Rowan Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rowan Marshall

Postby BigMart » Thu 18 May 2017 9:56am

Saw this bloke first at an open training session... thought he moved well for a tall, really impressed by his kicking

Then the intra club, where I thought he was the most impressive forward on the ground

Then the Practice Matches for Sandy, where he kicked bags of 5, 4, 3 and was dominating as a key forward

Then his performances in the Sandy games so far, in occasionally real poor conditions for a key forward that tall. He has been outstanding in partnership with McCartin... nearly his equal as a forward, of course has the size to ruck if needed. He has played high and low, gets 12-18 touches a game and kicks 2-3 a game, and consistently plays well.

What's impressive
Skill level for a guy so tall, and can play that coveted fwd/relief ruck
Running ability/mobility for a 200cm... Stanley was a fast runner, didn't play fast, didn't really know where to run, Marshall is more in the Hickey mobile mould, knows where to run and how to use his mobility

He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops
BigMart
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 13622
Joined: Sat 22 Mar 2008 6:06pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby White Winmar » Thu 18 May 2017 10:21am

I've only seen him play twice, BM and I have to agree with your assessment. He finished third in North Ballarat's B and F last year and at 21 years of age, still has lots of improvement left in him. He moves well, has very strong hands overhead and is a very reliable set shot, something we desperately need. He's very mobile for his size and is versatile enough to play a KP or in the ruck. He may be the solution to our "Do we play two ruckmen" dilemma.

I wonder how he slipped through successive drafts and what any knocks on him are. Sometimes you can just tell by watching someone briefly, that they've "got it". He is such a player. So is Gresh, despite his short stature and Clayton Oliver, despite being a chubby little tunter in his junior days. We could have landed a steal with Rowan.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby #gosaintas » Thu 18 May 2017 10:26am

Do they give him a run this year and if so, how do we fit all these talls in?
HAve also liked what I've seen at Sandy ans in the pre-season games.
#gosaintas
Club Player
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu 22 Sep 2011 9:58am

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby Otiman » Thu 18 May 2017 10:30am

Seems like someone we could bring in for Bruce to give him a spell.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5516
Joined: Thu 28 Jul 2005 11:09pm
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby Con Gorozidis » Thu 18 May 2017 11:01am

What is his leap like?
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22220
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby saintsRrising » Thu 18 May 2017 11:35am

BigMart wrote:He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops


Agree.

This guy is exciting.

He just looks like a footballer. Things look easy for him. He like some of the better players just has "poise".

Marks very well and when he has a shot on goal he just goes backs and slots it.

Disappears at times, but that is probably fitness related. As he builds his tank he will stay in the game more. This will also help to improve the defensive side of his game that all players must have these days. That he played CHB reportedly quite well last year shows that he is a very well rounded player.
Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
User avatar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 26417
Joined: Mon 15 Mar 2004 11:07am
Location: Off to St Kilda Scotland in 2018

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby Saintmatt » Thu 18 May 2017 12:20pm

BigMart wrote:Saw this bloke first at an open training session... thought he moved well for a tall, really impressed by his kicking

Then the intra club, where I thought he was the most impressive forward on the ground

Then the Practice Matches for Sandy, where he kicked bags of 5, 4, 3 and was dominating as a key forward

Then his performances in the Sandy games so far, in occasionally real poor conditions for a key forward that tall. He has been outstanding in partnership with McCartin... nearly his equal as a forward, of course has the size to ruck if needed. He has played high and low, gets 12-18 touches a game and kicks 2-3 a game, and consistently plays well.

