Well done Jack N- 100 games

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Well done Jack N- 100 games

Postby saintbrat » Thu 18 May 2017 8:55pm

or Jill :wink:
Leading the Consecutive games for the Current saints

_ Correction- 74 consecutive games- can he continue to chase down Dal ?

Most Consecutive Games
Ian Synman (123)
Stuart Trott (103)
Nick Dal Santo (102)

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/ ... ewnes.html
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 18 May 2017 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly......Contributing to the needs of Saints!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014- 31,134 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83276
Membership 2015 32,746 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87701&hilit=membership+2015
MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89838&p=1585759#p1585759
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Well done Jack N- 100 games

Postby fugazi » Thu 18 May 2017 9:06pm

Quiet achiever notches up 100 games....such a good player with a nice kick.
Well done Newnesy
Nee!
fugazi
SS Hall of Fame

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 18 May 2017 9:10pm

He's a good soldier and solid citizen, Jack #2.
"Gad! This comic's a real page turner. It's thlopping over with gripping suspense." - Daffy Duck (just 'cos he's a duck).
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby saintbrat » Thu 18 May 2017 9:13pm

can someone else check those years stats....
I count 95

but on this interview they say only 74 in a row
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-05- ... -his-100th
StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly......Contributing to the needs of Saints!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014- 31,134 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83276
Membership 2015 32,746 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87701&hilit=membership+2015
MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89838&p=1585759#p1585759
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Postby White Winmar » Thu 18 May 2017 9:14pm

Speaking of consecutive game streaks, remember when Graeme Gellie dropped Joffa after 99 consecutive games? Apparently it was over a discipline issue on the field, which was a bit rich coming in a mid 80's saints team. Joffa was one player who always gave his heart and soul, even if the execution didn't always match the intent. A regular state player and along with Barks, one of the few reasons to go to the footy before Plugger emerged.

Apparently, Joffa threatened to leave, he was so miffed. as Graeme Gellie used to say when he was revving up the team before games, "Be strong, be hard, be like me, my name is..................Gellie!
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 18 May 2017 9:20pm

saintbrat wrote:can someone else check those years stats....
I count 95

This might help, Bratty - http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... ack-NEWNES
"Gad! This comic's a real page turner. It's thlopping over with gripping suspense." - Daffy Duck (just 'cos he's a duck).
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby The OtherThommo » Thu 18 May 2017 9:24pm

White Winmar wrote:Speaking of consecutive game streaks, remember when Graeme Gellie dropped Joffa after 99 consecutive games? Apparently it was over a discipline issue on the field, which was a bit rich coming in a mid 80's saints team. Joffa was one player who always gave his heart and soul, even if the execution didn't always match the intent. A regular state player and along with Barks, one of the few reasons to go to the footy before Plugger emerged.

Apparently, Joffa threatened to leave, he was so miffed. as Graeme Gellie used to say when he was revving up the team before games, "Be strong, be hard, be like me, my name is..................Gellie!

Good that, WW.

I did like the tales of how "Giddyup' dealt with his problematic knee(s) - by putting a bit of wood at the back of his knee, inside the bandage, so the various bits and pieces didn't go out backwards and finish up resting on his calf.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Postby BigMart » Thu 18 May 2017 9:54pm

More than solid... underrated actually.

You don't hear much about him, because not much to complain about... that gap between his best and worst is not much
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Postby SemperFidelis » Thu 18 May 2017 10:03pm

BigMart wrote:More than solid... underrated actually.

You don't hear much about him, because not much to complain about... that gap between his best and worst is not much

I concur. He is really the quiet achiever. He and Seb will be duking it out as the next skipper.
Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Postby kosifantutti » Thu 18 May 2017 10:04pm

saintbrat wrote:can someone else check those years stats....
I count 95

He missed the last game in 2013.
Help Saintsational bring the Saints back to Moorabbin.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92272
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Postby White Winmar » Thu 18 May 2017 10:33pm

The boy has long been touted as captaincy material. He's hardly missed a beat (or game) since his debut. That is a remarkable feat, given he was drafted with a pick in the 30's. A win win trade. Adelaide got Tommy Lynch and we got Jack N. Reliable by hand or foot, sneaks the odd goal, has a cool head and makes good decisions. A real BP. Love the guy and what he brings, week in, week out. An underrated accumulator, who keeps racking up the possessions. If he was the next skipper, I wouldn't be unhappy, although Seb may have something to say about that. Congrats, Jack.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Postby White Winmar » Thu 18 May 2017 10:33pm

The boy has long been touted as captaincy material. He's hardly missed a beat (or game) since his debut. That is a remarkable feat, given he was drafted with a pick in the 30's. A win win trade. Adelaide got Tommy Lynch and we got Jack N. Reliable by hand or foot, sneaks the odd goal, has a cool head and makes good decisions. A real BP. Love the guy and what he brings, week in, week out. An underrated accumulator, who keeps racking up the possessions. If he was the next skipper, I wouldn't be unhappy, although Seb may have something to say about that. Congrats, Jack.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Postby Premium89 » Thu 18 May 2017 11:06pm

Yep outside looking in, I reckon he's got the right mix of class and mongrel to be a good captain.
Well done on the tin.

