I Can't Believe We Were Thrashed By The Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I Can't Believe We Were Thrashed By The Swans

I absolutely cannot believe we lost to Sydney - and by 50 points - and at home!!
I held my own counsel last week despite the hiding but, after watching them tonight, this has identified for me exactly why we are not ready for finals this year. There are just too many sides we don't turn up against - not for four quarters anyway.

We lost to the Eagles again, who lost by 11 goals to Essendon, and last week got schooled by a side who are really struggling, and have a history of producing their best football against us, time and time and time again.
Until we can beat the following sides finals are a pipedream; Eagles, Sydney, North Melbourne, Adelaide and the Power.

Hawthorn showed us the way tonight - keep pushing the ball forward - that's what puts pressure on your opponent, not handpassing backwards.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: I Can't Believe We Were Thrashed By The Swans

samuraisaint wrote:I absolutely cannot believe we lost to Sydney - and by 50 points - and at home!!
I held my own counsel last week despite the hiding but, after watching them tonight, this is exactly why we are not ready for finals this year. We lost to the Eagles again, who lost by 11 goals to Essendon and last week got schooled by a side who are really struggling, and have a history of producing their best football against us, time and time and time again.
Until we can beat the following sides finals are a pipedream; Eagles, Sydney, North Melbourne, Adelaide and the Power.
Doesn't say much for the Hawks then, given that we beat them by 75 points. Maybe the Swans being a player or two down contributed a bit.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Because the Swans are a top four team...at least, according to a few on this forum.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:I absolutely cannot believe we lost to Sydney - and by 50 points - and at home!!
I held my own counsel last week despite the hiding but, after watching them tonight, this is exactly why we are not ready for finals this year. We lost to the Eagles again, who lost by 11 goals to Essendon and last week got schooled by a side who are really struggling, and have a history of producing their best football against us, time and time and time again.
Doesn't say much for the Hawks then, given that we beat them by 75 points. Maybe the Swans being a player or two down contributed a bit.
We played for four quarters against them. We need to play for four quarters more often. When we do that we will be ready for finals.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Lack of Rotations hurts any team!!!!!##!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We were rubbish last week...and I hate losing to the Swans ever since that Prelim final.
Up for 3 weeks and down with a jolt...look at West Coast last week or Adelaide for two weeks in a row.

It's all about how we respond. Doggies coming of a loss also...it should be a full on game.

Nee!
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Anyone catch lingy's top 10 midfielders list after the game? Not a single sainter even on the shortlist Harvey and Lenny robbed big time!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Brunswicksainter wrote:Anyone catch lingy's top 10 midfielders list after the game? Not a single sainter even on the shortlist Harvey and Lenny robbed big time!
Lingy is just one bloke with an opinion.
Everyone's got an opinion.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

Brunswicksainter wrote:Anyone catch lingy's top 10 midfielders list after the game? Not a single sainter even on the shortlist Harvey and Lenny robbed big time!

Post 2000, so that rules Banger out, Lenny was on the original list, but, in fairness to the great Lenny, not quite the quality of the other blokes, but as previously stated, only Lingy's opinion!!!!!##!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Harvey not there? Surely not. Two Brownlows, 8 AA, etc. it just shows how deep the hatred of the saints is by the hicks from the country.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Maybe some of them had the virus half of Melbourne has atm.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We handed the Swans that game, sloppy skills, poor defensive work from the mids and forwards. Richo needs to find a Plan B for when Steven gets a hard tag, as Jack can't fight his way out of a paper bag once he is heavily tagged.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:We were rubbish last week...and I hate losing to the Swans ever since that Prelim final.
Up for 3 weeks and down with a jolt...look at West Coast last week or Adelaide for two weeks in a row.

It's all about how we respond. Doggies coming of a loss also...it should be a full on game.
I think we can certainly beat the Dogs today. We match up well against them and they seem to have a bit of a premiership hangover to boot. I am more disappointed that we seem to keep losing to the same half dozen teams the same way this past six seasons and the script doesn't change. If there are six teams in an eighteen competition who beat us easily every time we play them that to me is a massive handicap. This has been the history of St. Kilda and our win-loss records against our opponents bears this out. Our personnel is very different to the team we had in 2013 but the results are all eerily similar.
If we win today I won't be surprised; I'll be happy, but not surprised, desu ne.
But beware Adelaide over there after the bye, because the result today will have zero influence on that game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Hawthorn showed us the way tonight - keep pushing the ball forward - that's what puts pressure on your opponent, not handpassing backwards.
Don't agree with this bit.

