Our Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Our Paddy

I know that there are numerous threads on Our Paddy - but ....... [I don't care]

To all the Paddy knockers - please answer me this:

4x plus 3y equals a Potato - solve for Mosaics.

That's right - I have given you some information ie 4x and 3y equals something, but have not defined its relevance to Potato - and what the f@rk is solve for Mosaics,

We know that:
- Paddy has done some good things;
- Has not had a solid run of games at the top level;
- He has had issues; and
- He was a number one pick.

But, we do not know:
- How being dropped to the two's to prove himself;
- Having some good games there;
- Being elevated to the Ones as a 'Great White Hope';
- Pressure of performing; and
- Frustration at receiving what can only be described as crap delivery.
Has affected the kids mind.

I know that:
- He is ours until he goes elsewhere or is delisted;
- He has some talent;
- It is not his fault that we took him at #1
- He is young in age and games played

Criticising him at the moment is like going into a restaurant and telling the waiter to surprise you, and then being pissed that they bought you Lobster when you have a shellfish allergy

Whilst he is ours, we need to do the best for him, and I feel that he needs more games in succession to prove/disprove his worth, but for me, even with the crap that was dished up yesterday, his clear lead late, nice mark in front, and clean kicking shows that we may have one here - the rest of the pieces may fall into place - and excluding Plugger, I do not think any tall forward would have torn the game apart yesterday, given our forward delivery, not even Buddy or Dunstall.

Oh, and just for the record, I am just as frustrated at yesterdays game, but to lay it at the feet of Paddy is ridiculous. There are more experienced player who had stinkers yesterday.
And Paddy may turn out to be a bust - but - at the moment he is ours to mold and strengthen, or to tear down.

Just my 2 cents /end rant

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Re: Our Paddy

I think everyone here wants Paddy to succeed and as I have doubted his talent. I do believe that right now he has issues above the shoulders regarding his career because he could virtually be only one more concussion away from being forced out.
He just needs a break out game for his own confidence and we need him to crash packs for marks and force the ball lose for our small forwards to take advantage of.
Personally, I would have told him not to venture outside of our forward 50 yesterday, the number of times we were forced sideways yesterday not only by Sydney but the fact we had literally no one to kick to beyond the half back line was ridiculous.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:I think everyone here wants Paddy to succeed and as I have doubted his talent. I do believe that right now he has issues above the shoulders regarding his career because he could virtually be only one more concussion away from being forced out.
He just needs a break out game for his own confidence and we need him to crash packs for marks and force the ball lose for our small forwards to take advantage of.
Personally, I would have told him not to venture outside of our forward 50 yesterday, the number of times we were forced sideways yesterday not only by Sydney but the fact we had literally no one to kick to beyond the half back line was ridiculous.
Agree he got sucked up the ground. He looked like a deer in headlights. I want him to succeed also as does everyone, but think he needs a sports psyc

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

In hindsight it wasn't a good game to bring him back. It was always going to be tough against a team we haven't beaten in five years and who, before their lousy start to the season, were regarded as a competition benchmark.

It's a lot to expect of a young key forward to dominate when the side, as a whole, was so comprehensively outplayed. Would Bruce have done any better under the circumstances?

Paddy needs to stay in and Bruce definitely needs to come back in for structural reasons. Membrey stays, too.

Riewoldt needs to go back to wing like last year. There is no future in kick-it-to Nick and we've got to persevere with building a forward line for the future.

Ok, so he's a bit proppy and can't bend as he used to. He can still run, though. That's his strength and always has been. There's a good argument that his knees are going to take more of a battering in the bash and crash of the forward line,
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 21 May 2017 11:29am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:In hindsight it wasn't a good game to bring him back. It was always going to be tough against a team we haven't beaten in five years and who, before their lousy start to the season, were regarded as a competition benchmark.

It's a lot to expect of a young key forward to dominate when the side, as a whole, was so comprehensively outplayed. Would Bruce have done any better under the circumstances?

Paddy needs to stay in and Bruce definitely needs to come back in for structural reasons. Membrey stays, too.

