Saintas' 2017 Trading/Draft period options - starter pack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Saintas' 2017 Trading/Draft period options - starter pack

We currently have:
- Heaps of cap room.
- Add to that, the cap is going up by a further $2 million.
- Destination club cred' - young, exciting and on the rise.
- Our rebuild is at the stage where it's time to finish it off with some raiding. :twisted:
- Yoda Bains to make deals happen.

Here are some possible combinations.
Please note, all offers are approximations, as I don't have access to who is currently being paid what, so as to more properly work out what we'd need to pay.
In the interests of simplicity, I haven't considered whom we could trade out for extra draft picks or to sweeten a deal.
For the full list of 'what is available' see http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_ ... ct_players

So, lets shop. :D
Kelly - for that Dawk's pick. $1 mil a year. Could we get him for $900K, with sweetners(?)
Whitfield - for our remaining 1st rounder. Shouldn't break the bank, as he hasn't done too much yet, but rumoured to want out.
(We'd arguably be paying unders for Kelly, slight overs for Whitfield - so balances out.)
Rockcliff - restricted FA. Offer $600K, a flag, and redemption to him. (If the Teddies match the $$$, which is unlikely, we can always frontload to make it harder for them.)
Dusty - $1.2 mil and a flag to him.
We may as well avail ourselves of FAs, as they don't cost us draft picks.

If (when) some of these fall through:
Offer the Kelly deal to Jake Lever, or McGovern (Crones), or Weitering (Carlscum), or Petracca. (Offer less $$$ for McGovern - defenders command less $$$.)
Offer the Whitfield deal to Harry McKay (Carlscum), or Cockatoo (Hillbillies), or Hopper (Wogans), or Weideman (Dreamons), or Dan Rioli (Tuggers), or Zak Jones (Swines), or Zac Dawson (I'm kidding).
Offer the Rocky deal to Zarharkis.

That's the starter pack. What else could be on our shopping list...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saintas' 2017 Trading/Draft period options - starter pac

early review of the 2017 Draft possibles

Brett Anderson @BAndersonSEN
Hard to get excited about anything for this year's #AFLDraft from today's trials between Metro, Country & Allies. She sure ain't deep.
Matt Balmer‏ @MattBalmer7

Clubs haven't spoken too high about WA or SA trials either - draft falls off a cliff after about Pick 30. #shallow Some great talls in 2018.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Just being devils advocate here, but......

- We won't be the only club with cap space, Kangas obviously have opened up the vault, and HS talking up the Hawks cap space today.

- We can pretty much forget about the increase in cap space under the new CBA - all of the current contracts would be written up so they just increase by whatever the percentage is, effectively taking up that space automatically. The only time it's relevant is when we hear "Saints have offered so-and-so $1.2M a year, and our response is "there's no way he's worth that much", well he probably is now because the amount of million dollar players will dramatically increase this season.

- "Destination Club" concept is drifting by the week. If you look at the run home, 8 out of the remaining 12 are genuine 50/50 games, and 3 of the other 4 are unlikely chances. If injuries hit hard, or we cant get out of this funk we're in, it could be a long few months and our future doesn't look so rosey.

- See above. We do need A-grade talent, but I'm not sure we've cultivated our own as much as some believe.

- Can't argue with this one - in Ameet we trust. While Ameet is around, I know our off-season will be positive. But bringing in 4 genuine A-graders in one off season may be a stretch even for him.

shrodes
SS Life Member

I'm frothing at the mouth for trade period... if we can get this kid, game on.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lol @ selling a flag as part of a trade enticement.

This is St.Kilda.

Edit....
Kelly's footskills are obscene.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:We currently have:
-

Our definitions of either "currently" or "destination club" must be different.

To be a "destination club" IMO you need to be a club very likely of playing in the Grand Final the season that the new player would join you. As a consequence of being a "destination club" a player would be willing to join that club below their market worth.

A variations on the theme would be say Geelong having the ENORMOUS good fortune to be the nearest AFL Club to Moggs Creek. The Pies got Treloar largely as he wanted to play in front of bigger crowds.

I cannot envisage any of the guns joining us at a discount.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 29 May 2017 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PS: I am desperately hoping that the Saints have been into Kelly like rumoured for the last two years to the extent that he is favourably disposed to joining the Saints.
To the extent that gaining Steel his best mate as part of the strategy....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If Kelly wants to come home to Vic we are as well placed as any to get him.
Giants would demand two top ten picks - check
Kelly will need $1M per annum - check
Jet midfielder with A grade foot skills

How do we get Whitfield as well?
First pick 2019 plus what?
They won't want a player, maybe we could get a 2nd rounder for Hickey or Longer to on trade to get the deal across the line. Money shouldn't be an issue.
Great runner, VG kick and will be an A grade link player

Then get Rocky as FA - would have to pay enough that Lions get enough compo not to match offer.
Elite ball winner and accumulator.

