I still reckon we've got a pretty good team to support

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: I still reckon we've got a pretty good team to support

The_President wrote:Billings backed up his performance from last week and set a career high in disposals.
I wish I knew where to get access to the metres gained stats, so much more informative when you see Tom Mitchell 308 metres gained from 50 disposals but Pendelbury 691 metres gained from 36 disposals.
It puts disposals into perspective.
What seems to really count is who got the handball to a player in the clear, who kicked it long, who turned over the ball when we had clear possession if the target is hit.
Other handballs less relevant.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: I wish I knew where to get access to the metres gained stats, so much more informative when you see Tom Mitchell 308 metres gained from 50 disposals but Pendelbury 691 metres gained from 36 disposals.
What seems to really count is who got the handball to a player in the clear, who kicked it long, who turned over the ball when we had clear possession if the target is hit.
Hear Hear Ace - SEN proposed a metres gained involvement stat - the first person to handle it obviously getting the better of the stat - but it would show a true indication - if a series of 5 handballs go 10 metres forward and a single kick 50 metres and both end up in a contest, I know which I would prefer

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
The_President wrote:Billings backed up his performance from last week and set a career high in disposals.
I wish I knew where to get access to the metres gained stats, so much more informative when you see Tom Mitchell 308 metres gained from 50 disposals but Pendelbury 691 metres gained from 36 disposals.

Tom Mitchell is no. 1 in the comp for 'Assisted Metres Gained'.

It's a very good, relevant stat.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Don't agree on the midfield bit.

Longer is terrible. Dunstan is woeful. Ross is a gun, Jack is a gun, Steele is decent.

As a result, it's a mediocre midfield overall.

So you aren't actually watching any games then?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Don't agree on the midfield bit.

Longer is terrible. Dunstan is woeful. Ross is a gun, Jack is a gun, Steele is decent.

As a result, it's a mediocre midfield overall.

So you aren't actually watching any games then?

We have only 2 players in the top 50 for the comp for Disposals (15th & 19th).

We have only 2 players in the top 50 for the comp for Clearances - the same 2 players (19th & 20th).

We have only 1 player in the top 50 for Tackles!

We have no players in the top 10 for Uncontested Possessions. None.

We have no players in the top 20 for Contested Possessions. None.

We have no players in the top 50 for Effective Disposals! None in the top 50! (Savage is no. 37 but isn't playing)

We have no players in the top 50 for Disposal Efficiency! None in the top 50! (Savage is no. 37 but isn't playing)

They're not the numbers a gun midfield I'm afraid.

FWIW, Ross' numbers are very good.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Gee the whinging and wailing on SS after a loss is difficult to take.

We have a great midfield - one of the best in the comp, even without Armo - and it was reasonably dominant yesterday.

Our forward line has sucked for most of the season so far: we don't convert anywhere near enough of our gettable chances inside 50. If we'd done more of that yesterday, the game would have remained close until well into the last quarter and who knows.

We were absolutely woeful at bringing the ball out of defence yesterday. The absence of Webster and Newnes was critical here, along with Weller having an off game/being injured, McKenzie making a lot of mistakes, Joey having a terrible game, and Roberton being heavily targeted and having what I thought was one of his worst games in quite a
while. And, of course, the Swans doing a superb job at outplaying us at our own game of closing off all the avenues out of our defensive 50.

We can fix the defence - eg, in the short-term, by bringing back Savage - which means that the forward line remains our major problem. Unfortunately, Riewoldt is still easily our most damaging forward. I think McCartin can improve and should be left in the team for now. I also agree that Bruce should come back. Maybe Membrey is the logical out for now.

Anyway, I'm not as pessimistic as the rest of you. I think that we can still be a top 4 side this season, or certainly in 2018, if we can fix the forward line, and not experience too many more injuries (two players going down in the first quarter - albeit that Weller later came back at half-strength - was pretty harsh).

A few things struck me again yesterday.

1. The right recipe for the midfield is to have all of Steven, Ross, Steele, Stevens, Newnes and Dunstan (or Armo, if fit) powering through the middle. For so much of the Thomas-Lyon era, and also quite often under Richo, we haven't had enough grunt in the engine room for my liking.

2. How do we fix the forward line? For next week, I'd suggest swapping Membrey for Bruce. Perhaps Riewoldt could then play further forward, and Bruce could play a bit more in the half-forward region. I'd also try sending Acres forward for more of the game: he's tall, reasonably strong and capable of taking contested marks. And he has shown that he can kick straight under pressure.

3. The disappointing performance of McKenzie yesterday demonstrated the potential downside of the "play the youngsters, put some games into them!" approach that seems to be favoured by the majority of St Kilda fans who post on line. The fact is that inexperienced players can often collapse under pressure. With hindsight, we can see that Savage would have been a much better option. However, if Newnes isn't fit for the Dogs, it might be worth playing both Savage and McKenzie, rather than go for yet another less-experienced player in Rice.

