The Coach or the List?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: The Coach or the List?

Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Jack Newnes over rated, JM? Good grief. What games are you watching? One of our few reliable kicks and rebounders. He has missed only four games since the start of 2013, so obviously form and fitness are not concerns. Over his career of 101 games he has averaged 20 possessions a game, with his average close to 24 this year. That puts him fourth on the list for getting the pill. Not bad for a bloke who spends most of his time in defence. Seriously considered as captaincy material internally, with he and Ross next cabs off the rank. In the leadership group as well. Tell me why he's over rated and give me some evidence. I wait with bated breath.
His decision making is awful.

And his possessions dont hurt one bit.

He had 35 touches last week and didn't get a single coaches vote. That says something.

The fact that he's in our leadership group says more about us than it does about him.

I don't rate him.
Agree with you on these points.
He's an important player, but he is not as good as the coaches think.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Coach for me.

McCartin pick 1, Billings pick 3, Carlisle (something like pick 7 or 8 after the trade), Steven - elite, Ross - A-grade, Newnes - close to A-grade, Robbo A-grade, Gresham pick 18, Acres Pick 19, Dunny pick 18, Armo pick 10, Freeman pick 9, STeele something like pick 14 in reality after academy, Longer pick 8, Hickey pick 16 or something, Roo (champion multi-grand final), Joey (champion multi grand final), Gilbo (multi-grand final), Brown (multi-premiership), Goddard pick 21 or something

That is lot of talent (probably should have been more if we stayed down longer as was wise and probably the initial Pelchen plan before Richo pushed a "winning culture" program and took Scneids off the rookie list) and lots of experience. I don't think we play with a great system and that is the problem. We regularly fall in holes when players get tired and they don't know what to do. We can't keep the footy and exhaust ourselves.

Sam Mitchell shocked me on radio when he said "We tried too hard" :shock: What I realised he meant was you need to do your role in the system and let the clever system do the work. You try and do everything and you end up doing nothing. You want the carburetor to function as a carburetor or else the whole system collapses.

I'm putting the System on trial!
You got me back, Bluthy - been so pissed off after the last 2 weeks, I've been off celebrating The Donald's inspiring of total geopolitical chaos to allow V.V.Putin's vision of a multi-polar world to be a 6/4 favourite to come to fruition about 2 years before I tipped it would.

Recent discussions among the tribe have avoided all nonsense about draft picks and such, and concentrated on 1 thing - we won 8 out of our last 10 or 11 last year, played a game style that was clear and understood (leading to high level 'buy in' on ground), finished the year on a high (not a last 4 game high, a 1/2 season high), went to trade and draft time, added 2 accomplished key defenders (who've been good), 2 reasonable mids, 1 a salary cap refugee from the premiers, the other a high draft pick from a club with ultra high midfield draft picks, recovered a couple of big blokes from ordinary physical experiences the previous year, got clapped for the draft time performance, only lost a coupla blokes who were hanging on to help us and themselves out, have had the least injury disturbance of all 18 clubs (up until 2 weeks ago - don't know the figures since), and we've watched us perform at somewhere near our best ONCE IN 9 GAMES!!!! The rest has been tripe.

What is the game plan/style? We can't get out of the back half (we could late last year), the midfield never owns the corridor (we did late last year), the forwards run to the same spots (they separated late last year), out best mid is getting beaten up most weeks (he got off the chain late last year....and early), mids have little vision, their decision making is 4th rate, the disposal is garbage, we go back and across with no idea what comes next (and blokes don't run in preparation, anyway), the expressed strategy - 2 YEARS AGO - was we would allow Roo to avoid the physical battering that comes with being a key forward, and would allow him to float up and back - the list of 'Wha?'s' is almost endless.

Bugger being a brain dead non-thinker, what in the hell has happened?

I reckon I know.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

P.S. And we're already grasping at who we get next, as 'saviour' - f*** that - make the most of what we've got NOW. We look like a disorganised, disconnected and disheartened rabble.

I watched a side whose coach defined as overrated 3 weeks ago (and he was right) flog Adelaide tonight. Melbourne went to Adelaide what, a fortnight ago, way, way down on numbers, came from 4 down, and won in a canter. If we go to Adelaide next week and roll over we are in deep, deep trouble.

