this year who's had multiple injury concerns already, giving up pick 5. We need to be hitting finals with him pretty damn soon. A high pick draftee could be a Bont-type superstar out of the box but more likely needs a few years to get up to speed.

Our engine room desperately needs class and power. Hopefully Acres, Steele, Gresham maybe even Sinclair or Billings will add that as they evolve. But the ability to pay a huge salary for a ready to go FA/trade super-star onballer was obviously tied into the Carlisle-trade as ready to go for 2017 or 18. So I'll think they'll go after Kelly with everything they've got including $$$ and picks. Martin looks unlikely so then perhaps Whitfield would the next target.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

realdeal wrote:
Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
I guess the benefit of going for Fyfe, Martin etc is that we get to keep both of our 1st rd picks and get a gun player....
I doubt it. Both Freo & Rich would've matched the contract & forced a trade. I'd prefer Kelly over Martin or Fyfe. Younger & already as good with improvement left in the bank. Two first rounders for Kelly is a bargain. He'll be the best player in the league this time next year. Only Dangerfield ahead of him atm, Martin arguably as well.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
Have heard that this year is a very shallow draft. Any truth to that? This year might be the best year to trade off those two to get Kelly.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
Yes they are, but just the fact that they were all taken at different draft pick numbers shows that who you get is still a lottery.

Yes we have 2 chances to nail it. BUT players likely Kelly are RARE, and so the odds of nailing someone as good as Kelly are slim.

We could get a Oliver, or we could get a Jarrod Pickett. Point is that we do not know. Point is too that the vaguries of the draft prder picking may mean that the best available pick at the positions we get to make it may not be that mid that we so desperately need.

We have now been rebuilding for many years, and to date have not gained one star through the draft through, let alone an out and out gun., or more so a top 10 player like a Kelly.

In the case of Kelly my belief is that a Bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

Two top 10 picks are nice, But make no mistake Kelly actually in a St Kilda jumper is huge. We KNOW what we will be getting and that is pure class in the position that we most need it.

jaxons wrote: And we have two chances to nail it, which going on our recent results we will need!
I am confused by this.

We took Paddy over Petracca
We took Billings over the Bont
Dunstan over Merrett
Lonie over Daniel

I think there is little evidence to back your sentiment that our recruiting team can spot the best draft talent, and indeed that player that will become a gun.

Yes Gresham looks to be a win, but on the main we have missed a lot more than we have nailed.

jaxons
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
Yes they are, but just the fact that they were all taken at different draft pick numbers shows that who you get is still a lottery.

Yes we have 2 chances to nail it. BUT players likely Kelly are RARE, and so the odds of nailing someone as good as Kelly are slim.

We could get a Oliver, or we could get a Jarrod Pickett. Point is that we do not know. Point is too that the vaguries of the draft prder picking may mean that the best available pick at the positions we get to make it may not be that mid that we so desperately need.

We have now been rebuilding for many years, and to date have not gained one star through the draft through, let alone an out and out gun., or more so a top 10 player like a Kelly.

In the case of Kelly my belief is that a Bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

Two top 10 picks are nice, But make no mistake Kelly actually in a St Kilda jumper is huge. We KNOW what we will be getting and that is pure class in the position that we most need it.

jaxons wrote: And we have two chances to nail it, which going on our recent results we will need!
I am confused by this.

We took Paddy over Petracca
We took Billings over the Bont
Dunstan over Merrett
Lonie over Daniel

I think there is little evidence to back your sentiment that our recruiting team can spot the best draft talent, and indeed that player that will become a gun.

Yes Gresham looks to be a win, but on the main we have missed a lot more than we have nailed.
Just to be clear I thought it was pretty obvious that I was not being complimentary of our recent drafting?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Amen brother

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we dip out on Kelly, I would consider Rocky as no draft picks are lost.

Then I would trade out several players to make our drafting position stronger..

Winmar
Club Player

Every time we've been linked with Fyfe I've thought of jaxons saying last year that we would not be signing him because he would be signing a new contract at Freo. He's from Perth; why would he want to move to Melbourne?

Re Kelly, either we get him with our two first round picks or we have two first round picks. We can't lose either way. I wouldn't be against the former option; at least he has proven he is going to be a star if he's not one already.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I've said all along I'd prefer Kelly, so glad we're no longer chasing Fyfe.

I wonder what Kelly will cost if he's a premiership player and a Brownlow medalist, both of which are highly possible.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Personally I would be going to the draft with two Top 10 picks.

Any good mids there?

I basically know nothing about who will be available...but if we are after pure gun mids I hope that Knightmare is not accurate: http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... nkings-may

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Franklin - Pick 5
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Judd - Pick 3
Kelly - Pick 2
Bontempelli - Pick 4
Add 2018 first rounder and just add Hopper? 3 picks for 2 quality players... never know, unlikely but never know

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
bigcarl wrote::D Stick Acres in the guts
Exactly, unleash the kid ...

Do you think they will ever do it though? We tend to stick with Steven, Ross, Dunstan, Steele at the centre bounces.

Personally I'd be putting Acres where the ball is. Right in the thick of things to compliment Steven and Ross.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:Every time we've been linked with Fyfe I've thought of jaxons saying last year that we would not be signing him because he would be signing a new contract at Freo. He's from Perth; why would he want to move to Melbourne?

Re Kelly, either we get him with our two first round picks or we have two first round picks. We can't lose either way. I wouldn't be against the former option; at least he has proven he is going to be a star if he's not one already.
If we get two top 5 picks - then that's too much for one player. Any player.

That'd be madness to swap them for one dude.

realdeal
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
Winmar wrote:Every time we've been linked with Fyfe I've thought of jaxons saying last year that we would not be signing him because he would be signing a new contract at Freo. He's from Perth; why would he want to move to Melbourne?

If we get two top 5 picks - then that's too much for one player. Any player.

That'd be madness to swap them for one dude.
Could do one top 5 pick this year and then back ourselves and offer 2018 1st rd pick...ala Hawthorn... :? . And still keep one top 5 pick.

older saint
SS Life Member

Whitfield may be the sleeper

footynut
Club Player

I think we should aim for kelly & whitfield with our first 2 pick plus 2018th second or a player

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

"Despite the constant negative press covfyfe." (Donald Trump "typo" finally deciphered/ divined). :D

"Cov "... must be Trump code for "saints drop out of the race for"

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Did the saints drop out? or did Fyfe take himself out?

saintbob
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
saintbob wrote:

Do you think they will ever do it though? We tend to stick with Steven, Ross, Dunstan, Steele at the centre bounces.

Personally I'd be putting Acres where the ball is. Right in the thick of things to compliment Steven and Ross.
For some reason Richo seems reluctant too, maybe he is still developing the tank required to play midfield all day.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
saintbob wrote:

For some reason Richo seems reluctant too, maybe he is still developing the tank required to play midfield all day.
Let's hope it is that rather than not considering him good enough. Sometimes you have to take the plunge to find out.