Rowan Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rowan Marshall

Saw this bloke first at an open training session... thought he moved well for a tall, really impressed by his kicking

Then the intra club, where I thought he was the most impressive forward on the ground

Then the Practice Matches for Sandy, where he kicked bags of 5, 4, 3 and was dominating as a key forward

Then his performances in the Sandy games so far, in occasionally real poor conditions for a key forward that tall. He has been outstanding in partnership with McCartin... nearly his equal as a forward, of course has the size to ruck if needed. He has played high and low, gets 12-18 touches a game and kicks 2-3 a game, and consistently plays well.

What's impressive
Skill level for a guy so tall, and can play that coveted fwd/relief ruck
Running ability/mobility for a 200cm... Stanley was a fast runner, didn't play fast, didn't really know where to run, Marshall is more in the Hickey mobile mould, knows where to run and how to use his mobility

He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rowan Marshall

I've only seen him play twice, BM and I have to agree with your assessment. He finished third in North Ballarat's B and F last year and at 21 years of age, still has lots of improvement left in him. He moves well, has very strong hands overhead and is a very reliable set shot, something we desperately need. He's very mobile for his size and is versatile enough to play a KP or in the ruck. He may be the solution to our "Do we play two ruckmen" dilemma.

I wonder how he slipped through successive drafts and what any knocks on him are. Sometimes you can just tell by watching someone briefly, that they've "got it". He is such a player. So is Gresh, despite his short stature and Clayton Oliver, despite being a chubby little tunter in his junior days. We could have landed a steal with Rowan.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
#gosaintas
Club Player

Do they give him a run this year and if so, how do we fit all these talls in?
HAve also liked what I've seen at Sandy ans in the pre-season games.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Seems like someone we could bring in for Bruce to give him a spell.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What is his leap like?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops
Agree.

This guy is exciting.

He just looks like a footballer. Things look easy for him. He like some of the better players just has "poise".

Marks very well and when he has a shot on goal he just goes backs and slots it.

Disappears at times, but that is probably fitness related. As he builds his tank he will stay in the game more. This will also help to improve the defensive side of his game that all players must have these days. That he played CHB reportedly quite well last year shows that he is a very well rounded player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Saw this bloke first at an open training session... thought he moved well for a tall, really impressed by his kicking

Then the intra club, where I thought he was the most impressive forward on the ground

Then the Practice Matches for Sandy, where he kicked bags of 5, 4, 3 and was dominating as a key forward

Then his performances in the Sandy games so far, in occasionally real poor conditions for a key forward that tall. He has been outstanding in partnership with McCartin... nearly his equal as a forward, of course has the size to ruck if needed. He has played high and low, gets 12-18 touches a game and kicks 2-3 a game, and consistently plays well.

What's impressive
Running ability/mobility for a 200cm... Stanley was a fast runner, didn't play fast, didn't really know where to run, Marshall is more in the Hickey mobile mould, knows where to run and how to use his mobility

He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops

Agreed. I've seen Rohan play live now three times. Funnily enough - when I was watching Kruezer rip Longer a new one last Saturday - I kept thinking how it would be great if Marshall was in our side as he could have been a weapon for us (instead of dead useless as Longer is unless there is a stoppage).

Go you red, black & white warriors
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Should be promoted for Armo and given a taste of AFL. It is not as though Josh is playing so well he is irreplaceable in the side, in fact a taste of the twos might be what he needs.

Wombat15
Club Player

So Position wise in our 22.
Can we operate with; Longer ruck, Roo predominantly on the Wing and around the ground, Bruce and Members as the Two link up forwards then Have Paddys Paddock in the 50.
Then From there you have Marshall rotating with the Forwards and Longer off the bench? Just my thinking is we have a pretty versatile forward line due to the workrates Bruce, Membrey and Roo can provide.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:So Position wise in our 22.
Can we operate with; Longer ruck, Roo predominantly on the Wing and around the ground, Bruce and Members as the Two link up forwards then Have Paddys Paddock in the 50.
Then From there you have Marshall rotating with the Forwards and Longer off the bench? Just my thinking is we have a pretty versatile forward line due to the workrates Bruce, Membrey and Roo can provide.
If you mean all of Longer, Marshall, Roo, Bruce, Paddy and the smaller Membrey (at 188 he is not really that tall by today's standards) in the one team, then that is a lot of height in the one team, even if Roo does play wing, which may make us too cumbersome and lack the ability to really pressure in the forward half.