Then what do we do? I didn't expect us to do a Dogs Revisited - I did expect us to improve, and we've gone backwards. It's disappointing, it's weak, and it says to anyone with talent who might be interested in coming on board, why bother?

I hate all forms of mediocrity.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Jack Newnes over rated, JM? Good grief. What games are you watching? One of our few reliable kicks and rebounders. He has missed only four games since the start of 2013, so obviously form and fitness are not concerns. Over his career of 101 games he has averaged 20 possessions a game, with his average close to 24 this year. That puts him fourth on the list for getting the pill. Not bad for a bloke who spends most of his time in defence. Seriously considered as captaincy material internally, with he and Ross next cabs off the rank. In the leadership group as well. Tell me why he's over rated and give me some evidence. I wait with bated breath.

He had 35 touches last week and didn't get a single coaches vote. That says something.

The fact that he's in our leadership group says more about us than it does about him.

I don't rate him.
One game. No mention of the other 100. So the coaches didn't give a vote to a player in a side that was badly beaten. That's your evidence that he is overrated? So no evidence. Just your opinion. That's ok, that's what I thought. Plenty, including those itk being his team mates who voted him into the leadership group in successive years are wrong and you are right. The coaches who've picked him for the past 90 out of 94 games, watch him train and have invested heavily in him are also wrong? Of course they are. Btw, apart from finding the ball more than most, he averages fewer than one Clanger per game. Awful decision making? Again, you provide no evidence. Turnovers, clangers etc.? I'm not surprised you don't rate him. Not surprised at all.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What, in your opinion has gone wrong, ToT?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I don't rate him.
One game. No mention of the other 100. So the coaches didn't give a vote to a player in a side that was badly beaten. That's your evidence that he is overrated? So no evidence. Just your opinion. That's ok, that's what I thought. Plenty, including those itk being his team mates who voted him into the leadership group in successive years are wrong and you are right. The coaches who've picked him for the past 90 out of 94 games, watch him train and have invested heavily in him are also wrong? Of course they are. Btw, apart from finding the ball more than most, he averages fewer than one Clanger per game. Awful decision making? Again, you provide no evidence. Turnovers, clangers etc.? I'm not surprised you don't rate him. Not surprised at all.
??

Of course it's my opinion.

But as for him getting picked for 100 games, and being in our leadership group - do I have to remind you that we've been in the bottom half of the ladder in that entire time and just appointed Jaryn Geary as our captain?

Jaryn Geary.

As for the coach's votes example, it was highlighting how ineffective his disposals are.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Imo Newnes struggles with his decision making once under pressure. He is one of the main offenders of the run and gun when the numbers aren't right for that type of entry.

Handing it over like that is really costly against most teams. Entries like that are why we've been smashed recently.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I don't rate him.
??

But as for him getting picked for 100 games, and being in our leadership group - do I have to remind you that we've been in the bottom half of the ladder in that entire time and just appointed Jaryn Geary as our captain?

Jaryn Geary.

As for the coach's votes example, it was highlighting how ineffective his disposals are.
Seriously? When the best six on the ground were Bulldogs. Billy gets a vote for the encouragement award. Again, based on one game. As for him being picked in 100 games and the leadership group, why aren't the other 34 guys not picked in the group, or why is he the leading game player from his group and many before? Do you know the coaches personally and what they thought of his game? No, of course you don't, just more speculation and baseless opinion on your part.

I note Jack got 75 votes from the punters for his game, 31 ahead of the next player. More of your "evidence" that they are too fond of him. Maybe it's because they know more about football than you do. Just to remind you of some facts, which you seem to want to be unacquainted with. NEwnes, 35 possessions, 10 contested, 25 uncontested, 7 tackles (way above average), and here's where your argument gets destroyed completely, 83% efficiency. What do you expect? Maybe him missing out in the coaches votes says more about the coach than the player. As for you, like Meher Baba, I give up.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I don't rate him.
??

Jaryn Geary.

