Mcstake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkev
Club Player

Re: Mcstake

Linton Lodger wrote:Here we go, armchair (probable fat arsed) experts, whom I'm guessing have never played sport at more than a social level, if ever, writing Paddy off again.

K Stevens, DMac, Roberton, Geary, Montagna, Longer, Sinclair, Dunstan & Weller. All of these players had worse games than Paddy. Riewoldt & Membrey were about the same and at best only slightly better.

Our midfield was terrible today, utterly smashed, furthermore the movement of the ball into inside 50 was diabolically bad, I cannot remember one half decent kick into our forward 50, not one! How would you expect a key forward to go in those circumstances? On top of that we came up against the best defence we've faced all year by a mile.

And yet your caning a kid playing his 20th game as a key forward, in a team that was utter crap on the day. In 6 of those 20 games he was injured really early and played no more. He was the Sub in 2 of them. So he's only really played 12 games and never more than 3 in a row. So as a key forward he's a novice.

Now your harping on about him being disabled. Some players take longer to develop the body and engine for AFL football. Jack Steven took 5 or 6 seasons, Armitage about 5 seasons.

The fact that the kid is playing at this level with diabetes is a testament to his extreme courage and sheer mental toughness. And you bozos are writing him off, when you couldn't even fantasise his level of courage and I'm guessing rank as insipid in the mental toughness department.

So sit on your couch with a bag of chips, cake and a big frophy and squeal away. Then on Monday its back to work, ticking boxes and keeping your nose firmly planted between your bosses' cheeks. You ordinary armchair squibs.

Too true. Great respose to the negative lounge lizards. McCartin hits packs hard. He's fearless!!! He will come good.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Trade him while we can still snag a first rounder.

Nee!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but, on what Paddy has shown so far, he is a spud at AFL level.

He may turn out to be a great VFL player, s*** happens. Impossible for recruiters to pick that will be the outcome.

Just means we'll have to re draft to cover for Roo's retirement.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
silverhalo
Club Player

citywest wrote:I reckon we should cut our losses at the end of this season and trade him. If Geelong are prepared to give us a pick in the 20's take it.
+1

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

No Stevens and others showed form early and probably should have been played more early in their careers. My belief with Paddy isn't his ability, I believe it's above the shoulders because of the numerous concussions he's had and other injuries.
If they can't fix that than all he will be is potential and there are plenty of examples throughout the history of football.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 wrote:Sorry, but, on what Paddy has shown so far, he is a spud at AFL level.

He may turn out to be a great VFL player, s*** happens. Impossible for recruiters to pick that will be the outcome.

Just means we'll have to re draft to cover for Roo's retirement.
Forget the fact that he was a Number 1 pick.
Drafting is always a gamble.
Some players get picked very late and end up playing nearly 300 games! where was Lenny picked up?
others are picked at 20 or so with lots of promise, play a few games and disappear.
Like Spencer White at 25.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy looked nervous today. Dropped a few sitters.

A few weeks ago according to the forum Billings was a spud. He's going okay now.

Paddy needs another 30 games before we'll be able to judge him accurately.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Here we go, armchair (probable fat arsed) experts, whom I'm guessing have never played sport at more than a social level, if ever, writing Paddy off again.

K Stevens, DMac, Roberton, Geary, Montagna, Longer, Sinclair, Dunstan & Weller. All of these players had worse games than Paddy. Riewoldt & Membrey were about the same and at best only slightly better.

Our midfield was terrible today, utterly smashed, furthermore the movement of the ball into inside 50 was diabolically bad, I cannot remember one half decent kick into our forward 50, not one! How would you expect a key forward to go in those circumstances? On top of that we came up against the best defence we've faced all year by a mile.

And yet your caning a kid playing his 20th game as a key forward, in a team that was utter crap on the day. In 6 of those 20 games he was injured really early and played no more. He was the Sub in 2 of them. So he's only really played 12 games and never more than 3 in a row. So as a key forward he's a novice.

Now your harping on about him being disabled. Some players take longer to develop the body and engine for AFL football. Jack Steven took 5 or 6 seasons, Armitage about 5 seasons.

The fact that the kid is playing at this level with diabetes is a testament to his extreme courage and sheer mental toughness. And you bozos are writing him off, when you couldn't even fantasise his level of courage and I'm guessing rank as insipid in the mental toughness department.

So sit on your couch with a bag of chips, cake and a big frophy and squeal away. Then on Monday its back to work, ticking boxes and keeping your nose firmly planted between your bosses' cheeks. You ordinary armchair squibs.
Oh how they love the easy targets, LL.

By 3/4 time, the tribe were in furious agreement - McCartin & McKenzie will be the 2 main scapegoats.

The whole performance was one giant heap of crap, from 'brains trust' to on field.

20 minutes into the game v GWS, we knew we were in it.

10 minutes into today's game, we knew we would be lucky to hang on to the lacka band.

Slow to read, slow to react, just generally slow in the mind. Skills? Shithouse, from go to whoa. Effort? What effort? Run? Where to? Set ups? Tripe. Contests? Few and far between. Them 3 up, and still have the 1st 3 when it hit the ground.

We blew it well before today. In short, we started drinking our own bathwater after the GWS result, and failed to recognise what it was that led to that result.

As an example, and the furious agreement went beyond just our tribe, in the Vic Room post game - Nathan Wright played v GWS, had 8 odd forward half tackles, and 5 shots for goal.

