Positives: McCartin was good

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Re: Positives: McCartin was good

Wombat15 wrote:I have always been 50/50 with paddy.
I guess seeing the 3 types of #1 picks weve had and what weve come to expect has clouded my judgement. Roo is a once in a generation footballer and is top 2 #1 picks depending on who you talk to. BJ took a while to get going i remember there was a season he didnt take a contested mark or something of that ilk until late in the season. He copped a bit early on also. Paddy is different again hes built like an old school FF but playing in the modern game.

In Paddy's defense our ball use going inside 50 this year has been absolutely dreadful based on the eye test. On the weekend he was isolated in the 50 on many occasions and had not only Adams wearing him like a glove but had morris floating across him as well. our forward line set up does not benefit him in any way shape or form. In the NBA or NFL you build your system around the strengths of your key players. I.e Paddy needs a couple of small forwards at his feet (Gresh and Wright). He needs a bloke like Membrey to take away a defender and Most definitely needs Bruce to take the 2nd Defender. then you sprinkle a bit of Billings, Minch, Lonie and Weller (if he lifts his work rate and goes back to basics i.e 2013-2015 mav). then you have yourself a system whereby paddy can flourish.
If im going by the games from memory last year that he played well we had that system. Hawks, Dees, Tigers and Pies. This year we had that system against the Eagles, he may have kicked 2.3 but i can live with the kid wanting to put the team on his back.

I am also living with the theory the kid has small man syndrome. not that hes aggressive but he sees himself as smaller and weaker than his opponent. you see him at vfl level he has that browny strut like he owns the effing ground. i want to see that same confidence at the top level. there was a moment in his first season where he rag dolled rance to the ground and won the 1-1 contest. gimme more of that and the marks like the hawks game and youve got a best of an FF. theres also the fact he hasnt kicked more than 2 goals in a game yet. I reckon get the ball to him early. if you watched the tom boyd game in the gf he kicked an early one and i thought at the time hes in for a big day here.

In terms of the negatives the workrate and aggression is an issue. weve grown up in an era of Hammil, Hall and Gehrig who were all forwards you didnt want to mess with. but then you see paddy whos this country kid with a big smile doesnt really get you fired up. hasnt kicked more than 2 goals in a game yet either which may be causing the yips in front of goal when lining up for number 3.

overall i dont think our forward structure suits him. when membrey goes high 20 gamer paddy gets double teamed (whats he meant to do?). when its only membrey and paddy we dont have the targets to hit if we do go high and long into the 50 (hence the desparate need for bruce). we have the pieces its just a matter of developing a system that can work for 2 talls, 1 mid sized and 3 smalls.

Best opinion/view on Paddy I've read yet!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I've joked about not taking Petracca, but the club would have been mad not to take McCartin at no. 1

Even if he is a spud, big dudes - especially high draft pick big dudes, are worth a shitload!

GWS scored pick 6 and Ryan Griffen for Tom Boyd FFS!

Richmond are supposedly looking at offering Schache up to $700k per year!!

If, and I certainly hope we don't as McCartin is a GUN in the making, if we did want to trade him, he'd be wroth a fortune to us!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:I've joked about not taking Petracca, but the club would have been mad not to take McCartin at no. 1

Even if he is a spud, big dudes - especially high draft pick big dudes, are worth a shitload!

GWS scored pick 6 and Ryan Griffen for Tom Boyd FFS!

Richmond are supposedly looking at offering Schache up to $700k per year!!

If, and I certainly hope we don't as McCartin is a GUN in the making, if we did want to trade him, he'd be wroth a fortune to us!
Correct Johnathan!!!!!

But Paddy's a keeper!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