Anyway, it's certainly not the end of the world. We could quite easily bounce back against the Dogs. The Swans might have started the season badly due to some injuries, but last season they looked far and away the best team in the comp, and it's easy to forget that their GF loss was a pretty major upset. I reckon that, the way they played yesterday - and have taken a few more of their chances - the Swans would have beaten any of the clubs above us on the table ATM. It's a funny old comp this year: I reckon that the Tigers and the Eagles are not going to be serious contenders by season end, and I'm not too sure about the Cats or the Crows either. But I fancy we'll see the Swans, Dogs and most likely the Giants firing on all four cylinders in the finals. Port and Freo seem to be dark horses as well.
I agree that our fwd line has been poor for most of the year. I also agree that our midfield LATELY has been very good. Wilst I think we got beat in the midfield on Saturday, I thought our mids tried hard and were competitive. I reckon Hanneberry, Kennedy and Lloyd were probably the best 3 players on the ground. Yes we have grunt in the midfield, but we don't have great spread. Ross is getting better at that part of his game and I thought he was our best player on Saturday. Jack Steven provides it in spades, but apart from that we don't have much at all. Dunstan is a plodder for mine, Steele is an inside beast so hard gut running is not his go but he's effective in other ways. Whilst Billings played a good game he spends a lot of time up fwd. We need Gresham to do more when he's around the packs. Quite often what he does do is very good, but we need him to do more. Our delivery into the fwd line isn't great either - that's on the mids. We have rectified the problem of getting the ball, now we need to master the equally as important part of delivering the ball.

The backline have been great all year. In the end they were overwhelmed on Saturday. I like the combination of Carlisle and Brown who are both doing their jobs and doing it well. Buddy got off the leash late, but the game was over by then and as I said, the backline was overwhelmed. I disagree with bringing Savage back in. Surely he's had enough chances over the years. I see it as a step back. He's capable of playing good footy, but he simply can't sustain it. He ALWAYS ends up disappointing. Yes he's a beautiful long kick but his decision making under real pressure is questionable and I don't believe he'll ever take us where we want to go. We've found a player in Webster and that took several years to develop. I'm happy for the club to persevere with Dmac for at least another week despite his poor game on Saturday. Young blokes need to find the tempo and get a bit of confidence.

On Membery, NO WAY would I drop him. He's the only key fwd with a tank that doesn't look like he's running on one leg (Roo) Yes he floats in and out of the game but for pressure and making contests he's integral I believe. Funny thing is I didn't rate him a couple of years ago when he first arrived, but now I see his value. As for Paddy, words can't describe my disappointment with him. I genuinely believe he can't make it, simply because he's not fit enough. He was an absolute liability on Saturday. And this after 3-4 good games in the reserves. Unless they bring in the line across the ground and make a rule that 1/2 doz players from each team must remain behind that line, then I can't see how he can make it. I pray that I'm wrong (and I'm not a religious person) as I couldn't stand thinking that we wasted a #1 draft pick. Having said that I still believe that he HAS to remain this week and possibly again after the bye. He needs to be given every opportunity to prove himself as we simply can't keep playing with the kids confidence. At the end of the year a call may need to be made while he still has currency though.

Cordz2
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
BigMart wrote: Nothing positive from yesterday's debacle IMO
There were some positive things, albeit none of them were entirely new:

1. Our midfield engine room again looked extremely powerful.

2. Billings and Ross had good games yet again. Our top two of elite players (Riewoldt and Steven) is threatening to become a top 4: perhaps even 5, with Roberton.

3. Despite a number of things continuing to go against us - injuries to Newnes and Weller, some questionable calls from the umps and a succession of wasted opportunities inside our forward 50 - we kept hanging in there for a long time: even halfway through the third quarter we still looked like coming back.

4. For the first time since 2011, we are seeing our opponents shaping their game plan to try to counter our strengths. We saw a tag on Roberton for the second week running. We saw the Swans try to minimise stoppages for fear of our strength in the clearances. This is evidence that other teams are starting to take us seriously.
I agree with this - especially point 4. I remember in 2004 after we won 10 in a row, teams started deploying a floating flood against us - which started with a game against Sydney (the famous Riewoldt mark game) which caught us on the hop - same thing the following week. Thommo had to reassess then. In finals teams can't afford to play such tactics as they need to focus on getting momentum rolling and going head to head using their strengths.
Even the best teams can be outcoached early in their generation. We are after all a new team in terms of chemistry of playing together. The team hasn't been together long. We can't expect miracles. This is why coaches are loathe to change the team from week to week. They need a few years of playing together through the ups and downs before developing the resilience required to overcome tactics like the ones used on the weekend. Every now and then a team strikes a hot patch at the right time and snatches one like the dogs last year. That is usually the exception rather than the rule.