Time to shoot Bambi!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Time to shoot Bambi!!!!!

One of Joey or Rooey has to go at the end of the year, for the Club to continue to Develop and move forward, if the powers that be are fairdinkum, can not re-sign both champions for next season.

At this stage, I would wait for as long as possible before deciding, depending on lots of variables!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time to shoot Bambi!!!!!

stonecold wrote:One of Joey or Rooey has to go at the end of the year, for the Club to continue to Develop and move forward, if the powers that be are fairdinkum, can not re-sign both champions for next season.

At this stage, I would wait for as long as possible before deciding, depending on lots of variables!!!!!
I have no idea what salary either of these players are on this year, but I hope it is megabucks.
Just like I hope we are paying the absolute minimum allowable percentage of the cap.
They should be like place holders.
The more these players are on, the bigger hole they leave in the salary cap when they retire.
That hole can then be filled by our super trades and free agents.
Whether they play on would then be determined by our success or failure in landing big fish to fill the salary cap holes.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Monty will go for sure. Roo probably will also. This season of high pressure footy will nearly kill them.

ace
Saintsational Legend

My mother killed Bambi !
One night I could not find Bambi in my bed.
Bambi could not run away, Bambi must be hiding.
I searched for Bambi but day and night I could not find Bambi.
Then my older brother really upset me by telling me that my mother had thrown Bambi in the rubbish.
A few years later I realised that my mother had killed Bambi without even consulting or telling me.
That was 60 years ago.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I know both dream to be part of another finals campaign, but I'd prefer an honest assessment from our footy department and I'd prefer the focus squarely on team and NOT on individuals.

Do we not have enough leaders? Do we not have enough good players that we need either Roo or Joey to play on to help us win games? Do we not have guys that can play forward? Do we not have players that can play outside and give us run off half back?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:One of Joey or Rooey has to go at the end of the year, for the Club to continue to Develop and move forward, if the powers that be are fairdinkum, can not re-sign both champions for next season.

Agree, we need to move past these two players.

Roo an all time top 3 great of th club and Joey has been a fantastic player over many years.
They are not going to be part of our next premiership and it is time for the next generation of leaders to stamp their authority on the club.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think for the future development of the side they both should retire. They are both hanging on in the hope of playing in another GF but its just not going to happen in the short term. Both are champions of the club and particularly Roo probably has another year left in him but its time.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's see how Sir Rooey's knee is after a few weeks off.

I hope if it comes good he'll be firing towards the end of the year.

I think we really need him for another year at least.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Joey will almost certainly retire at season's end. Roo's body will determine his future.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Joey will almost certainly retire at season's end. Roo's body will determine his future.
Roo has still been in our top 5 players this year. I don't think we can consider not having him until the likes of Paddy further develops.

One year will be our year
older saint
SS Life Member

Watching Saturday I think I marked it down as the beginning of the end for Joey. He looked slow and made uncharacteristic errors due to lack of time.

Roo is treading water to the bye with his knee andmy guess is if we had Brisbane, Gold Coast or a lower team he may well have been rested. His size and athleticism provides a different dynamic to Joey and based on body holding up well worth an additional season

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Rooey is a once in a generation player, it's widely accepted.
We did have hopes that Bruce/Members/Paddy could work as a triumvirate
that would replace him.
It's not going to plan. Can't see that happening, with Bruce going off, Skunk being a shadow of his former self, and Paddy...
Nobody in VFL seemingly putting up a hand.
Top 4 next year is a pie in the sky.
Unless they can find a FA who can be our next big Forward.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ace wrote:My mother killed Bambi !
One night I could not find Bambi in my bed.
Bambi could not run away, Bambi must be hiding.
I searched for Bambi but day and night I could not find Bambi.
Then my older brother really upset me by telling me that my mother had thrown Bambi in the rubbish.
A few years later I realised that my mother had killed Bambi without even consulting or telling me.
That was 60 years ago.
Time to let it go Ace
Then send your mother round to Joey's place
Its bin night at the montagnas

Seeya
citywest

Both should retire as they will not be around when we next contend. Plus with both gone we will be able to grab 2 big fish via Free Agency.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:

Both should retire as they will not be around when we next contend. Plus with both gone we will be able to grab 2 big fish via Free Agency.
It's difficult for me to do this,
but citywest, I agree with your comments 100% :shock:
Last edited by WellardSaint on Tue 23 May 2017 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
stonecold
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
citywest wrote:

It's difficult for me to do this,
but I agree with your comments 100% :shock:
That's ok, no offence taken!!!!!
:wink:

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Has to go?

Why?

Joey plays till there is someone better.

Paddy needs to get a lot fitter to displace Roo.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Roo has still been in our top 5 players this year. I don't think we can consider not having him until the likes of Paddy further develops.

How are they going to further develop if Riewoldt demands every ball coming in? He needs to get his body right and play out this season and next on a wing.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
longtimesaint wrote: Roo has still been in our top 5 players this year. I don't think we can consider not having him until the likes of Paddy further develops.

How are they going to further develop if Riewoldt demands every ball coming in? He needs to get his body right and play out this season and next on a wing.
The problem is, the team rules are just land it to the square and bring it to ground for our crumbers.
Skunk and Bruce don't even try to mark, they just make sure they aren't outmarked.
Carlton's Docherty stuffed that plan.

So, land in square.
Unless Rooey has made 4 furious leads which forces the ball carrier to send it to him, in breach of team rules.
Or maybe Kick-to-Square rule is invoked if Roo is out of position or has 3 guys on him,
or if ball-carrier was distracted and only noticed Roo after he's finished the lead and is running back.

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

Great post. We are 5 years from a flag so both should go. Look at north. They are doing well.
Reiwoldt shiuldnt be playing he runs the team. The guys on one lwg and still plays

Goodbye montagna reiwoldt and let guys stand up. McCartinBruce forward. Membrey Billings on wings/forward
Use the money on a young star or two.

Instead of ol monty gwt mckenzie rice white i to senior footy. One of em will be a star. Or use monty money for zjones.

We have to not sit on our hands here. 3-5 years if we make the hard decisions now we could with somw luck be contending.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Rooey is a once in a generation player, it's widely accepted.
We did have hopes that Bruce/Members/Paddy could work as a triumvirate
that would replace him.
It's not going to plan. Can't see that happening, with Bruce going off, Skunk being a shadow of his former self, and Paddy...
Nobody in VFL seemingly putting up a hand.
Top 4 next year is a pie in the sky.
Unless they can find a FA who can be our next big Forward.
Rooey has missed 7 games since the start of the 2015 season.

Do you want to know how many of those games the saints have won?

ONE.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

FWIW, no one killed Bambi. They killed Bambi's mother. And I think it will be Joey that goes. And rightly so. Roo still has too much to offer, even at half output. 19 possessions and three goals in one of his "worst " games on the weekend. He adds an immeasurable advantage just by being around the place. Use him properly until the end of 2018. Hopefully we can pinch that flag for him. Joey to retire this year. Roo after next. That's a better succession plan than Norf's radical strategy.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The_President
Club Player

Joe Bloggs wrote:Monty will go for sure. Roo probably will also. This season of high pressure footy will nearly kill them.
If Richo has his way...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We're not North. Players to play on if they wish, at appropriate negotiated salary.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Both still playing very well...Reiwoldt still elite....he stays if he wants.
Joey= Bambi

Nee!