Winmar bronze statue

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Winmar bronze statue

As I mentioned in the other thread, there was a bloke on AFL360 raising $ to create a bronze statue of Nicky Winmar in the "iconic" pose.

It's intended to coincide (next year) with 25 years since the Vic Park stand taken by the great #7.

My only reservation about the project is the desire to place it at Vic Park. There will always be a home for it at Moorabbin.

Anyway, if you have a few bucks lying around it seems a pretty worthy cause for any saintsationalist.

Here's the link to donate.

https://pozible.com/project/nicky-winmar-statue

Always loyal
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Winmar bronze statue

SemperFidelis wrote:As I mentioned in the other thread, there was a bloke on AFL360 raising $ to create a bronze statue of Nicky Winmar in the "iconic" pose.

It's intended to coincide (next year) with 25 years since the Vic Park stand taken by the great #7.

My only reservation about the project is the desire to place it at Vic Park. There will always be a home for it at Moorabbin.

Anyway, if you have a few bucks lying around it seems a pretty worthy cause for any saintsationalist.

Here's the link to donate.

https://pozible.com/project/nicky-winmar-statue

I would be much happier to see it outside the "G"'.
But then seeing we play our home games at Etihad maybe at the ground side end of the footbridge from Spencer St.
It should not be lost at the almost disused Victoria Park.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Should be outside the new Moorabbin. Will likely get vandalised outside Vic Park, where
Pies fans have few fond memories of the moment or the furore it caused.

Or down in St Kilda somewhere.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No way would I donate a cent if it is to be located at Feral Park. The imbecile Pies fans would probably spit on it.

Why can't it just be incorporated into the the design and planning of Reimage Moorabbin instead and stop this gofundme nonsense??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I was at the game when Winmar made his statement.

They ought to build a statue of Winmar & Gilbert McAdam.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Place the statute at Filth Park? Never.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Putting it at filth park would be like the poms wanting to put up a statue of "bomber" Harris in Dresden. A bit hyperbolic, but you get the drift.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I was at the game when Winmar made his statement.

They ought to build a statue of Winmar & Gilbert McAdam.
Agreed, nothing like the old days at surburban grounds, between the two of them they cut the Filth a new @hole that day.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

As much as I loved Nicky, he would be a fair way down the list of people that would be honoured with a statue at Moorabbin, (Barker, Lockett, Harvey, Baldock, Vidovic etc. would go first) and he would be even further down the list at the MCG.

The statue they are talking about commemorates a certain moment in time that happened at a certain place and it would be inappropriate to put it anywhere else.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:As much as I loved Nicky, he would be a fair way down the list of people that would be honoured with a statue at Moorabbin, (Barker, Lockett, Harvey, Baldock, Vidovic etc. would go first) and he would be even further down the list at the MCG.

The statue they are talking about commemorates a certain moment in time that happened at a certain place and it would be inappropriate to put it anywhere else.

Now you're having a lend aren't you!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:As much as I loved Nicky, he would be a fair way down the list of people that would be honoured with a statue at Moorabbin, (Barker, Lockett, Harvey, Baldock, Vidovic etc. would go first) and he would be even further down the list at the MCG.

Why not have statues of all the saints legends around Linton Street? Cue the little girl in the taco add.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Has to go near the 'G.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Place such a statute at Filth Park and it won't be just the pigeons shitting on it.