We will beat Footusgray!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We will beat Footusgray!

They aren't much chop and we didn't even play after half time.

Chalk it in as a win

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will beat Footusgray!

Unlikely, unless we kick for goal like Geelong did last night. I have seen it about three or four times from the Saints in 57 years - so there's a chance.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

FFS.

Why even put it out there

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
twirlyhair
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:They aren't much chop and we didn't even play after half time.

Chalk it in as a win
Nooooooooo! Don't say that...we only win you say we will lose!

repta
Club Player

Not if we play like we did today. Absolute rubbish. I thought bomb it long to the full forward went out with the 80s

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

How would anyone know week to week whether StKilda will win or lose.

When we compare us with the Dogs we have more holes in our list, however, they do have issues with their list.

Will be an interesting match up next Saturday.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:They aren't much chop and we didn't even play after half time.

Chalk it in as a win
Sydney weren't much chop either...there were about 16 St Kilda players ahead of Hannebery on the Swans best list today.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, we only have to play a touch better than today... and they'd have to all have the flu

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We were OK in the first half - just messy up forward. We played 2 quarters of footy. It would be bizarre if we are rubbish 2 weeks in a row. We bounced back big time after the Cats disaster.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

kiss of death from saintspremiers!
but i agree!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

For much of the game we didn't lack effort or pressure. We just turned the ball over incessantly and could not hit targets to save ourselves.

I don't think we have to reinvent ourselves to beat the Doggies, but the team I saw play last night was a way, way slicker unit.

Always loyal
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. The Dogs have already beaten Sydney and we just got smoked by Sydney.

Our ball use the biggest concern for mine. We move it quick, but turn it over in spades and create a dogs breakfast for our forwards. We'll get away with it against lesser opponents (only just against Carlton), might even get the odd scalp when we play a top eight contender at the right time, but for the most part, quality teams will punish us.

But, even if we lose, we'll be 5-5. Still not too shabby for a tough draw prior to the bye. I thought we would be 2-8.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We do match up better against the Dogs - but if we dispose of the ball like today we are going to lose by the same margin

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
To the top
SS Life Member

The question which will be answered next week is have we learnt and can we respond

Simply we must learn and respond

We had the ball in our hands as much as Sydney did and that allows for Sydney showing far more composure and patience with the ball going back and across

So they manufactured far more disposals than we did

I don't recall us exposing them by causing a player to go to the ball carrier releasing an option because they had to shift responsibility to the ball carrier resulting in a free player over the top - so two on one contests from the back half to the front half

We just couldn't find space - even when we tried to switch we could not find space and we could not find 2 on 1 options

Why not?

I reckon it was our spread of players - individual players did their jobs but were put under pressure because of our spread of players

So we look at those who were not back and across in support and then spreading in support

We were taught a lesson because they had fewer non contributors than we did

They had a ruckman who could actually mark the ball and contribute further than just in the ruck contest

The loss of Newnes was unfortunate - and it cost us in the area of the game we had no cover in

Unfortunately 2 players who could repair us - Hickey and Armitage are out and Freeman is not yet ready

So there are issues - and to me it comes back to selecting players because they are defensive forwards and lock down defenders

Today confirmed that we can not afford to sacrifice to those descriptions - the game has moved on

Everyone has to be dangerous - and we have players who just are not dangerous and we are exploited accordingly

Hence we were exposed today

We just had 16 players playing 22 (including that we lost Newnes)

So we handball defensively not as an attacking, release action and the follow on is we don't out players in space causing someone to leave their man and creating the overlap - and we then bomb forward but we have taken so much time and are under such pressure because we do not create space putting pressure on our forwards because that slowness means they are double teamed - then we have our defensive forwards!

So we learn and we make changes

And we rebound next week because we do have some good players we can build around

The statistics are not normally what I look at but for half a dozen players then today they were a description of a lack of ability to contribute

They were not there in support, as the next link in the possession chain

Sydney had that spread We didn't

Yes there were some howler disposals but it was the pressure because of the missing link that saw hurried and wrong options being resorted to

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Highly doubt it I think we are looking down the barrel of 3 x straight losses after today - Swans 50pts, Dogs 30pts and Crows 80pts. I also thought we would play finals but today showed that the team and Richos coaching havent reached that level just yet.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sorry repeat.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 21 May 2017 1:05am, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

No chance. Probably best anyway. We need high draft picks and a mini rebuild

OUT
richardson
Hamil
- they dont play for em. Why would they? One cant even string sentences together "we we we play played well to today" ffs spit it out and he other one is flying on a rep only.

Dunstan, Weller, McCartin - old school guns but slow - cut loose while can
Reiwoldt Montagna - theyre f****** nearly 40
Take the cash and get some quality in.

IN
J.Kelly
Rockcliff
First round Midfielder
D.Tucker
H.Balic
Z.Jones

elizabethr
Club Player