Gresham - just 12 touches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

4 kicks, 8 handies. 2 tackles as a pressuring forward. Not nearly good enough Greshmeister.

I know he is one of Richo's fav little bunnies but he seriously needs to be dropped. Is looking flat playing that tough small forward role. Seems to second guess himself nearly every time with his decision making and I think that is confusing his teammates who make space/leads but then he doesn't deliver. Could be working through some little niggles as part of the normal second year blues flat spots.

Needs to be played in the midfield in the VFL to see what he can do and learn that job and get some confidence. We need to see what Lonie can do in the big show again after playing well the last few weeks.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gresham - just 12 touches

Is he shite, if he is, he is not Robinson Crusoe

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Lonie got 21 in the VFL according to official AFL article
I don't think he is the answer as a small forward.

Gresh only got a few touches against Giants, but he can make things happen.
I say keep him in.
We also need Wright back in the team, although he had concussion today

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He kicked 2 of our 10 goals today. What more do you want? He got 12 disposals today, that's his season average. He was not our problem

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:He kicked 2 of our 10 goals today. What more do you want? He got 12 disposals today, that's his season average. He was not our problem
+got tunneled and almost killed himself

In red white and black from 73
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote:
Goose is king wrote:He kicked 2 of our 10 goals today. What more do you want? He got 12 disposals today, that's his season average. He was not our problem
Exactly. It was a bloody great relief he hadn't broken something.

Tried hard, didn't always come off, but gave it a crack.
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Sat 20 May 2017 11:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes stats don't give a true reflection of a player's game.
IMHO Gresham was far from our worst out there today, no matter what the stats say.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gresham was poor

But made the most of a couple of opportunities

How many times has he been caught and tackled in the last fortnight

He needs to take the first option occasionally

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I want him to play permanent forward at the feet of Paddy. He is nowhere near a mid yet!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Sometimes stats don't give a true reflection of a player's game.
IMHO Gresham was far from our worst out there today, no matter what the stats say.
The fact that he was one of our better players with that 12 possie game may be a reflection on how poorly the rest of the team performed. One of the few to take the game on and try create something, if he didn't have the ball in his hands in our F50 he was right next to it all day.

elizabethr
Club Player

Overrated but not the worst

nothing to say
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

12 touches is fine for a small forward, as long as they are making scoreboard impact, which Gresh is.

The negative of Gresham's game was his 1 tackle. That needs to improve if he is going to keep his spot ahead of a more defensive type

mullet
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
Exactly. It was a bloody great relief he hadn't broken something.

Tried hard, didn't always come off, but gave it a crack.
Yep exactly . Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch the game or just look at stats. I thought he was dead after being cleaned up by 3 players

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah and we got cut up the Swans backs and couldn't lock it in our forward half like previously (leaving Bruce out probably hurt that). I just don't see why people are so panicked to give Gresh a go in the VFL to learn the midfield craft. That seems to be what they are grooming him for - give him a crack. We've got a whole squad we need to try out as we could have some tough delisting decisions at the end of the year. Lonie, Wright, Minch, Long, Rice, White - you could even elevate NOK and give him a crack.

It's hilarious everyone is so happy for Paddy to play VFL but Gresh - on no, can't drop him EVER. He gets on the end of things well but is looking a bit flat footed at the moment. A week off to play onball in the VFL wouldn't kill him - in fact would be good for him. Sometimes young players just need a bit of time our of the intense spotlight to digest where they are at and where they need to develop.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Gresham is by far our best small forward. He played a lone hand on Saturday and was the only forward providing any pressure. Any thoughts to drop him are just absurd.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:
I want him to play permanent forward at the feet of Paddy. He is nowhere near a mid yet!
Recall he played in the midfield for a quarter against Port Adelaide in the JLT practice match, and I think he got about 6 or 7 clearances.

Agree he is a dangerous forward, but I reckon he could spend 10 mins in the mid field from time to time, he add's a unique dimension.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Gresham is a class act. Had a quiet day but he wasn't in our bottom 6.

At least he presented himself as one to kick to inside 50. He had to compete time after time against players taller and bigger than him.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: It's hilarious everyone is so happy for Paddy to play VFL but Gresh - on no, can't drop him EVER. He gets on the end of things well but is looking a bit flat footed at the moment. A week off to play onball in the VFL wouldn't kill him - in fact would be good for him. Sometimes young players just need a bit of time our of the intense spotlight to digest where they are at and where they need to develop.
Paddy big forward, Gresham small forward.
Why does the small forward score more goals ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Bluthy wrote: It's hilarious everyone is so happy for Paddy to play VFL but Gresh - on no, can't drop him EVER. He gets on the end of things well but is looking a bit flat footed at the moment. A week off to play onball in the VFL wouldn't kill him - in fact would be good for him. Sometimes young players just need a bit of time our of the intense spotlight to digest where they are at and where they need to develop.

Coz small forwards are chip scabs!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Cos big forwards take a long time to develop. They have to lug huge frames around, get double teamed and have to smack packs hard. Greshy copped a bad one in the air last week. The big forwards cop that several times a game. Gresh gets quite a few goals out the back - good on him for reading the play but you won't get those in finals. And anyway we are meant to be grooming him as good ball using mid we desperately need. We've got Lonie, Long, Minch, NOK, Sincs who can all do a small forward role. Lets give them a go.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The kid is not twenty years old yet. Give him a break! IMHO just as the GWS victory was a complete team effort, saturday's disappointment was a team let-down. NOBODY covered themselves in glory last weekend. Its been, and it's gone. Let the coaches and players work hard this week to put it right. No point whatsoever in looking for scapegoats (unless you want to cite the 22 last saturday)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
philtee
Club Player

You are kidding, right?
Saints punished by fizzing Swans midfield and their well-drilled half back line through the entire afternoon.
Did you see their spreading zone defence ?
Bravo to a small forward who CAN pick up 12 touches.
What if you put Stephen Milne in Gresham's place? He would have done no better.
Delivery into forward line was dreadful. Ill-directed bombs.
Challenge is to burst lines, hit-up forwards with daisy cutters. McCartin can = Dunstall 1989.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SPOT-ON! "Delivery" being the key word! Paddy has been getting some curry on here for his performance last saturday, but honestly? the delivery at times to our forwards was ordinary, to say the elast.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
barneyboyz
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:SPOT-ON! "Delivery" being the key word! Paddy has been getting some curry on here for his performance last saturday, but honestly? the delivery at times to our forwards was ordinary, to say the elast.
If you watch Ross clearing from the centre, he seems to just put foot to ball; needs to find a link player coming of half back/wing. I liken it to what I used to call the Nathan Burke kick (coming out sideways and kicking over his shoulder). There is no knowledge of where it's going and can easily be chopped off.

Ross needs to take a couple of extra steps and be accurate, or use a link player. He has made great improvements this year in getting the ball, just needs to have more composure with it

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
stonecold
SS Life Member

As I stated a couple of weeks back, needs a rest, but will probley play this week given we the bye the week after!!!!!

Most of our players need the rest, carnt come quick enough, just somehow need to find a win against the dogs!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