While he may come on earlier, I think Marshall would more be coming on post-Roo. This season he probably lacks the aerobic capacity.

Once fit enough he may compete with Bruce. That is assuming that Paddy keeps improving and getting fitter.

Paddy just turned 21 and Marshall is 5 months older.

ace
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Should be promoted for Armo and given a taste of AFL. It is not as though Josh is playing so well he is irreplaceable in the side, in fact a taste of the twos might be what he needs.
I don't think we need a long term injured to upgrade Marshall.
With the retirement of Dempster we only have 39 on our senior list and he could be used as a nominated rookie.
It is like Dempster is long term injured by concussion.
However the club won't fill that place until the day they want to use Marshall.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Not ready yet, project player!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: However the club won't fill that place until the day they want to use Marshall.
Or another rookie.

jackstevo
Club Player

I don't know how he fits into the side baring injury or loss of form. It seems from the outside we didn't want Bruce and McCartin to play together so they were just waiting for one to be in form and the other out of form. It would take that again for Marshall to play. The second ruck thing doesn't matter. Clubs now use anyone as a second ruck because they just don't rate hit outs.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a player...we should have a very good forward line

Nee!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jackstevo wrote:I don't know how he fits into the side baring injury or loss of form. It seems from the outside we didn't want Bruce and McCartin to play together so they were just waiting for one to be in form and the other out of form. It would take that again for Marshall to play. The second ruck thing doesn't matter. Clubs now use anyone as a second ruck because they just don't rate hit outs.
Plugsie, what changes do you anticipate tonight?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not saying he should be picked now, in the next 4 weeks or even this year... but ultimately will end up a good player... that's what I am saying...

shrodes
SS Life Member

I hope the club gives him at least a game at senior level this year. Reward for effort. Hard to fault a big bloke averaging 2+ goals a game in his first year with a new club. Don't think we've even seen him ruck properly yet. So much upside.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

His recruitment, his potential versatility and his performance so far has been a boon for our list management. Our bargaining power come trade and draft time in the near future, while we climb the ladder and team ranking lists puts us in an eviable position. Even when we take Roo out of the equation we have 3 tradable, capable tap ruckmen, 2 genuine goal kicking tall forwards and 2 encouraging developing ruck forwards around 200cm and then we have Carlisle and Brown with Goddard in reserve down back.
Brilliant recruiting and list management.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:His recruitment, his potential versatility and his performance so far has been a boon for our list management. Our bargaining power come trade and draft time in the near future, while we climb the ladder and team ranking lists puts us in an eviable position. Even when we take Roo out of the equation we have 3 tradable, capable tap ruckmen,

3 tradable, capable tap ruckmen ??

Hickey and Longer yes.

Pierce? Would currently have very little and probably no trade value.

Holmes. Has no trade value.

citywest

BigMart wrote:Saw this bloke first at an open training session... thought he moved well for a tall, really impressed by his kicking

What's impressive

This is what I hear all the time about late draft picks / rookie picks. Do you really believe that BM or is it more wishful thinking?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Rowan chats about beginning his AFL career and changes he has needed to make
from about half way through the podcast.

has put on weight, moved to the forward line, learnt how to eat well and still studying

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What is his leap like?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

May get a game ahead of Bruce if he impresses more (than Bruce) at VFL level.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:What is his leap like?
Good leap, strong hands, reliable kick for goal. Probably needs more time to get us body up to AFL level. He's gained 13 kgs this year so he's well on his way. Far more impressive than Paddy in the two VFL games I've seen them play in together. If they were both to make it, it would be woo hoo time!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!