Now vs 2019. The Chicken and the Egg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Now vs 2019. The Chicken and the Egg

While we all, or at least most of us, want to get excited and play finals now, and if not tend to measure players on what they are now rather than what they could be in 2019-21 which is more where the rebuilding plan that we have been following for a while is targetted at.

Yes we would all be delighted if we could do a Doggies or a Hawks where they grabbed a flag before expected (or hoped for).

I was thinking on this today when I was mentally grizzling to myself about Longer getting 18 disposals, but being very poor with most of them. ie Hanballing it 5m backward to teammates who had an opponent near them hem, and with space crowded with no where to run too. But while some have been taking post-shots at Richo and Co being too focused on playing finals this year, the reality is that they are more concerned about our real window. Hence with Longer, it is what he might be in 2 years plus.

Ditto for Paddy. In two years time he will be much fitter., and he will be much better. He may or may not bea superstar, but you can see that he has the tools to be a at least a good key forward once he has built his tank and body strength more.

When we traded off pick 10 last draft, that was not to play finals in 2017. It was all about assisting in gaining some of that missing link elite midfield talent for 2019+

Ditto with Freeman. It is 2019+

Now don't take me the wrong way. I am sure that the coaches are seething about about our dismal ball use of the last two weeks.

And I must admit that some of this years gameplan in terms of the roost into the forward line mystifies me. I do understand that play on quick aspect in the midfield as good teams need to do this. But obviously better disposal is required and faster and more direct play too. So as with the Chicken and the Egg argument about which should come first, is it do you wait till you have all your players before you start playing with the gameplan that you want, or do you play the gameplan now and keep acquiring the players that you need. with the playing of that gameplan allowing you to better identify what you need.

The pieces are still being put together, and some pieces still need to be acquired. But the puzzle is becoming more complete, even if at times the pieces need to be moved around, and the wrong piece has been used.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 30 May 2017 1:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now vs 2019. The Chicken and the Egg

I hope you are right SS!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I hope you are right SS!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Entry into the forward 50 mystifying you saintsRrising. tony74 wrote the following on another thread:
tony74 wrote:Its not rocket science ( and I stress they did not follow the instructions )

Quick entry to the forward line if a player is on his own
Quick entry to the forward line when the numbers are even and we have one tall and one small at least
Slow entry to the forward line when its crowded, wait for space, change the angle.
Unfortunately we failed to pull the trigger, particularly on the second option, and panicked. We all saw the result.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Re: Entry into the forward 50 mystifying you saintsRrising. tony74 wrote the following on another thread:
tony74 wrote:Its not rocket science ( and I stress they did not follow the instructions )

Quick entry to the forward line when the numbers are even and we have one tall and one small at least
Slow entry to the forward line when its crowded, wait for space, change the angle.
Unfortunately we failed to pull the trigger, particularly on the second option, and panicked. We all saw the result.
Thanks. Though all I can say is that our players must get confused a lot as the main preference seems to be to kick it to a contest, and often to ones where we are outnumbered.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Re: Entry into the forward 50 mystifying you saintsRrising. tony74 wrote the following on another thread:

Thanks. Though all I can say is that our players must get confused a lot as the main preference seems to be to kick it to a contest, and often to ones where we are outnumbered.

I said it before. Looks to me that they played last Saturday like a suburban team where the first choice is not the player in the best position, but to where their mates were.

Time and time again players kicked over the head of players standing on their own to a contest further down the ground, where the ball was usually turned over.

Hope i'm wrong.