Riewoldt needs to go back to wing like last year. There is no future in kick-it-to Nick and we've got to persevere with building a forward line for the future.
Hear, hear (here, here?). Anyway I hear you right here. McCartin was ordinary yesterday after stepping up from VFL and the whole team struggling to get the flow that it needs to score. And you know what - get ready for more ordinary games from Macca. He's a 20 game power forward still physically evolving and learning his difficult craft. But we've already seen him look fantastic in games too. Doesn't have to be in the firsts all the time but needs to start getting games.

And I agree. The kick-it-to-Nic has to be a thing of the past. The occasional sneak forward should be all ST Nic gets. We have plenty of young forwards who needs space and to start building their chemistry together. You need to shove the responsibility on their shoulders and say "IT's up to you lot now". Means we may not win as many games this year. Meh. It's about the future.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy will be a gun and rest assured I'm going to be reminding the knockers when he gets there. Including reposting some of your comments.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Paddy will be a gun and rest assured I'm going to be reminding the knockers when he gets there. Including reposting some of your comments.
Whose comments? I have been nothing but positive about him!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Paddy will be a gun and rest assured I'm going to be reminding the knockers when he gets there. Including reposting some of your comments.
Whose comments? I have been nothing but positive about him!
Well not yours then.

Razor
Club Player

The talk out of preseason was about how fit paddy was and he was going to be hitting the wings and running back towards goal (membrey interview). He is no where near AFL fitness and has no second effort once the ball hits the ground. The players don't seem to have confidence to kick the ball to him, often gets ignored. Didn't expect to much for his first game back but he would want to do a bit more next week or he will be back in the VFL.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Razor wrote:The talk out of preseason was about how fit paddy was and he was going to be hitting the wings and running back towards goal (membrey interview). He is no where near AFL fitness and has no second effort once the ball hits the ground. The players don't seem to have confidence to kick the ball to him, often gets ignored. Didn't expect to much for his first game back but he would want to do a bit more next week or he will be back in the VFL.
If you put Riewoldt in the same forward line of course he is going to be ignored and that has applied to many players over the years.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Razor wrote:The talk out of preseason was about how fit paddy was and he was going to be hitting the wings and running back towards goal (membrey interview). He is no where near AFL fitness and has no second effort once the ball hits the ground. The players don't seem to have confidence to kick the ball to him, often gets ignored. Didn't expect to much for his first game back but he would want to do a bit more next week or he will be back in the VFL.
At one point yesterday, Joey had the ball on the wing, and paddy was matched up on Zac Jones in the half-forward line, and Joey kicked it sideways instead

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I was right behind him, until yesterday. I definitely want him to succeed, but he needs to work for it...delivery was atrocious and he had few opportunities, but he did very little other than lead a couple times yesterday. As for the timing of his return, bringing him back against a (then) bottom 4 side with a number of underdone stars returning, sounds a lot better than against last year's premiers. It wasn't like it was his debut...tough love. I'm sure he'll be there next week (although I think Bruce would be a better option than a slow moving lead up forward), and his job will be even tougher, I hope he rises to the occasion.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is not allowed to lead by the coach.

Last quarter of the game he was and was also allowed to move up into the midddle. Tesult was that he started to take marks and win more football.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This thread is a joke

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Paddy is not allowed to lead by the coach.

Last quarter of the game he was and was also allowed to move up into the midddle. Tesult was that he started to take marks and win more football.

Really? For what possible reason? That's the stock in trade for all good full forwards since Jesus was a boy.

If he wants someone to crash packs look no further than Josh Bruce.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

He lead twice earlier in the game yesterday...a little too early and couldn't clunk them.

avid
Club Player

If he had held, say, two of his four dropped marks, and kicked goals from them, we'd be on the bandwagon on its way to success.
His marking was remarkably hopeless on the day.
Just like Membrey's was two years ago.
Not saying it's definitely going to work. But time's not up yet by any means.

saints66
Club Player

nobody is criticising the guy in a negative way, to me it looks like people are telling it like it is. The posts are constructive. This is a football forum where people can share ideas, make comments and give opinions.

