Battle to Play for Hailebury?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Battle to Play for Hailebury?

Sportsday‏ @SportsdayRadio

Mitch Cleary: "St Kilda is in talks with Haileybury to allow Josh Battle to play for his school in a top of the table match against Carey"

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Battle to Play for Hailebury?

I personally haven't got a problem with it, and it would be great for Josh to play with his school mates again!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely no issue with it.
Let the kid have some fun with his footy this year and finish off school. If he trains 3 nights a week and plays 5 games for his school and 5 games for Sandy that would be enough for 2017 imo.

loris
Saintsational Legend

GT allowed Luke Ball to play for his school

Moods
Saintsational Legend

In principle I haven't got a problem with it. In fact I'm all for it. The thing that erks me is the double standards re the Old School tie thing. If Josh went to say Boronia High School would the club be happy for him to play with his mates.

I'll give you an example. About 10yrs ago a local high school in my area were playing in the Herald Shield final against Essendon Grammar (I think) It was the biggest thing going around for this school at the time. The game was being played at the G before an AFL game. The local TAC Cup team discouraged a certain player (who now plays AFL footy) from playing. I mean after all he only went to a high school. Yet the TAC virtually comes to a grounding halt so that boys can play for their local private school during the year - obviously grammar school footy is sooo important isn't it?

We are paying Josh 80k a year to be on our list. I see the benefits of him still playing for his school and enjoying his footy while he can, but I also wonder how powerful the old school tie pull within the AFL.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:In principle I haven't got a problem with it. In fact I'm all for it. The thing that erks me is the double standards re the Old School tie thing. If Josh went to say Boronia High School would the club be happy for him to play with his mates.

I'll give you an example. About 10yrs ago a local high school in my area were playing in the Herald Shield final against Essendon Grammar (I think) It was the biggest thing going around for this school at the time. The game was being played at the G before an AFL game. The local TAC Cup team discouraged a certain player (who now plays AFL footy) from playing. I mean after all he only went to a high school. Yet the TAC virtually comes to a grounding halt so that boys can play for their local private school during the year - obviously grammar school footy is sooo important isn't it?

We are paying Josh 80k a year to be on our list. I see the benefits of him still playing for his school and enjoying his footy while he can, but I also wonder how powerful the old school tie pull within the AFL.
+1. Good point. Agree 100%. Such a wank. Happy for him to play his school footy this year in the current circumstances but agree we should not have double standards based on what kind of school it is.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:GT allowed Luke Ball to play for his school
GT would.
Absolutely wanked himself about Luke Ball. It was a catholic school boy thing. The fact LB went to Xavier made GT positively hard.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
GT would.
Absolutely wanked himself about Luke Ball. It was a catholic school boy thing. The fact LB went to Xavier made GT positively hard.
If GT had been a Protestant, he would've drafted that Cauldield Grammarian, Chris Judd, and he and Judd would've been multiple premiership heroes. Alas, he went the typical Catholic suffering route and we chose Ball.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saints66
Club Player

I remember when I was doing Year 12 a fellow class member got selected to play for Melbourne firsts and they told the school he could not play for them from then on. The school said he plays for us or he leaves. He completed his Marticulation at a Private College in the city. That was CBC St Kilda; very Christian of them.

saints66
Club Player

I remember when I was doing Year 12 a fellow class member got selected to play for Melbourne firsts and they told the school he could not play for them from then on. The school said he plays for us or he leaves. He completed his Matriculation at a Private College in the city. That was CBC St Kilda; very Christian of them.

minneapolis
Club Player

saints66 wrote:I remember when I was doing Year 12 a fellow class member got selected to play for Melbourne firsts and they told the school he could not play for them from then on. The school said he plays for us or he leaves. He completed his Matriculation at a Private College in the city. That was CBC St Kilda; very Christian of them.
I believe that was Brian Dixon was it not? Who became our steemed local MP for St KIlda.....

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:In principle I haven't got a problem with it. In fact I'm all for it. The thing that erks me is the double standards re the Old School tie thing. If Josh went to say Boronia High School would the club be happy for him to play with his mates.

He does not wear an old school tie.
It is the normal Haileybury College tie that he wears.
He is not a full time AFL player yet.
He is still a schoolboy completing his VCE
St Kilda FC knew this when they drafted him.
Carey need to lose anyhow.

A bit technical but Haileybury is not a grammar school, they even call themselves a public school.
They are a member of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria
(They take in a few public students).

The Romans were a knowing race
Vivat Haileyburia!
They made a road down to this place
Vivat Haileyburia!
Romans came and passed away
Normans followed; where are they?
But we are here and here we stay!
Vivat Haileyburia!

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
GT would.
Pretty offensive post there Con.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:I remember when I was doing Year 12 a fellow class member got selected to play for Melbourne firsts and they told the school he could not play for them from then on. The school said he plays for us or he leaves. He completed his Matriculation at a Private College in the city. That was CBC St Kilda; very Christian of them.
I remember De La Salle allowed Barry Breen to play for St Kilda whilst he was still a 17 year old school boy. Christianity didn't come into it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
I remember De La Salle allowed Barry Breen to play for St Kilda whilst he was still a 17 year old school boy. Christianity didn't come into it.
Too bloody right.
He had the chance to play for a St Kilda team (even if it was a Christian Brothers College) but choose to play for Melbourne FC.
Traitor.
Last edited by ace on Wed 24 May 2017 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm all for it. A mixture of dominating school footy and working hard against grown men in the VFL is fine by me.

Wombat15
Club Player

Why not, he's still enrolled in Year 12 on Scholarship. Fair game really.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
saynta wrote:
Too bloody right.
He had the chance to play for a St Kilda team (even if it was a Christian Brothers College) but choose to play for Melbourne FC.
Traitor.
WTF are you smoking there ace boy. He played for the Saints.
Do you remember, he kicked the winning point in the 1966 grandfinal.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
GT would.
If GT had been a Protestant, he would've drafted that Cauldield Grammarian, Chris Judd, and he and Judd would've been multiple premiership heroes. Alas, he went the typical Catholic suffering route and we chose Ball.
If GT was a Muslim.....

OK let's stop right there!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I did not delete your post.
It should have read like this.
Too bloody right.
Traitor.

loris
Saintsational Legend

John Ronaldson, when taken as a schoolboy by the Richmond Football, wasn't allowed to play for the Jordanville Technical School Football team............. I can understand why, the technical school competition, was way way way tougher & fiece than any private school competition in dem, dere days, so any player that was on an VFL list had to be taken down a peg or two in the tech schools comp.

The Catholics and private school proddies, would practically jump off moving trains and buses, if any Jordy Tech school boys got on.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

From memory Luke stated pre draft he would not play AFL that season and would concentrate on school that year.
He effectively stood out his first season though did train at the club and play school footy.
Honorable by Luke to put his education first.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The game concerned is a BYE for Sandi is it not?

If so, why the concern?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We need a report as to how he goes. I don't know if it's the name but I reckon this kid will be a gun.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stonecold
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:We need a report as to how he goes. I don't know if it's the name but I reckon this kid will be a gun.
Not a fan of Josh, have watched him play for along time and think he gets a but ahead of himself!!!!!

But, all the best to him, hope he does we'll!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