What's impressive
Skill level for a guy so tall, and can play that coveted fwd/relief ruck
Running ability/mobility for a 200cm... Stanley was a fast runner, didn't play fast, didn't really know where to run, Marshall is more in the Hickey mobile mould, knows where to run and how to use his mobility

He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops



Agreed. I've seen Rohan play live now three times. Funnily enough - when I was watching Kruezer rip Longer a new one last Saturday - I kept thinking how it would be great if Marshall was in our side as he could have been a weapon for us (instead of dead useless as Longer is unless there is a stoppage).
Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
Club Player
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2012 4:57pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby borderbarry » Thu 18 May 2017 12:49pm

Should be promoted for Armo and given a taste of AFL. It is not as though Josh is playing so well he is irreplaceable in the side, in fact a taste of the twos might be what he needs.
User avatar
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:22pm
Location: Wodonga

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby Wombat15 » Thu 18 May 2017 1:46pm

So Position wise in our 22.
Can we operate with; Longer ruck, Roo predominantly on the Wing and around the ground, Bruce and Members as the Two link up forwards then Have Paddys Paddock in the 50.
Then From there you have Marshall rotating with the Forwards and Longer off the bench? Just my thinking is we have a pretty versatile forward line due to the workrates Bruce, Membrey and Roo can provide.
Wombat15
Club Player
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed 21 Oct 2015 4:21pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby saintsRrising » Thu 18 May 2017 2:11pm

Wombat15 wrote:So Position wise in our 22.
Can we operate with; Longer ruck, Roo predominantly on the Wing and around the ground, Bruce and Members as the Two link up forwards then Have Paddys Paddock in the 50.
Then From there you have Marshall rotating with the Forwards and Longer off the bench? Just my thinking is we have a pretty versatile forward line due to the workrates Bruce, Membrey and Roo can provide.


If you mean all of Longer, Marshall, Roo, Bruce, Paddy and the smaller Membrey (at 188 he is not really that tall by today's standards) in the one team, then that is a lot of height in the one team, even if Roo does play wing, which may make us too cumbersome and lack the ability to really pressure in the forward half.


While he may come on earlier, I think Marshall would more be coming on post-Roo. This season he probably lacks the aerobic capacity.

Once fit enough he may compete with Bruce. That is assuming that Paddy keeps improving and getting fitter.

Paddy just turned 21 and Marshall is 5 months older.
Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
User avatar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 26417
Joined: Mon 15 Mar 2004 11:07am
Location: Off to St Kilda Scotland in 2018

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby ace » Thu 18 May 2017 3:45pm

borderbarry wrote:Should be promoted for Armo and given a taste of AFL. It is not as though Josh is playing so well he is irreplaceable in the side, in fact a taste of the twos might be what he needs.

I don't think we need a long term injured to upgrade Marshall.
With the retirement of Dempster we only have 39 on our senior list and he could be used as a nominated rookie.
It is like Dempster is long term injured by concussion.
However the club won't fill that place until the day they want to use Marshall.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6507
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby stonecold » Thu 18 May 2017 3:53pm

Not ready yet, project player!!!!!
'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!
stonecold
Club Player
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu 24 Sep 2015 3:12pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby saintsRrising » Thu 18 May 2017 4:10pm

ace wrote:However the club won't fill that place until the day they want to use Marshall.
Or another rookie.
Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
User avatar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 26417
Joined: Mon 15 Mar 2004 11:07am
Location: Off to St Kilda Scotland in 2018

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby jackstevo » Thu 18 May 2017 4:35pm

I don't know how he fits into the side baring injury or loss of form. It seems from the outside we didn't want Bruce and McCartin to play together so they were just waiting for one to be in form and the other out of form. It would take that again for Marshall to play. The second ruck thing doesn't matter. Clubs now use anyone as a second ruck because they just don't rate hit outs.
jackstevo
Club Player
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue 02 May 2017 7:28pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby fugazi » Thu 18 May 2017 5:12pm

Sounds like a player...we should have a very good forward line
Nee!
fugazi
SS Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu 25 Mar 2004 2:47pm
Location: incarnate

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby saintspremiers » Thu 18 May 2017 5:47pm

jackstevo wrote:I don't know how he fits into the side baring injury or loss of form. It seems from the outside we didn't want Bruce and McCartin to play together so they were just waiting for one to be in form and the other out of form. It would take that again for Marshall to play. The second ruck thing doesn't matter. Clubs now use anyone as a second ruck because they just don't rate hit outs.