Paddy needs time, games and needs to work on his fitness and skills. Todays football is unforgiving and players need to be spot on with all these areas or will get chewed up and spat out.

Look at all the recent high draft tall forwards, of them only really Cameron is a natural. Boyd, Patton, Schache, are all still finding their feet and confidence as a forward. Paddy is no different.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Really? For what possible reason? That's the stock in trade for all good full forwards since Jesus was a boy.

If he wants someone to crash packs look no further than Josh Bruce.

Richo's preferred gameplan is to bomb it to a contest in the forward 30. While forwards can lead they have to set up for the bomb as the preferred option. Theory is that the Saints can lock the ball in and score it not marked.

This worked well early in the season, but opposition coaches are now a wake up and set up to counter it. Which they do and we are really hurt by the turnovers now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:I was right behind him, until yesterday. I definitely want him to succeed, but he needs to work for it...delivery was atrocious and he had few opportunities, but he did very little other than lead a couple times yesterday. As for the timing of his return, bringing him back against a (then) bottom 4 side with a number of underdone stars returning, sounds a lot better than against last year's premiers. It wasn't like it was his debut...tough love. I'm sure he'll be there next week (although I think Bruce would be a better option than a slow moving lead up forward), and his job will be even tougher, I hope he rises to the occasion.
+1

I hope he makes it too, but he looked like a country footballer on Saturday. I have serious concerns as to whether he will make it. Just looks like something out of the '60s. A "galloping gasometer", or a Ray Biffin.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
degruch wrote:I was right behind him, until yesterday. I definitely want him to succeed, but he needs to work for it...delivery was atrocious and he had few opportunities, but he did very little other than lead a couple times yesterday. As for the timing of his return, bringing him back against a (then) bottom 4 side with a number of underdone stars returning, sounds a lot better than against last year's premiers. It wasn't like it was his debut...tough love. I'm sure he'll be there next week (although I think Bruce would be a better option than a slow moving lead up forward), and his job will be even tougher, I hope he rises to the occasion.
+1

I hope he makes it too, but he looked like a country footballer on Saturday. I have serious concerns as to whether he will make it. Just looks like something out of the '60s. A "galloping gasometer", or a Ray Biffin.
Needs to hit the Gym young Paddy.
Looks more Hamden League than AFL at present. Just kidding himself if he thinks he is an AFL player right now. Body shape is a long way off.
Right now he is a poor man's Cam McCarthy.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Superboot wrote:
+1

Needs to hit the Gym young Paddy.
Looks more Hamden League than AFL at present. Just kidding himself if he thinks he is an AFL player right now. Body shape is a long way off.
Right now he is a poor man's Cam McCarthy.
Is it his fault, or the club's if he is so out of shape after 3 pre-seasons?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I don't know whose fault it is, but the fact is he looks nowhere near fit enough. I'm comforted to know that trout has assured us that his diabetes has nothing to do with it. My sister in law has been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years, knows a little about footy and has told me that diabetes is debilitating, both physically and mentally. She'd know and she has always managed hers well. She has sympathy for Paddy and reckons he faces an enormous challenge to excel in an elite and brutal sport like AFL. She reckons it's tough enough leading a normal life, let alone what Paddy's doing. Gee, I hope he makes it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Terrible movement of the football into the forward 50 & a couple of dropped marks have nothing to do with fitness. Judge him when the midfield actually kick it to his advantage most of the time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I don't know whose fault it is, but the fact is he looks nowhere near fit enough. I'm comforted to know that trout has assured us that his diabetes has nothing to do with it. My sister in law has been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years, knows a little about footy and has told me that diabetes is debilitating, both physically and mentally. She'd know and she has always managed hers well. She has sympathy for Paddy and reckons he faces an enormous challenge to excel in an elite and brutal sport like AFL. She reckons it's tough enough leading a normal life, let alone what Paddy's doing. Gee, I hope he makes it.
Well if so that's rubbish by recruiters who knew this
We can't gamble in no 1 draft picks and it looks like we have big time
Very disappointed if he doesn't come good
That said, I still have hope he can be the crash pack forward we need - I would leave him in, give him continuity

“Yeah….nah””