a Ritual for changing allegiances in a divided Family

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

a Ritual for changing allegiances in a divided Family

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... bae6fdc6b8
All my three sons abandoned the Saints’ sinking ship and scrambled on to other teams’ lifeboats.

They had seen me too many times on a Friday night or Sunday arvo, shouting at the TV, sweat on brow, thumping the coffee table. I am not a pleasant person to watch football with, I will admit that without reservation.

Anyone who wants to enjoy the experience of watching live sport should put some distance between themselves and me. Probably a suburb or two.

So, two of my sons ended up barracking for Hawthorn and one for Melbourne.
the new ritual
My youngest, one of the Hawthorn clan, decided to switch allegiance. He told me he wanted to reconvert to the Saints, to return to the fold.

He asked if there was any ritual he could perform that would make him a Saint again (he’s very much into rituals and mythology and magic. He loves King Arthur and the Ancient Greek gods). I told him that he had to burn his Hawks beanie in the backyard and we did so with the aid of a splash of kerosene.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
CarlD
Club Player

Re: a Ritual for changing allegiances in a divided Family

I'm glad one of your sons saw the light (so to speak) :D

Vazelos
Club Player

Great it's our duty to convert as many Saints supporters as we can...
My children are Saints tragic and I have converted two foreigners on visas from France and India recently...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Divided loyalties in footy families is a recipe for confusion
BAZ BLAKENEY, Herald Sun
May 19, 2017 10:00pm
Subscriber only
FOOTBALL allegiance is a curious thing. Many parents expect their children to follow in their footsteps and barrack for the family team. You see birth notices in the newspaper with parents proclaiming “Another little Magpie” or “Welcome to a tiny Tiger”.

Was the baby consulted on this vital issue? Maybe they would want to barrack for North Melbourne or West Coast.

They might want to turn their back on football altogether and follow the greyhounds. Or become a Mormon. Or even learn 3D macrame.

It’s an enormous presumption to make about your child, that they will turn into a mini-me. But I must confess I tried this ploy myself. My wife and mother-in-law knitted my first two sons St Kilda jumpers; tiny garments, barely big enough to fit a doll.

All my three sons abandoned the Saints’ sinking ship and scrambled on to other teams’ lifeboats.

They had seen me too many times on a Friday night or Sunday arvo, shouting at the TV, sweat on brow, thumping the coffee table. I am not a pleasant person to watch football with, I will admit that without reservation.

Anyone who wants to enjoy the experience of watching live sport should put some distance between themselves and me. Probably a suburb or two.

So, two of my sons ended up barracking for Hawthorn and one for Melbourne.

One Hawthorn fan has switched back to St Kilda.
In 2008, we took a trip to South Australia around AFL Grand Final time. After a car breakdown in Gawler, we headed north and tried hurriedly to find a pub where we could watch the big game on the telly.

We ended up in a virtual ghost town, in a hotel with maybe five customers, my son proudly emblazoned in his Hawthorn guernsey and scarf.

We were not made to feel especially welcome, I must say. Some South Australians can be a little insular I’ve found, don’t know why.

The Hawks won comfortably and we left quietly. Back in the car on the way to Adelaide my son let out a celebratory whoop.

I asked: “Why didn’t you make that kind of racket back in the pub at the final siren?”

He replied: “I didn’t feel comfortable doing it there.”

I understand his reticence. Rural Australians, Snowtown, all that.

Who wants to end up in a barrel because of a football game?

As an odd aside, as we were driving back to Adelaide, we noticed two brown hawks circling in the sky.

I stopped the car on the empty road and we got out. And there they were. Two majestic hawks looking for prey, sunlight spearing golden shafts through the clouds like a Bible picture. That’s a true story.

But there has recently been a strange turn of events.

My youngest, one of the Hawthorn clan, decided to switch allegiance. He told me he wanted to reconvert to the Saints, to return to the fold.

He asked if there was any ritual he could perform that would make him a Saint again (he’s very much into rituals and mythology and magic. He loves King Arthur and the Ancient Greek gods). I told him that he had to burn his Hawks beanie in the backyard and we did so with the aid of a splash of kerosene.

So we now have two Saints in the house and one less Hawk. It feels better, for me anyway. But perhaps my beanie-burning son will live to regret his Saintly conversion. Premiership cups do not loom large at St Kilda.

My wife barracks for the Swans. The third son stubbornly clings to the Demons but is not overly enthusiastic about it. He prefers basketball. Perhaps he’s the wisest of us all.

Can’t wait for September.

Baz Blakeney is a Herald Sun columnist

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Its painful.

You know what ive been doing the last month.. trying to lure my 4yr to the saints.
His dad barracks for essendon. He travels often for work.
The last 4 weeks Ive been watching the footy and its replays - particularly when saints win and bombers lose.
I am subtle..
"Look Son - saints won this game! lets watch the bombers game now.. ohhh they lost"
This past weekend - he said
"Mummy i dont want 2 teams any more ill just want to be Stkilda with Mummy"
I felt like i really achieved something.

We got up (me and the 2 kids) early to watch the replay - as we hadnt watched it live saturday - none of us knew the results but i was feeling confident.
We are on a run - Its sydney who have clicked in to gear - yet.
All i needed was one more win and my sons a lock in. Ill head down and get his membership to seal the deal. (which has been forbidden until he really did pick a side)

You know how thats turned out for me?

"Mummy - I dont want to be stkilda anymore. I want to be bombers with Daddy"
AND
insult to injury - because Dad made such a celebration out of it when his son comes and says his back on the dons.. the 3yr has jumped ship as well.
My own daughter has deserted me.

For gods sake they better bloody win next weekend because its a really struggle right now.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Your 4 yr old will learn about drugs when older. Hence it must be St Kilda not the druggies

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I cant get nasty. Dad hasnt yet used the premiership flags as a lure.
If i go down that road it will be the first thing he comes back with.

Luckly ive still got our 3 previous games on foxtel. He doesnt seem to mind its the same game. and the losing essendon ones!
He still celebrates all the goals and loves singing the song..
But he never forgets.
His got all his damn sydney footy cards out telling me what each player did this weekend.
His taken them to kinder today to discuss.
Sydney cards - to kinder. Aghhhh!
(his one of those kids remembers stats and things he loves it, since starting auskick his obsessed)

Im so close - im so very close to finalising this.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

One of my daughters wanted to change clubs. I told her it was okay but she would have to find somewhere else to live.

30 odd years later she is still a saints tragic.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

my missus and I had a deal when she was pregnant based on what we'd observed from our friends and other people we know
In a "mixed marriage" a daughter will go for dad's team and a son will go for mum's team
we ended up with a son and alas he follows the Filth
I do suspect tho she withheld the boob if there was a positive reaction to red white and black as opposed to just white and black

coming from St Kilda stock on both sides of the family, this was never an issue for me or my siblings growing up