Plugsie, what changes do you anticipate tonight?
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23369
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby BigMart » Thu 18 May 2017 7:31pm

Not saying he should be picked now, in the next 4 weeks or even this year... but ultimately will end up a good player... that's what I am saying...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 13622
Joined: Sat 22 Mar 2008 6:06pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby shrodes » Thu 18 May 2017 8:42pm

I hope the club gives him at least a game at senior level this year. Reward for effort. Hard to fault a big bloke averaging 2+ goals a game in his first year with a new club. Don't think we've even seen him ruck properly yet. So much upside.
User avatar
shrodes
Club Player
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue 12 Aug 2014 2:34pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby CQ SAINT » Sat 20 May 2017 9:22am

His recruitment, his potential versatility and his performance so far has been a boon for our list management. Our bargaining power come trade and draft time in the near future, while we climb the ladder and team ranking lists puts us in an eviable position. Even when we take Roo out of the equation we have 3 tradable, capable tap ruckmen, 2 genuine goal kicking tall forwards and 2 encouraging developing ruck forwards around 200cm and then we have Carlisle and Brown with Goddard in reserve down back.
Brilliant recruiting and list management.
CQ SAINT
Club Player
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat 12 Sep 2015 1:03pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby saintsRrising » Sat 20 May 2017 10:49am

CQ SAINT wrote:His recruitment, his potential versatility and his performance so far has been a boon for our list management. Our bargaining power come trade and draft time in the near future, while we climb the ladder and team ranking lists puts us in an eviable position. Even when we take Roo out of the equation we have 3 tradable, capable tap ruckmen,




3 tradable, capable tap ruckmen ??

Hickey and Longer yes.

Pierce? Would currently have very little and probably no trade value.

Holmes. Has no trade value.
Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
User avatar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 26417
Joined: Mon 15 Mar 2004 11:07am
Location: Off to St Kilda Scotland in 2018

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby citywest » Sat 20 May 2017 11:53am

BigMart wrote:Saw this bloke first at an open training session... thought he moved well for a tall, really impressed by his kicking

Then the intra club, where I thought he was the most impressive forward on the ground

Then the Practice Matches for Sandy, where he kicked bags of 5, 4, 3 and was dominating as a key forward

Then his performances in the Sandy games so far, in occasionally real poor conditions for a key forward that tall. He has been outstanding in partnership with McCartin... nearly his equal as a forward, of course has the size to ruck if needed. He has played high and low, gets 12-18 touches a game and kicks 2-3 a game, and consistently plays well.

What's impressive
Skill level for a guy so tall, and can play that coveted fwd/relief ruck
Running ability/mobility for a 200cm... Stanley was a fast runner, didn't play fast, didn't really know where to run, Marshall is more in the Hickey mobile mould, knows where to run and how to use his mobility

He is a year older, he is still building his body, but I think this bloke will be one of our best bargain pick ups when he develops

This is what I hear all the time about late draft picks / rookie picks. Do you really believe that BM or is it more wishful thinking?
citywest
 

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby saintbrat » Thu 25 May 2017 11:04pm

Rowan chats about beginning his AFL career and changes he has needed to make
from about half way through the podcast.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5954845-ep7 ... rs-podcast

has put on weight, moved to the forward line, learnt how to eat well and still studying
StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly......Contributing to the needs of Saints!!
Image
MEMBERSHIP 2014- 31,134 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83276
Membership 2015 32,746 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87701&hilit=membership+2015
MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89838&p=1585759#p1585759
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91699
User avatar
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 43570
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 4:11pm
Location: saints zone

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby Con Gorozidis » Thu 25 May 2017 11:11pm

What is his leap like?
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22220
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby Otiman » Thu 25 May 2017 11:24pm

May get a game ahead of Bruce if he impresses more (than Bruce) at VFL level.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5516
Joined: Thu 28 Jul 2005 11:09pm
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Rowan Marshall

Postby White Winmar » Fri 26 May 2017 12:26am

Con Gorozidis wrote:What is his leap like?

Good leap, strong hands, reliable kick for goal. Probably needs more time to get us body up to AFL level. He's gained 13 kgs this year so he's well on his way. Far more impressive than Paddy in the two VFL games I've seen them play in together. If they were both to make it, it would be woo hoo time!
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Next

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bergsone, Bing [Bot], diddley, Google [Bot], Joey, sainter104, saynta, Selhurst Saint, St Chris, Wayno and 51 guests