Also like that after ROOOO and Ba-ROOOOOSE, we can have NEWWWWWNES!
BT already pronounces is "Noons" so the job's half done.
Premium89
Club Player

Postby Sainternist » Thu 18 May 2017 11:22pm

Well Done to Jack B. Nimble-Newnes!
The Saints are looking prettay...prettay...prettay...PRETTY GOOD!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Postby WellardSaint » Fri 19 May 2017 1:36am

My fav moment is a soccer goal against little Viney last year.
That week, Footy Show had shown Viney doing weights, and they called him a "young bull".

Well a coupla days later, we played Dees.
Viney had a mark about 25 out from our goal, tried to play on,
Jill smothered and soccered :mrgreen: :D

He made Viney look like a fumbling fool.
Perfect whack.
The Jiggster has promised to sacrifice a fatted calf and a goat, to the Greek god of war, Ares,
in front of the Brewongal Stand of the SCG
to help the Saints get over the line.
Win or lose, at least he'll have kebabs to feed his hungry horde :mrgreen: :lol:
WellardSaint
SS Life Member

Postby magnifisaint » Fri 19 May 2017 8:56am

Newnes will only get better. 100 is only the start.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Postby Vazelos » Fri 19 May 2017 10:21am

Still has room for improvement to become a better player.
Well done for 100 games!!
Vazelos
Club Player

Postby stonecold » Fri 19 May 2017 10:49am

Well done Jack, 100 of the best Chief!!!!!
'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!
stonecold
Club Player

Postby minneapolis » Fri 19 May 2017 12:39pm

White Winmar wrote:Speaking of consecutive game streaks, remember when Graeme Gellie dropped Joffa after 99 consecutive games? Apparently it was over a discipline issue on the field, which was a bit rich coming in a mid 80's saints team. Joffa was one player who always gave his heart and soul, even if the execution didn't always match the intent. A regular state player and along with Barks, one of the few reasons to go to the footy before Plugger emerged.

Very good indeed.

Love this place.
I am committed to flexibility.
minneapolis
Club Player

Location: Was:Riding an electric scooter around Shenzhen. Now:Peering thru the pollution in Peking.

Postby loris » Fri 19 May 2017 12:58pm

White Winmar wrote:The boy has long been touted as captaincy material. He's hardly missed a beat (or game) since his debut. That is a remarkable feat, given he was drafted with a pick in the 30's. A win win trade. Adelaide got Tommy Lynch and we got Jack N. Reliable by hand or foot, sneaks the odd goal, has a cool head and makes good decisions. A real BP. Love the guy and what he brings, week in, week out. An underrated accumulator, who keeps racking up the possessions. If he was the next skipper, I wouldn't be unhappy, although Seb may have something to say about that. Congrats, Jack.

Yes congrats to Jill.

Don't know if they still do, last season Jack Newnes lived in the same house with Seb Ross and Seb's partner.

They both seem very serious young men. I love listening to any of Seb's interviews, he's a very articulate young man, steers away from cliche responses. Very reflective and expansive with his answers to questions.

I bet Seb's partner has a job getting the conversation at the dinner table away from footy from those two committed young men.

Like you WW, I think it's between those two as our next captain, escpecially if they continue on with the leadership trajectory they are showing plus their upward trend in their footy prowess.

I'd be happy with either to be Saints captain, notwithstanding their footy/leadership skills, I do have a liking for blonde males :P
loris
SS Life Member

Postby Impatient Sainter » Fri 19 May 2017 1:57pm

Congrats Jack you are a quiet champion of the Saints!
Impatient Sainter
Club Player

Jack Newnes - 100 games

Postby the dome » Fri 19 May 2017 2:52pm

That crept up on me.

Well done Jack, that's a fair bit of experience.
the dome
Club Player

Postby saynta » Fri 19 May 2017 3:02pm

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:The boy has long been touted as captaincy material. He's hardly missed a beat (or game) since his debut. That is a remarkable feat, given he was drafted with a pick in the 30's. A win win trade. Adelaide got Tommy Lynch and we got Jack N. Reliable by hand or foot, sneaks the odd goal, has a cool head and makes good decisions. A real BP. Love the guy and what he brings, week in, week out. An underrated accumulator, who keeps racking up the possessions. If he was the next skipper, I wouldn't be unhappy, although Seb may have something to say about that. Congrats, Jack.

Yes congrats to Jill.

Don't know if they still do, last season Jack Newnes lived in the same house with Seb Ross and Seb's partner.

They both seem very serious young men. I love listening to any of Seb's interviews, he's a very articulate young man, steers away from cliche responses. Very reflective and expansive with his answers to questions.

I bet Seb's partner has a job getting the conversation at the dinner table away from footy from those two committed young men.

Like you WW, I think it's between those two as our next captain, escpecially if they continue on with the leadership trajectory they are showing plus their upward trend in their footy prowess.

I'd be happy with either to be Saints captain, notwithstanding their footy/leadership skills, I do have a liking for blonde males :P

Interesting to know. I was blonde once. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: All grey now, although I still have a full head of hair. :D
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Postby Spud » Fri 19 May 2017 9:04pm

Good on you Jack, congratulations on a very consistent 100 games! I was chatting to his dad today and I mentioned his 74 game unbroken streak, how durable he has been and how it was the 11th best in the afl of the current crop.
Spud
Club Player

Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Postby mr six o'clock » Fri 19 May 2017 9:17pm

He is mr consistency.
Most opposition fans wouldn't know who he is.
Would be great if he became an a grade player.
Hopefully when he plays his 200th it will be 174 in a row with 2 or 3 flags under his belt
In red white and black from 73
mr six o'clock
SS Life Member

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)