Seriously? When the best six on the ground were Bulldogs. Billy gets a vote for the encouragement award. Again, based on one game. As for him being picked in 100 games and the leadership group, why aren't the other 34 guys not picked in the group, or why is he the leading game player from his group and many before? Do you know the coaches personally and what they thought of his game? No, of course you don't, just more speculation and baseless opinion on your part.

I note Jack got 75 votes from the punters for his game, 31 ahead of the next player. More of your "evidence" that they are too fond of him. Maybe it's because they know more about football than you do. Just to remind you of some facts, which you seem to want to be unacquainted with. NEwnes, 35 possessions, 10 contested, 25 uncontested, 7 tackles (way above average), and here's where your argument gets destroyed completely, 83% efficiency. What do you expect? Maybe him missing out in the coaches votes says more about the coach than the player. As for you, like Meher Baba, I give up.
Nice rant.

Back to my original point - Newnes is overrated by most Saints fans.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I don't rate him.
??

Jaryn Geary.

Nice rant.

Back to my original point - Newnes is overrated by most Saints fans.

By the way, he's never polled a Brownlow vote either.
I actually used to like Newnes, until about early this year.
He strikes me as a downhill skier, goes well when the team is winning...
Oh, I know he got 35 touches against the Dogs, but they didn't really bother nullifying him for some reason.

The Dogs' brace of coaches (who are professionals- like the Saints' coaches) didn't rate Newnes as highly as emotive Saints fans.
Notice that neither Bevo nor Richo gave votes to Newnes.

Newnes won't do anything team-lifting or inspiring; he is not A-grade at all. Never will be.
Just an honest toiler with no real stand-out qualities.

If the fans insist on putting guys like him on a pedestal, the next flag will be decades away.
Geary as captain, Gilbo as a fumbling confused Keystone Cop who makes a great spoil one minute, and kicks straight to an opponent the next.
This is the club that is hoping for a top 4 finish in 2018. Seriously?

My opinion, Johnny Member's opinion, and a few others on here too.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 03 Jun 2017 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
lintonstreet
Club Player

What a horrible bloody post.
You call yourselves Saints people and half way through the season you're bagging out either our playing list or our coach.
Fcukin disgrace - go and support another club.
After every loss it's the same posters that rip into our boys.
We're going to win some and lose some but for fcuk sake stop throwing players under the bus!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:What a horrible bloody post.
You call yourselves Saints people and half way through the season you're bagging out either our playing list or our coach.
We're going to win some and lose some but for fcuk sake stop throwing players under the bus!
I went to pretty much every game in the bad old days when the Saints got belted by cricket scores.
Bad memories, and I hate it when the Blue Sky Brigade think that our current team smells like roses
when in fact, it's more like a compost heap.

lintonstreet
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
I went to pretty much every game in the bad old days when the Saints got belted by cricket scores.
Bad memories, and I hate it when the Blue Sky Brigade think that our current team smells like roses
when in fact, it's more like a compost heap.
I'd prefer the blue sky brigade than those supporters who have aged with bitterness about our great club

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Don't get me wrong, I like Newnes. He tries hard, is pretty tough and is durable.

He's just very overrated by Saints fans.

His skills aren't great, and his decision making is awful. He's a long kick with a nice action - which sucks people in to thinking he's a great kick. He's not.

Never polled a Brownlow vote either in 100 games FWIW. That stat is usually reserved for taggers and/or stopping defenders - not guys that go through the midfield.

I think we all thought he'd be a gun early in his career - and some seem to have clung onto that thought. Unfortunately the results say different.

He's a reasonable defender - but a terrible on-baller.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

1. It was the club itself marketing itself as an 'anywhere, anytime team'. This was in March during membership season. They havent mentioned it since.
2. It was the club insiders coming on here telling us all was well because Carlton and the Swans are top 4 sides.

I think you need to understand the difference between bagging the club and bagging those working there. Most of us have seen plenty of staff come and go. Bagging or questioning some Mgt decisions isnt the same as bagging the club.

For instance- Criticising the government doesnt make you 'anti-Australian'. Just anti the clowns running the joint at the present time.

