Another poor crowd....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Another poor crowd....

Only 38K yesterday. 47K last year for our home game against them also on a Saturday afternoon.

Surely we should've got 40K+ given both teams had won their last 2 games.

Tigers/Freo on Mother's Day 1.10pm slot got 31K for comparison.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Another poor crowd....

saintspremiers wrote:Only 38K yesterday. 47K last year for our home game against them also on a Saturday afternoon.

Didn't we play them over queen's birthday weekend on the Sunday last year?

I was kinda expecting 42-43k. We're right on 40k members now... which I think is pretty great from where the club was 2 seasons ago. They've got to all start showing up soon. Cheer squad looks great. Loving the new flags.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Only 38K yesterday. 47K last year for our home game against them also on a Saturday afternoon.

I was kinda expecting 42-43k. We're right on 40k members now... which I think is pretty great from where the club was 2 seasons ago. They've got to all start showing up soon. Cheer squad looks great. Loving the new flags.
Excuse my ignorance but what difference (financial) does it make to the club if members don't attend games?
Haven't they already paid or do clubs get some sort of kick-backs from grog and food sales?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what difference (financial) does it make to the club if members don't attend games?
Haven't they already paid or do clubs get some sort of kick-backs from grog and food sales?
For one, we get to read all of their misguided, disjointed opinions. And, they still call themselves supporters.

The ratio of Carlton "away" supporters to StKilda "home" supporters yesterday was embarrassing. I reckon the players notice it; good thing they are conditioned to avoiding forums like this.

Saint supporter since '62
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought the ratio of home Saints supporters to obnoxious navy blue twats was pretty good myself :lol: there again, I tend to become aware of no colour other than Red-White-&-Black at Saints games! I know ONE thing.... OUR crowd made plenty of noise!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
mullet
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I thought the ratio of home Saints supporters to obnoxious navy blue twats was pretty good myself :lol: there again, I tend to become aware of no colour other than Red-White-&-Black at Saints games! I know ONE thing.... OUR crowd made plenty of noise!
me too. They had a drum ... we didnt

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

For one, we get to read all of their misguided, disjointed opinions. And, they still call themselves supporters.

The ratio of Carlton "away" supporters to StKilda "home" supporters yesterday was embarrassing. I reckon the players notice it; good thing they are conditioned to avoiding forums like this.
Not from where I was sitting Trev. I went with my kids and a Carlton supporting mate. We are members but usually sit in general admission up on the 3rd level, or stand behind the seating on the ground level. On Saturday I was up on level 3 again, this time above the Carlton cheer squad behind the goals. All of the rows A-F right around the entire ground on level 3 are reserved for Carlton members reserved seats at away games and they were mostly empty - right around the ground. That was why all of those seats were empty - because Carlton supporters didn't turn up. And because we were sitting in the Carlton barrackers section, the noise coming from St Kilda supporters absolutely dwarfed the tinny cheer coming from the people around us. The booing from St Kilda supporters was extremely loud, and when Steele kicked the sealer the exhilaration from ten or so minutes before when Carlton hit the lead was magnified many times by a deafening roar from St. Kilda supporters and it it felt like it was directed right at the section we were sitting in. There were at least 2 St. Kilda supporters for every Carlton supporter on Saturday.
38,000 is not a bad crowd for a side which hasn't made finals for five seasons, and another team near the bottom of the ladder for the past couple of seasons.
North and Sydney only got 21,000 and they have both been regular finalists this decade. Be interesting to see how many we get against them this week.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.