Hawthorn chipped, and chipped, and chipped. It was some of the worst footy I've seen this decade. The reason it worked was the same reason it worked against Melbourne, and worked for a half against Collingwood - because these teams panicked and kept giving them the ball back.

Hawthorn are doing what Hawthorn have always done. Don't stress about winning the ball in the middle - but instead set up defensively, pressure the ball carrier out of their defence and wait for them to give it back to you. Moving the pill quickly slices it open. Like the way we did, and the way Collingwood did in the 2nd half. And the way Sydney did in bursts last night.

If you can't move it quickly - whatever you do, at any cost - do NOT fall the 'bomb it in' strategy. That's exactly what they set up for and exactly what they want you to do. Melbourne did this for 3 quarters until Goodwin finally woke up and went small up forward, Sydney kept doing it last night, and Collingwood did it for a half.

So I don't think it's anything special that Hawthorn did offensively - it's what Sydney did offensively that was the problem.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gee this is a funny place sometimes. On one thread I'm reading Mr Member telling us that we have the worst coach and list in history, barely capable of beating the Yackandandah under-9s. And on this thread I'm reading shock and horror that we couldn't beat last year's runners up.

You know, I can certainly believe that we have lost badly to the Swans, and that the Cats have lost badly to the Pies, and the Crows lost badly to the Roos and Demons, and the Dogs lost to the Cats, and that the Giants lost to us, and so on and so forth. It's one of those strange, topsy turvy sorts of seasons in which a team which achieves only 13 wins and a reasonable percentage might end up making the top 4.

I reckon Sydney, Hawthorn and North Melbourne are all superior teams than several of those above them: certainly Freo, Richmond, Essendon and possibly West Coast too. The battles for the top 4 and the top 8 spots look likely to be prolonged and complicated.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would not be surprised that if we got a top ten pick this year it will be from our own pick.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hawks are good at open space and chipping it around.

Allow them to do it and they can win.

But they are vunerable to fast ball movement and pressure.

The swans allowed hawks to play as they wished. Wheras the week priot they were manic against the the Saints.

Pies closed the hawks down when they wised up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Gee this is a funny place sometimes. On one thread I'm reading Mr Member telling us that we have the worst coach and list in history, barely capable of beating the Yackandandah under-9s.
That's simply not true.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

The swans beat us up because they know they can and we fell for it.
Hawthorn bear the Swans with the tactics they used against us.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, at least now we know where we sit. We are a 7-8 goal worse side than the the grandfinalists of last year. Despite this and as disappointing as today was, we do need to remember that we played the Swans and the Dogs at almost full strength; certainly a lot closer to full strength than they have been in first two months of the season (not that that is any excuse against the Swans to lose as badly as we did). We also played Melbourne at full strength too when we lost by 6 goals.
Before the Swans game I said to a mate who barracks for Geelong that we will know where we are in terms of ability after the next three games. We have one more of that block to go - against the Crows in Adelaide. This is not necessarily a bad thing. The club have two weeks to prepare and if they approach it as a challenge to be met we should have all of our questions well and truly answered at the end of that game.
Our draw this year was always going to be a tough one and was always going to make it hard for us to make the finals, but Richo needs to ensure that we remain competitive in the tough ones, and that we win the games we should, such as the Suns at Etihad in a few weeks. My belief after today is that Bruce really needs to come straight back in.
I was very concerned last week at the number of unforced errors, and today at the number of turnovers. I have really enderestimated how important Hickey, Webster, and Riewoldt are to our structures. I guess losing Fisher and Dempster has also created holes in defence. I didnt think we'd miss them with Carlisle and Brown back there, but Fisher and Dempster were fantastic players and can't be easily replaced.
We badly lack a small crumbing forward and I hope that Billings can fill that role. He is certainly showing signs.
I hope Richo sticks with McCartin now that he's in, however we shouldn't expect too much from him against the Crows over there. As long as he creates a contest, can hold some more marks and kick at least 2 goals I'll be happy. He showed something today.
Perhaps in the next couple of games we could gradually start easing some of the newer players on the list into the team (not all at once). We could holler for a Marshall to try out in the foward line, give Pierce some time in the ruck until Hickey comes back, give Joey a rest and debut Rice. We could certainly do worse.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 27 May 2017 10:21pm, edited 3 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Worried me greatly.
Losing to a bottom 6 interstate side is horrendous.
No excuse.
We should have been frothing at the mouth last week but the blue sky brigade took and over and said all was fine because despite their ladder position the Swans are really a top 4 side.
Somehow this obvious lack of logic or rational thought was allowed to prevail another week.