Blokes like Wright set the scene - he's no champion, but by f*** he has a crack, and keeps having a crack. He makes it easier for the more talented players.

But, after the best, and only performance of the year, out goes Wright, and back comes....who?....Weller - a one paced, one directional coot who applies little front half pressure - and has a worse conversion rate than Wright. But, hey, he has a man bun, is in the leadership group, and has his own video show!!!

They walked out of our front half today, and that ain't McCartin's fault.

Ah, stuff it, can't be bothered - if they, from top to bottom, keep dishing up the utter rubbish I watched today - FROM THE START - we won't have to worry about who to hang on to, the best will walk.

Unadulterated garbage, and for people to single out a couple of young blokes, so they might vent their spleens, says so much about where the joint is at.

IT STARTS AT THE TOP.

More furious agreement, today?

Never, ever, appoint one of the least skilled footballers on your list AS CAPTAIN!!

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Paddy looked nervous today. Dropped a few sitters.

A few weeks ago according to the forum Billings was a spud. He's going okay now.

Yeah you go from next to nothing in VFL, to 30,000 screaming drunk idiots, would have been puffing hard after ten minutes due to the speed, no space or time, gets very little clean marks. Will be a lot better for the run.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I agree, Paddy doesn't look capable at AFL level, Sandy may have a player, which they need.. :D :D :D

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I fully agree with ToT
(can't quote his post because it contains more words than the Bhagavad Gita)
but it's 3 up the page.

Weller is not deserving of a spot at the moment. I counted at least 14 times where he tried to tackle a Swine and just couldn't even get a fingertip onto them.
He used to be good as a tagger, but they asked him to be a defensive forward, but he is a downhill skier and only shines when the whole team
and tactics is on song.

He can't do the things that an elite player does- he cannot drag the team back into a game with a game-breaking inspirational play.
Never will be that player.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 20 May 2017 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DMac will be ok

Nee!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:DMac will be ok
Agreed. First game back in a high speed/pressure game.

Will be better for the run.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I thought DMac

Beside some errors, he made an impact... defensively and won the footy

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Play McClunken every week unless injured. He is obviously going to be a key pillar in any future success so play him, Bruce and Membrey in the same side. Things may just click for McClunken over a 3 week period and he becomes a gun faster than expected

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Bruce kicked as many as Paddy today playing at Sandy. He also laid a total of one tackle in his past three afl games. He has been struggling for a long time. Since about round 14 2015 if you ask me. Paddy deserved his chance today. Looked really nervous to me.

We have to persist. We have no other option. Boyd, Patton, Schacke, Moore all struggling and inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

citywest wrote:I reckon we should cut our losses at the end of this season and trade him. If Geelong are prepared to give us a pick in the 20's take it.
Gee, you are predictable. You really have no idea, do you?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:

Point taken..... but

Billings, Jack

Rd 6 2014 - 3 goals
Rd 14 2014 - 3 goals, 25 disposals
Rd 6 2015, 4 goals, 22 disposals
Rd 3 2016 - 3 goals, 30 disposals

Billings had still had some HUGE games in his first three seasons......

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

So Grundy went to McCartin with Rampe playing in front then taking Paddy on the lead. First marking attempt by Paddy he was clear choppped and no free.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
citywest

After watching Darcy Moore tonight it makes me realize how far away McCartin really is from AFL level. He was taken at pick 1 but really, he should have been taken in the pick 25 to 35 range.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:After watching Darcy Moore tonight it makes me realize how far away McCartin really is from AFL level. He was taken at pick 1 but really, he should have been taken in the pick 25 to 35 range.
No Frawley or Stratton he was basically playing a VFL back line and took three marks. Hardly a great effort.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_President
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
citywest wrote:After watching Darcy Moore tonight it makes me realize how far away McCartin really is from AFL level. He was taken at pick 1 but really, he should have been taken in the pick 25 to 35 range.
No Frawley or Stratton he was basically playing a VFL back line and took three marks. Hardly a great effort.

Moore wasn't even averaging a goal a game until tonight.

I think he'd kicked 6.7 or something like that.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Some quality stuff in here.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:Delivery into our forwards today was very ordinary.

The only thing that worried me about Paddy early was an apparent lack of pace to a defensive contest. Improved as the game went on.

Will spend plenty of time in the twos and will be better for it, but does need to be given a chance. I have no problem that they played him today, but whether he stays in against the speedy bulldogs is a big ask.

This summer will be a very big pre-season for him.
Agree, but how many pre seasons does he need, has very litttle definition through the arms/shoulders. Not the be all and end all, but normally shows how much work is done in the gym, and combined with diet ???
It's not the muscle issue that concerns me. It's not like he's getting rag-dolled. I want him to spend the pre-season doing whatever the hell can be done to build a tank. He needs to find some kind of short distance speed so he can get some space.

I agree he doesn't look as "cut" as some his age, but I'm not sure that's the problem. And I don't think he's "fat". That really gets my goat when people say that.

I was watching that replay of the Plugger 11 goal game in Sydney last night and he makes Paddy look skeletal (and yes, that was 20 years ago and yes, we expect a whole lot more now ...)
Plugger was fat in his later years but could use his weight well but wow when he was young he could go into the centre and rip the game apart.
Did it against the best South Australia had, pity the rest of the Big V were not interested in the game.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.