Another example - Many were critical of Archie Fraser for the Seaford decision. Did that make them anti the club? Were they a disgrace for daring to question the decision of the CEO at the time? Should we just be sheep and praise whatever decision is made by whatever idiot happens to have the good fortune of being in power at that particular moment?

No - the fans are often right. The same fans who are still here while Archie effing Fraser is loooooooong gone.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 04 Jun 2017 12:21am, edited 4 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
I'd prefer the blue sky brigade than those supporters who have aged with bitterness about our great club
How do you define 'great'?

Besides lots of marketing fluff and some good trades from Bains - I am yet to see anything in the current Admin and coaching staff that makes me think they are any better than the long list of muppets, fools, drunkards and blow-hards we have had running the joint in the last 5 decades.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

Besides lots of marketing fluff and some good trades from Bains - I am yet to see anything in the current Admin and coaching staff that makes me think they are any better than the long list of muppets, fools, drunkards and blow-hards we have had running the joint in the last 5 decades.
Nicely put. +1

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Look up the Kruger-Dunning effect, JM. It could be life changing for you.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We win Friday night and our season is well and truly alive. It is obvious that Adelaide will absolutely destroy teams by huge margins if those teams don't bring effort, but they are beatable against those who do.
The difference between the Bulldogs, the Swans and Adelaide, is that currently the Crows are a fifth-eighth side; the other two have won premierships.
Their belief won't be high after the past month's results. I think Hickey, Bruce and Webster need to come back in because we're a better side structurally when they're in, and those players who need time in the Zebs need to go back there.
If we lose by 8-10 goals against the Crows, whether it's in Adelaide or not, then serious questions will have to be asked about the direction we are headed. I agree with others on here that we shouldn't just accept 2014-standard performances as we do have a very different team now.
I don't think we'll win, because our form is poor, but we need to turn it around so that we are at least a show, and then anything is possible.
I grew up watching the Saints in the late 70s and 80s too, went nearly every week, and you knew that if you played at Victoria Park, Princes Park, Windy Hill, the Lakeside Oval, or Kardinia Park, that you wouldn't win. Now it is Adelaide, Perth, and Kardinia Park. This comes down to a lack of belief in yourselves. Beaten before you run out on the field. The team can end this by winning on Friday night. If Melbourne can do it, we can do it. I'm backing us in for a big effort this week.
Tactically, what worries me a little bit is when we handball 6 times to bring it out of our back half, when one kick would do, and by the time we do bring it forward everyone has to stop until our forwards can run back to forward 50 - along with all of the opposition defenders. We looked all at sea at times over the past two weeks. The other problem we have is shocking conversion rates inside 50. I don't understand how this can be a problem on a dry deck with no wind. But I am a bit different from other posters in that I didn't believe that we're quite ready for finals as yet. I believe that we should win more games than we lose (12) and finish 9th or 10th, nail the first two picks we get in the draft, get Kelly into the midfield, and aim for top 4 in 2018, or 2019.

Friday will be tough, but the five games after that are all very winnable. I think we need to base our evaluation of the team on blocks of games at present, not single matches. The six games starting from Friday night should bring us at least four wins.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Look up the Kruger-Dunning effect, JM. It could be life changing for you.
Ok, but only if you do some homework into 'highly sensitive people'.

Seriously man, your reactions to opposing opinions is pretty unusual.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We win Friday night and our season is well and truly alive.
'Alive' in what context though?

'Alive' as in, we can make the 8?

'Alive' as in, we can make the top 4?

Or 'alive' as in we can win the flag?

Darth Vader
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Coach for me.

McCartin pick 1, Billings pick 3, Carlisle (something like pick 7 or 8 after the trade), Steven - elite, Ross - A-grade, Newnes - close to A-grade, Robbo A-grade, Gresham pick 18, Acres Pick 19, Dunny pick 18, Armo pick 10, Freeman pick 9, STeele something like pick 14 in reality after academy, Longer pick 8, Hickey pick 16 or something, Roo (champion multi-grand final), Joey (champion multi grand final), Gilbo (multi-grand final), Brown (multi-premiership), Goddard pick 21 or something

That is lot of talent (probably should have been more if we stayed down longer as was wise and probably the initial Pelchen plan before Richo pushed a "winning culture" program and took Scneids off the rookie list) and lots of experience. I don't think we play with a great system and that is the problem. We regularly fall in holes when players get tired and they don't know what to do. We can't keep the footy and exhaust ourselves.