We then need another FA with outside speed and disposal if we can find one.
Motlop? Can be devastating on his day.

So I'm dreaming.....

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Kelly - for that Dawk's pick. $1 mil a year. Could we get him for $900K, with sweetners(?)
Whitfield - for our remaining 1st rounder. Shouldn't break the bank, as he hasn't done too much yet, but rumoured to want out.
(We'd arguably be paying unders for Kelly, slight overs for Whitfield - so balances out.)
Rockcliff - restricted FA. Offer $600K, a flag, and redemption to him. (If the Teddies match the $$$, which is unlikely, we can always frontload to make it harder for them.)
Maybe add our 2018 1st for Hopper in there as well?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

- Heaps of cap room.
- Our rebuild is at the stage where it's time to finish it off with some raiding. :twisted:

Please note, all offers are approximations, as I don't have access to who is currently being paid what, so as to more properly work out what we'd need to pay.
In the interests of simplicity, I haven't considered whom we could trade out for extra draft picks or to sweeten a deal.
For the full list of 'what is available' see http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_ ... ct_players

Kelly - for that Dawk's pick. $1 mil a year. Could we get him for $900K, with sweetners(?)

Offer the Kelly deal to Jake Lever, or McGovern (Crones), or Weitering (Carlscum), or Petracca. (Offer less $$$ for McGovern - defenders command less $$$.)
Offer the Whitfield deal to Harry McKay (Carlscum), or Cockatoo (Hillbillies), or Hopper (Wogans), or Weideman (Dreamons), or Dan Rioli (Tuggers), or Zak Jones (Swines), or Zac Dawson (I'm kidding).

I love your work Dave but to pull off above would be better trading than the deal that landed the Dawks pick.
GWS spent two first rounders to get Kelly, they are not going to let him go for under two and they'd have to be top 10 or close to it.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that Jake Lever (14) and Ryan Burton (19) were both draft sliders because they had serious injuries in their draft year.
It was no secret they were guns. Basically everyone knew. Yet they slid anyway.
Something to keep in mind.
If someone is a genuine bona fide gun - then they are a genuine gun and can and will return from a one-off injury.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote:If Kelly wants to come home to Vic we are as well placed as any to get him.
Giants would demand two top ten picks - check
Kelly will need $1M per annum - check
Jet midfielder with A grade foot skills

How do we get Whitfield as well?
First pick 2019 plus what?
They won't want a player, maybe we could get a 2nd rounder for Hickey or Longer to on trade to get the deal across the line. Money shouldn't be an issue.
Great runner, VG kick and will be an A grade link player

Then get Rocky as FA - would have to pay enough that Lions get enough compo not to match offer.
Elite ball winner and accumulator.

We then need another FA with outside speed and disposal if we can find one.
Motlop? Can be devastating on his day.

So I'm dreaming.....
You've forgotten that we're getting Fyfe as a FA as well :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Joffa Burns wrote:
- Heaps of cap room.

I love your work Dave but to pull off above would be better trading than the deal that landed the Dawks pick.
GWS spent two first rounders to get Kelly, they are not going to let him go for under two and they'd have to be top 10 or close to it.
Thank you Joffa. :oops:

Personally, I do believe that we can (and most probably, should) obtain one player from each of the above three groups.

Re Kelly, he was pick 2 for the Wogans. I suspect what you're referring to is the Skunks and their recruiting of Treloar(?) I rate Treloar, but I think the Skunks paid too much, and it's coming back to bite them. Similarly, I would not be paying two first rounders for Kelly. I'd look at maybe an exchange of other picks their way, or even throwing in a player, as sweeteners. But they only get our Dawk's pick. (Which, with a touch of luck could be No2.)

If Kelly was to require two first rounders, then I'm happy for us to let someone else overpay. We should simply move to look at one of the other blokes on the 'offer the Kelly deal to' list.

PS: I have no inside info', but I have a strong suspicion that our club is working on securing a gun player, and another hopefully-will-become-a-gun player, and these deals are currently flying under everyone's radar. So let the distraction of the Fluff and Dusty shows roll on. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: