Official Team vs Sydney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Official Team vs Sydney

Saints rolling the dice on McCartin getting 4 kicks, 2 marks and 1 tackle... I think that's worth a shot.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't like it...

Am happy for Paddy but Bruce is a huge out... I reckon he's playing better than he has been given credit for. Super hard worker.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

if we beat Swines by 12 points
and the Bulldogs beat Cats 30 points,
we go to 4th, above Bulldogs. just by 0.1% :shock:

Do we dare to dream
Last edited by WellardSaint on Thu 18 May 2017 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Kennedy's the key, I reckon - he's their engine.

Which earns him the right to get up close and personal with Koby Stephens around the ball.

OTOH, our key is Jack #1 - we have to allow him to get off the chain, because they don't have one of him.

So, Grundy takes Paddy, Rampe takes Membrey, and that leaves a 50+ 2015 Rookie selection, Pelican, sorry, Melican, to take the old Roo. Rampe might go to Roo, of course, but they don't have too many alternatives for Membrey, in that case, bar Pelican, sorry, Melican.

They have their fair share of pygmies which, for mine, means we get Acres to push hard forward more.

The other end looks OK, bar the loss of Jimmy, but DMac offers something a bit different. They'll let Franklin go when he heads up the ground (yeah, I know, that's not revolutionary), Brown will take the big closest to goal, and Big Jake will play old style CHB (like he did v GWS), and have them think about making him work.

Heeney their best footballer forward (other than Franklin), so will need work.

Billy needs to smash into Sinclair and Tippett at centre bounces, right from the start, to set the scene.

If we can get our fair share of mid field ball, I see enough weaknesses for us to exploit - if we use the ball well.

Ergo, I come back to where I started - Kennedy's the key.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I don't like it...

Am happy for Paddy but Bruce is a huge out... I reckon he's playing better than he has been given credit for. Super hard worker.
He is, no doubt, s, but a lot of that hard work has seen not enough separation b/w the forwards, and too many opponents being dragged to form pack contests.

We need more cohesion b/w the bigger forwards to create more space, provide options and make defenders think twice about whether they go or stay.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Kennedy's the key, I reckon - he's their engine.

Which earns him the right to get up close and personal with Koby Stephens around the ball.

OTOH, our key is Jack #1 - we have to allow him to get off the chain, because they don't have one of him.

So, Grundy takes Paddy, Rampe takes Membrey, and that leaves a 50+ 2015 Rookie selection, Pelican, sorry, Melican, to take the old Roo. Rampe might go to Roo, of course, but they don't have too many alternatives for Membrey, in that case, bar Pelican, sorry, Melican.

<edited for brevity>

Kennedy had 27 touches to half-time :shock: last week, so yeah, we need our Koby to beat him like a cake mix;
Koby is our best option there, because Dunstan looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Our Jack #1 (jumper #3) will be worked over, because Swines are filthy snipers like the Bombers of old.
Worried about him.

Rampe - 100 games, so Skunk would know how he plays, and I hope he can remember that, very important. Certainly video reviews would prompt his Membrey oops memory

We get lots of f50 entries but little return. Paddy marking in square should increase our efficiency,
against Swines, we need to hurt em on the scoreboard

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
shrodes
SS Life Member

Reckon Koby might swing forward at times? Has played at half forward with the Dogs.

Imagine Mav and Koby down forward enforcing with McClunkin smashing packs. Better hope the Swans brought some extra pairs of shorts.

#gosaintas
Club Player

PremiershipSaint wrote:Dunstan's stats were ok but he had no impact. Don't know what Richo sees in him.
I so agree with this. No influence whatsoever.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Reckon Koby might swing forward at times? Has played at half forward with the Dogs.

Imagine Mav and Koby down forward enforcing with McClunkin smashing packs. Better hope the Swans brought some extra pairs of shorts.
He will, s, even if given Kennedy - that's how he plays - make the other guy defend when we've got the pill..

But, I want him to have 1st crack at Kennedy - he's mid 20's, physically powerful, which you have to be against Kennedy, and seems a sound decision maker.

The other option is Steele, but with far less experience I'd prefer him not to be given the Kennedy burden 1st up.

In case you can't tell, I really rate Kennedy.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
PremiershipSaint wrote:Dunstan's stats were ok but he had no impact. Don't know what Richo sees in him.
Post game in the Victory Room, the tribe's consensus was pretty much the same.

But, then I watched the replay, and he did have more impact than we initially thought. He made a couple of errors late, but he had mates. On the plus side, and Marto was right when he pointed this out prior to Dunstan getting dropped, he did have 28, which surpassed his prior average of 16 odd by some distance.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Really think this is a mistake, I just hope it's a bit of a wake up for Brucey but we will miss his massive tank and contesting.
Bruce is overdue for a spell, hope he finds form at Sandy.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Kennedy's the key, I reckon - he's their engine.