Sam Mitchell shocked me on radio when he said "We tried too hard" :shock: What I realised he meant was you need to do your role in the system and let the clever system do the work. You try and do everything and you end up doing nothing. You want the carburetor to function as a carburetor or else the whole system collapses.

I'm putting the System on trial!
You got me back, Bluthy - been so pissed off after the last 2 weeks, I've been off celebrating The Donald's inspiring of total geopolitical chaos to allow V.V.Putin's vision of a multi-polar world to be a 6/4 favourite to come to fruition about 2 years before I tipped it would.

Recent discussions among the tribe have avoided all nonsense about draft picks and such, and concentrated on 1 thing - we won 8 out of our last 10 or 11 last year, played a game style that was clear and understood (leading to high level 'buy in' on ground), finished the year on a high (not a last 4 game high, a 1/2 season high), went to trade and draft time, added 2 accomplished key defenders (who've been good), 2 reasonable mids, 1 a salary cap refugee from the premiers, the other a high draft pick from a club with ultra high midfield draft picks, recovered a couple of big blokes from ordinary physical experiences the previous year, got clapped for the draft time performance, only lost a coupla blokes who were hanging on to help us and themselves out, have had the least injury disturbance of all 18 clubs (up until 2 weeks ago - don't know the figures since), and we've watched us perform at somewhere near our best ONCE IN 9 GAMES!!!! The rest has been tripe.

What is the game plan/style? We can't get out of the back half (we could late last year), the midfield never owns the corridor (we did late last year), the forwards run to the same spots (they separated late last year), out best mid is getting beaten up most weeks (he got off the chain late last year....and early), mids have little vision, their decision making is 4th rate, the disposal is garbage, we go back and across with no idea what comes next (and blokes don't run in preparation, anyway), the expressed strategy - 2 YEARS AGO - was we would allow Roo to avoid the physical battering that comes with being a key forward, and would allow him to float up and back - the list of 'Wha?'s' is almost endless.

Bugger being a brain dead non-thinker, what in the hell has happened?

I reckon I know.
You reckon you know - can you tell us? I'm in suspense here.

lintonstreet
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

That's easy - I love our great club because of the people who support it and with whom I have been going to watch for the past 50 years.
Fortunately none of my mates have the attitude of most on the site - I simply couldn't stand to be around them. You lot should barrack for the Hawks or the Pies as they have heaps of silverware, great administration and supporters like you.
I'm sick of supporters on this site saying I've supported the club since Adam was a boy and am sick of just about verything about the club. My response "piss off we don't need you".
I'm a big part of Reimagine Moorabbin and firmly believe this will help the club immensely onfield and off.
I'm perfectly fine criticising game plans and especially our board and administration BUT our players are taboo.
It's hard enough playing this elite game that ALL SUPPORTERS should never vilify any of them in a public forum. Privately fine but I can tell you many of them are addicted to social media and unfortunately I assume many of them would read comments by many of the unwashed on this site.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote: I'm perfectly fine criticising game plans and especially our board and administration BUT our players are taboo.
It's hard enough playing this elite game that ALL SUPPORTERS should never vilify any of them in a public forum. Privately fine but I can tell you many of them are addicted to social media and unfortunately I assume many of them would read comments by many of the unwashed on this site.
Come on, that's just ridiculous.

You don't think supporters (or 'consumers' as the AFL call us), are within their rights to critique the performance of players??

Seriously?

lintonstreet
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
lintonstreet wrote: I'm perfectly fine criticising game plans and especially our board and administration BUT our players are taboo.
Come on, that's just ridiculous.

You don't think supporters (or 'consumers' as the AFL call us), are within their rights to critique the performance of players??

Seriously?
If you don't get it then you don't get it.
When player criticism extends to "they shouldn't be getting a game" ect then yeah I'm serious.
Trawl back through the criticism on this site of Paddy, Gibbo, Mav and Gears in particular and if you think that's fine - go support another club!