We are on the right track but we need to reset!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

We are on the right track but we need to reset!

We need to reset our expectations. Forget about winning the premiership while Rooey and Joey are still playing. It's not going to happen unfortunately. Once our club get their heads around this only then can we move forward. IMHO we should be targeting 2020 to 2025 for that elusive premiership. This is not just a figure I have pulled out my arse either, it is based on the age demographic of our list.

Step 1. Determine which players will not be part of our next premiership window because of their age and injuries......Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Sam Gilbert and David Armitage.

Step 2. Take our two first round picks to the draft and pick the best available. Since we have accepted our window is still three years away this gives these recruits time to get to that 50 game barrier.

Step 3. Trade our 2018 first for the equivalent 2017 first. That way the player will be one year more advanced than if he was taken in 2018.

Step 4. With our veterans gone plus our war chest plus the Salary Cap going up, grab 2 gun FA's this year and possibly another one next year.

The main point of my post is that yes, we are on the right track but I feel that the focus needs to change from the road to 2018 and pushed back by a couple of years.

Thoughts?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: We are on the right track but we need to reset!

I think the Dogs flag allowed people's imaginations to run wild that we could win one in the next two years.
What that fantasy ignores is just how well the Dogs drafted and how good their younger players really are.
We need to face some facts. Guys like Bont, JJ, MacRae, Hunter and Stringer are seriously good players.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think the Dogs flag allowed people's imaginations to run wild that we could win one in the next two years.
What that fantasy ignores is just how well the Dogs drafted and how good their younger players really are.
We need to face some facts. Guys like Bont, JJ, MacRae, Hunter and Stringer are seriously good players.
Some of the other players got under my radar, and other folks too, I imagine.
Liam Picken- who would predict his performance in finals?
And there's others, but it's also the way they play, they were brave last year, and had assistance from the Green3

I can't see many of our guys really stepping up in a final. I have Ross first, then Acres, then Stuv, and maybe Steele,
but never Weller, who goes missing, nor Robbo, who loves running free but when he's made accountable, what happens.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I too think we are not where everyone thought... imagine if you said that after beating Carlton?!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Given how incredibly even the competition is, whoever makes the 8 this year will have a shot. Given the evenness of the comp, winning the 12/13 games needed to make the 8 is going to be quite a challenge, tougher than it has ever been. We're still in the thick of it.

Sanctorum
Club Player

As much as I feel so despondent following the last 2 losses to the Swans and the Dogs (I thought we were unlikely to do the Swans, but had much higher expectations in yesterday's game against an out of form Dogs outfit), we need to look at things in perspective.

After 10 rounds in 2016 St Kilda were 4-6 with a percentage of 89.47
After 10 rounds in 2017 St Kilda are 5-5 with a percentage of 98.35

All the hype after St Kilda beat the Giants so convincingly gave us great hope and expectations, especially after adding Carlton's scalp to make the Saints 5-3.

There is a concern that the way the Saints played in the last 2 games gives a feeling that the wheels have fallen off the bus, because it is one thing to acknowledge that both the Swans and Dogs have far more talented lists, yet entirely another to see the poor skills levels by the Saints in both games - levels that after 10 games are quite unacceptable for a team supposedly on the improve.

A clearer indication of St Kilda's progress will come when they play the Crows in Round 11, in Adelaide. In this season of so many unpredictable results, there is every chance that the Saints could knock them off, coming after the bye. But it will require a marked turnaround in the form of every Saints player, across all lines.

Team selections for that game will be a real dilemma - I really hope that Paddy McCartin retains his spot: they need to get a lot of games into him so that he builds the confidence that can only be gained in the Seniors. He has the raw talent, a big body, strong hands and a very good kick for goal - and if delivery into the forward 50 improves so will Paddy start to make his mark.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:We need to reset our expectations. Forget about winning the premiership while Rooey and Joey are still playing. It's not going to happen unfortunately. Once our club get their heads around this only then can we move forward.

Thoughts?

Oh FFS, when did the club ever say that was the plan? ANSWER: Never.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-13/s ... ad-to-2018

St Kilda's blueprint for pre-2020 flag
Jennifer Phelan March 13, 2014 7:30 PM

ST KILDA has outlined plans to win its second premiership before 2020 as part of a long-range strategic outlook that includes increasing membership, reducing debt and creating an "admired culture".

The Saints unveiled their "strategic framework" for 2014-2018 to the club's members and key stakeholders at their season launch on Thursday night.

The vision is to ensure the club is "admired as a competition leader in recruiting, player development and coaching" by 2018.

The plan is to deliver Grand Final success before 2020 – which will be the Saints' second flag after their sole 1966 triumph – and ensure the club is in the top four by 2018.

Captain Nick Riewoldt spoke at the launch, held at St Kilda's National Theatre, and mentioned the importance of the entire club working towards the goals laid out in the blueprint.

At 31, the skipper is realistic about his time left in the game but is encouraged by the past in regards to how quickly fortunes can change in football.

"Incidentally, if we can get there a bit before 2018, that would be great," Riewoldt said.

"I'd like to play in a finals series before I hang up the boot
s.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote: Step 4. With our veterans gone plus our war chest plus the Salary Cap going up, grab 2 gun FA's this year.

Thoughts?
Two Gun FA's this year.

As there are only two gun FA's available this year, who are both RFAs, that means that the club has to land both Martin and Fyfe. Yes that will be a breeze. :shock:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
citywest

saintsRrising wrote:
citywest wrote: Step 4. With our veterans gone plus our war chest plus the Salary Cap going up, grab 2 gun FA's this year.

Thoughts?
Two Gun FA's this year.

As there are only two gun FA's available this year, who are both RFAs, that means that the club has to land both Martin and Fyfe. Yes that will be a breeze. :shock:
I didn't say it was going to be a breeze did I saintsRrising? But it is something that we should try to make happen. We will definitely have the money and there are more than just Martin and Fyfe. What about Zaharakis and Rockliff? If we were to get 2 of that 4 as FA's plus go to the draft with 3 first round picks I would be rapt. But this can only happen if our veterans all retire this year. That's what I would do if I was in charge.