<edited for brevity>

Kennedy had 27 touches to half-time :shock: last week, so yeah, we need our Koby to beat him like a cake mix;
Koby is our best option there, because Dunstan looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Our Jack #1 (jumper #3) will be worked over, because Swines are filthy snipers like the Bombers of old.
Worried about him.

Rampe - 100 games, so Skunk would know how he plays, and I hope he can remember that, very important. Certainly video reviews would prompt his Membrey oops memory

We get lots of f50 entries but little return. Paddy marking in square should increase our efficiency,
against Swines, we need to hurt em on the scoreboard
Koby getting somewhere around a chop out would do, WS.

Jack #1 is pretty robust - evidenced by his contested ball numbers.

And, as our midfield depth grows, we should take more opportunity to frighten the bejesus out of opposition coaches' boxes and defences, by sending him forward more often.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Post game in the Victory Room, the tribe's consensus was pretty much the same.

But, then I watched the replay, and he did have more impact than we initially thought. He made a couple of errors late, but he had mates. On the plus side, and Marto was right when he pointed this out prior to Dunstan getting dropped, he did have 28, which surpassed his prior average of 16 odd by some distance.
I agree ToT. At the game I thought he'd have a rest this week, but on review I thought unlikely. Disposal efficiency was ordinary last week (or, put another way, clangers were higher than desired), but if he can improve on that this week I won't be complaining.

Always loyal
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

What's the chance of a late change? Roo out for Bruce?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote:
fugazi wrote:Really think this is a mistake, I just hope it's a bit of a wake up for Brucey but we will miss his massive tank and contesting.
Bruce is overdue for a spell, hope he finds form at Sandy.
This. Love Baroose. If he could stick a couple more each match he would never, ever be dropped

Always loyal
shrodes
SS Life Member

Will be Bruce's first game at VFL level since round 17, 2014. He had only just started playing as a forward too, after switching from defence.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

No impact? How was that measured?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bruce stiff IMO. Not kicking a lot of goals or clunking many marks, but no one contests harder in breaking up packs and putting his body on the line.

I wanted Paddy, Bruce and Membrey in the same forward line, which we did successfully a number of times towards the end of 2016.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Bruce stiff IMO. Not kicking a lot of goals or clunking many marks, but no one contests harder in breaking up packs and putting his body on the line.

I wanted Paddy, Bruce and Membrey in the same forward line, which we did successfully a number of times towards the end of 2016.
For that to happen then Rooey has to play midfield which his knee will not currently let him.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Definitely backing Richo on this. Bruce is well off his 2015 form so a stint in the twos is warranted. I also like the fact that our coaching team has the courage to make statements. McCartin deserves his shot. Let's give him a few weeks to stamp his mark.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

DownAtTheJunction wrote:Definitely backing Richo on this. Bruce is well off his 2015 form so a stint in the twos is warranted. I also like the fact that our coaching team has the courage to make statements. McCartin deserves his shot. Let's give him a few weeks to stamp his mark.
The coaches are teaching our forwards to go for a mark with "flat hands" as mentioned by Johnny Member (I think)
so they don't get outmarked. They are instructed to bring the ball to ground for Gresh, Weller, Wright, etc to swoop.
Not Bwoose fault, he should be allowed to go for a mark just like we've been taught since we were kids.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
DownAtTheJunction wrote:Definitely backing Richo on this. Bruce is well off his 2015 form so a stint in the twos is warranted. I also like the fact that our coaching team has the courage to make statements. McCartin deserves his shot. Let's give him a few weeks to stamp his mark.
The coaches are teaching our forwards to go for a mark with "flat hands" as mentioned by Johnny Member (I think)
so they don't get outmarked. They are instructed to bring the ball to ground for Gresh, Weller, Wright, etc to swoop.
Not Bwoose fault, he should be allowed to go for a mark just like we've been taught since we were kids.
I can't really comment on whether the coaches are giving instructions re. 'flat hands' to avoid being outmarked. Clearly though Membrey (21marks in last 3 games), Riewoldt (17 marks in last 3 games) and Carlisle (22 marks in last 3 games) are still able to grab significant numbers.
Last edited by DownAtTheJunction on Thu 18 May 2017 11:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Bruce stiff IMO. Not kicking a lot of goals or clunking many marks, but no one contests harder in breaking up packs and putting his body on the line.

For that to happen then Rooey has to play midfield which his knee will not currently let him.
I don't know about that. ToT made a very good point elsewhere that he's probably doing more damage to his knees doing heavy body work in the forward line than running around on a wing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am shocked. Bruce goal kicking down but he puts in a mountain of work imo. Tackles hard and runs all day.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am shocked. Bruce goal kicking down but he puts in a mountain of work imo. Tackles hard and runs all day.
He's no Rhys Stanley.