The forward line.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The forward line.

I think we'll all agree that we continue to fall down up forward. A lot of entries that constantly go unrewarded.

Our forward line hasn't really functioned this season and our talls appear out of form. But, I do think that Paddy, Bruce and Membrey are all quality players. Throw in the likes Gresham, Wright, Billings, Weller (another lacking form) and even Lonie, I think that should be a cracking forward line moving forward.

So are our forwards just out of form, or does the forward line lack structure or is the delivery to our forwards lacking?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The_President
Club Player

Re: The forward line.

The delivery for the most part is atrocious.

Just kicking it to a massive pack 30m out and hoping someone can take a mark is just dumb football.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Bruce and Membrey have both been extremely disappointing this year: for mine, Membrey even more so than Bruce, although there's not much in it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_President
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Bruce and Membrey have both been extremely disappointing this year: for mine, Membrey even more so than Bruce, although there's not much in it.
I never get this debate.

Membrey is head and shoulders above Bruce.

He's more athletics, a better mark, better kick, better around the ground, better at linking. He's just better in every regard.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Membrey is 4 inches shorter than Bruce, he is a medium forward with a decent spring, but in this day and age he is too short for a key position.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Even Buddy would have struggled in our fwd line yesterday, delivery coming out of the centre was almost non-existent, and delivery from the flanks was of high school standard.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

We have a forward line ??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The_President
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Membrey is 4 inches shorter than Bruce, he is a medium forward with a decent spring, but in this day and age he is too short for a key position.
It's Bruce/Paddy.

You can't play Bruce and Paddy without Membrey. Membrey provides so much more than both of them.

saints66
Club Player

The_President wrote:The delivery for the most part is atrocious.

Just kicking it to a massive pack 30m out and hoping someone can take a mark is just dumb football.
well this is a pleasant change to the comments supporters used to have a few years ago when the players/coaches were implored to kick it long.

The_President
Club Player

saints66 wrote:

well this is a pleasant change to the comments supporters used to have a few years ago when the players/coaches were implored to kick it long.

Would love to see them kick it long to a 1 on 1.. not a 10 on 10.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:

Oh no, I heard plenty of it next to me yesterday...they're still out there. I couldn't care if we kicked a chain of 15m passes from half back so long as they bloody hit a target.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Membrey is 4 inches shorter than Bruce, he is a medium forward with a decent spring, but in this day and age he is too short for a key position.
It's Bruce/Paddy.

You can't play Bruce and Paddy without Membrey. Membrey provides so much more than both of them.
Membrey's good overhead and takes more than his fair share of contested marks. But he has lost the reliability in front of goal he had last season.

Really, he, Bruce and McCartin have all been equally mediocre this summer. Although they are playing in front of close to the best midfield in the comp, they have kicked 30-25 between them in a total of 20 individual appearances. I also recall a few shots that missed everything, so we are talking an average of around 3 shots per player per game.

I refuse to accept that it's all the fault of the delivery into the forward 50. The forward unit is not performing well, and its not functioning as a team. Coaching must take some of the blame, but the main problem is that both Bruce and Membrey are way out of form.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_President
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
The_President wrote:
It's Bruce/Paddy.

Membrey's good overhead and takes more than his fair share of contested marks. But he has lost the reliability in front of goal he had last season.

Really, he, Bruce and McCartin have all been equally mediocre this summer. Although they are playing in front of close to the best midfield in the comp, they have kicked 30-25 between them in a total of 20 individual appearances. I also recall a few shots that missed everything, so we are talking an average of around 3 shots per player per game.

I refuse to accept that it's all the fault of the delivery into the forward 50. The forward unit is not performing well, and its not functioning as a team. Coaching must take some of the blame, but the main problem is that both Bruce and Membrey are way out of form.
You aren't dropping someone because they aren't kicking well for goal.
Otherwise Billings would've been dropped after kicking 1.4 against the Pies and 0.3 against the Hawks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:I think we'll all agree that we continue to fall down up forward. A lot of entries that constantly go unrewarded.

Our forward line hasn't really functioned this season and our talls appear out of form. But, I do think that Paddy, Bruce and Membrey are all quality players. Throw in the likes Gresham, Wright, Billings, Weller (another lacking form) and even Lonie, I think that should be a cracking forward line moving forward.

So are our forwards just out of form, or does the forward line lack structure or is the delivery to our forwards lacking?
Main problem is Richos bomb it to 30m area that was working well but no longer does as every opposition coach now knows that we do it and structures up to benefit from it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agree with MB. The trio, that looked so dangerous in the second half of the year, now looks completely out of form. Bruce in the twos and didn't star yesterday at the lower level, Paddy looked a bit lost yesterday and Members, who while he is the best of the trio so far, is nowhere near the level he was last year, even losing his deadly accuracy in front of goal. None of them, ATM, inspire any confidence when lining up, which is a bit of an indictment on them as they are permanent forwards. Although the delivery was on a par with Australia Post standards, that is only part of the problem. The forward system needs an overhaul. They haven't lost their ability, but there is something seriously awry with them as a triumvirate. Over to you, Sammy. The buck stops with you.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agree with MB. The trio, that looked so dangerous in the second half of the year, now looks completely out of form. Bruce in the twos and didn't star yesterday at the lower level, Paddy looked a bit lost yesterday and Members, who while he is the best of the trio so far, is nowhere near the level he was last year, even losing his deadly accuracy in front of goal. None of them, ATM, inspire any confidence when lining up, which is a bit of an indictment on them as they are permanent forwards. Although the delivery was on a par with Australia Post standards, that is only part of the problem. The forward system needs an overhaul. They haven't lost their ability, but there is something seriously awry with them as a triumvirate. Over to you, Sammy. The buck stops with you.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Cant bring Bruce back this week after his weak performance yesterday. Apparently he had 8 possessions while his opponent had 26 and 15 marks and was B>O.G. Liam Jones.

Anybody know if any forwards were decent for Sandy yesterday? I know Ben Long had a good game the previous match.

realdeal
Club Player

Watching the way Nth Melb against Melb kick to their forwards just highlight how badly we kick it to ours. They're kicking into space for them to run into the ball, to their advantage and hitting targets. Even when they do bomb it long it's with purpose.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:We have a forward line ??
Never heard of them ?

We have Fumbles
Carnt mark ovahed
Carnt mark fulstop
and ima ovada hill.

In red white and black from 73
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The giants game had some decent goals where delivery was nice.
Billings to Minch (poor kick but still to his advantage) who handballed to Mr 98 games;
Minch kicking to a free Acres;
Acres again presenting well;
Seb great pass to Fumble-Bun only 20 in front.

See, work to make room, lead, get separation...
Week after, bomb it in, Docherty, and repeat. No good.
Billings goals were being in a good spot and reading play.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

borderbarry wrote:Cant bring Bruce back this week after his weak performance yesterday. Apparently he had 8 possessions while his opponent had 26 and 15 marks and was B>O.G. Liam Jones.

Anybody know if any forwards were decent for Sandy yesterday? I know Ben Long had a good game the previous match.
I remember playing C Grade ammos years ago,
one of our Dusty Martin types was dropped to Ressies for punishment,
boy did he tear it up in that game.

You want your good players to make that statement.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee