Saints drop out of race for Fyfe - Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Saints drop out of race for Fyfe - Herald Sun

saintbob wrote:I've said all along I'd prefer Kelly, so glad we're no longer chasing Fyfe.

I wonder what Kelly will cost if he's a premiership player and a Brownlow medalist, both of which are highly possible.
Interesting Kelly came out the same year as Boyd, Petracca same year as Paddy, Ball instead of Judd, Goddard thanks to the cheaters. We seem to pass on the pack busting players with strength and speed.

I never really understood how Bont was missed. He was in every ones video summaries being noticeably in the action nearly every time. Cripps was another cracker. Geraldton boy then East Perth. Was amazing inside at that stage in his youth and grew quickly so he became the type who could make an impact in many areas. Not sure how we missed him either.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

kalsaint wrote:
saintbob wrote:I've said all along I'd prefer Kelly, so glad we're no longer chasing Fyfe.

I wonder what Kelly will cost if he's a premiership player and a Brownlow medalist, both of which are highly possible.
Interesting Kelly came out the same year as Boyd, Petracca same year as Paddy, Ball instead of Judd, Goddard thanks to the cheaters. We seem to pass on the pack busting players with strength and speed.

I never really understood how Bont was missed. He was in every ones video summaries being noticeably in the action nearly every time. Cripps was another cracker. Geraldton boy then East Perth. Was amazing inside at that stage in his youth and grew quickly so he became the type who could make an impact in many areas. Not sure how we missed him either.
Don't let yourself start wondering "what if" when it comes to draft picks - every club in every draft has a "if we'd only taken X instead of y", it's a slippery slope....

Probably more concerning is the lack of development once these kids get to the Saints - most just seem to be stagnant in their improvement.

Dunstan's best season is still his first, Paddy hasn't really taken many steps forward, Billings has improved but is still just a classy flanker and nothing more, guys like Lonie, Wright, Minch etc just can't take that step up from good VFL players. Ross and Newnes are the exceptions, but are a little bit older now. Maybe we're just being impatient with the others I've named here??

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

No. I think you're onto something, St. Chris. So often, it's not the number in the draft you go, it's what the club does with you when you get there. The Swines, Geelong and the Hawks are all good examples of clubs that are terrific at developing players and improving the ones that they bring in. No coincidence they have dominated the finals and premiership wins of late.

Dunstan looked an absolute gun in his first year. Now playing at Sandy. McKenzie and White. Widely touted to take the next step last year. Yet to do so. McCartin. Showed plenty early and has seemed to go backwards. Lewis Pierce? Looked the goods last year, now playing Sandy development, Ffs! There's something rotten in the state of Denmark. We looked a million dollars late last year. We went 8-3 in the second half of the year, missing the finals by a bee's todger. I know we don't have the element of surprise anymore, but it feels like we've gone backwards. Apart from the GWS game, we've struggled to put away ordinary opposition and been blown away by the half decent teams. Things that make you go hmmmmm.........

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Don't let yourself start wondering "what if" when it comes to draft picks - every club in every draft has a "if we'd only taken X instead of y", it's a slippery slope....
We did! X Clarke.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:No. I think you're onto something, St. Chris. So often, it's not the number in the draft you go, it's what the club does with you when you get there. The Swines, Geelong and the Hawks are all good examples of clubs that are terrific at developing players and improving the ones that they bring in. No coincidence they have dominated the finals and premiership wins of late.

Dunstan looked an absolute gun in his first year. Now playing at Sandy. McKenzie and White. Widely touted to take the next step last year. Yet to do so. McCartin. Showed plenty early and has seemed to go backwards. Lewis Pierce? Looked the goods last year, now playing Sandy development, Ffs! There's something rotten in the state of Denmark. We looked a million dollars late last year. We went 8-3 in the second half of the year, missing the finals by a bee's todger. I know we don't have the element of surprise anymore, but it feels like we've gone backwards. Apart from the GWS game, we've struggled to put away ordinary opposition and been blown away by the half decent teams. Things that make you go hmmmmm.........
And fear. :D

See my recruit or recruiters thread (or maybe that should be recruit or coaches thread).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!