What was said to Murphy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: What was said to Murphy?

By the way, get a load of this article in the Herald-Sun if you want a laugh (or cry)....

"SHOCKING new details have emerged surrounding the verbal abuse handed down by St Kilda players to Carlton captain Marc Murphy on Saturday."

"Murphy was verbally targeted by St Kilda players and although it is still not known what was actually said, it was considered a highly personal attack.

It was speculated that Murphy was subjected to taunts regarding a supposed relationship between AFL legend Wayne Carey and Marc’s wife, Jessie."

"“Just so everyone knows, I wasn’t part of any of that sledging. My name wasn’t brought up by any of the St Kilda players to Marc Murphy — that’s been confirmed by Marc and everyone,” Carey said."

"The sledging of Murphy sparked a melee between the two sides, and has cast St Kilda in a poor light in the aftermath.

Murphy refused to shake hands with the majority of the Saints player post-match."

So.....shocking new details have emerged that paint St Kilda in a bad light......but we don't know what those details are??

The details are that it was about Carey and Murphy's wife, but that's been confirmed to be untrue??

Gee whiz.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Whether Murphy was upset or not, is the least most important element to this issue.

Why on earth is anything that Murphy's wife did or didn't do relevant to anything? You can't sledge someone about the colour of their skin, even though it's true FFS.
Huh? If Marc wasn't upset he wouldn't have reacted and we wouldn't be talking about this so it's kinda relevant… why was he so upset?

Say the same thing to anyone else and they couldn't give a toss, so it's the context.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:"SHOCKING new details have emerged surrounding the verbal abuse handed down by St Kilda players to Carlton captain Marc Murphy on Saturday."
That is classic stuff right there.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Whether Murphy was upset or not, is the least most important element to this issue.

Why on earth is anything that Murphy's wife did or didn't do relevant to anything? You can't sledge someone about the colour of their skin, even though it's true FFS.
Huh? If Marc wasn't upset he wouldn't have reacted and we wouldn't be talking about this so it's kinda relevant… why was he so upset?

Say the same thing to anyone else and they couldn't give a toss, so it's the context.

The main 'issue' is that the context can't be used as an excuse for misogyny - whether the content is true or not.

I'd guarantee you that the campaigners who are lining up to pot the Saints about this don't care whether Murphy was upset or not - they care that 'repulsive' things were said about a chick by a bunch of dudes whilst beating their chests.

That's the issue.

And I agree with it. I'm not shocked or naive enough to thin kit doesn't happen every week, but I don't think it's cool or tough.

What I don't agree with though, is these things being included in the discussion:

Did St Kilda, as a club, make a conscious attempt to put Murphy off his game by repeatedly degrading his wife with misogynist and 'repulsive' slurs? We know they didn't.

Do St Kilda have a 'problem with women'? There's no evidence to suggest that it's any worse than the normal of disregard for chicks by most footballing types.

Does the AFL have an issue with misogyny? Yes. But I think they're trying to address it. For commercial reasons of course, but at least they're trying.

Should players be allowed to say anything on the field to upset another player? I couldn't really care less to be honest. 90% of footballers are A-Grade flogs, so why be shocked when they act like flogs to each other?

Should Murphy have sledged Carlisle whilst he was being read his last rights on the ground in a heap? Overreaction. Who cares.

Should Murphy have still shaken hands with Saints players after the siren? Overreaction. Who cares.

Should Murphy be allowed to sledge Carlisle about being a drug cheat and/or a coke rat?
See above.

Did the media have a right to publicly bring this into the public eye and humiliate Murphy and his wife in the process? No, they're f****** self-serving assholes. But we're part of the problem for buying their product so we can't complain about it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Awesome!
"SHOCKING new details have emerged..."
Not shocking, not new, and they haven't emerged!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Is it misogynistic to stir someone up by mentioning their partners ex?

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
dragit wrote:

The main 'issue' is that the context can't be used as an excuse for misogyny - whether the content is true or not.

I'd guarantee you that the campaigners who are lining up to pot the Saints about this don't care whether Murphy was upset or not - they care that 'repulsive' things were said about a chick by a bunch of dudes whilst beating their chests.

That's the issue.

And I agree with it. I'm not shocked or naive enough to thin kit doesn't happen every week, but I don't think it's cool or tough.

What I don't agree with though, is these things being included in the discussion:

Did St Kilda, as a club, make a conscious attempt to put Murphy off his game by repeatedly degrading his wife with misogynist and 'repulsive' slurs? We know they didn't.

Do St Kilda have a 'problem with women'? There's no evidence to suggest that it's any worse than the normal of disregard for chicks by most footballing types.

Does the AFL have an issue with misogyny? Yes. But I think they're trying to address it. For commercial reasons of course, but at least they're trying.

Should players be allowed to say anything on the field to upset another player? I couldn't really care less to be honest. 90% of footballers are A-Grade flogs, so why be shocked when they act like flogs to each other?

Should Murphy have sledged Carlisle whilst he was being read his last rights on the ground in a heap? Overreaction. Who cares.

Should Murphy have still shaken hands with Saints players after the siren? Overreaction. Who cares.

Should Murphy be allowed to sledge Carlisle about being a drug cheat and/or a coke rat?
See above.

Did the media have a right to publicly bring this into the public eye and humiliate Murphy and his wife in the process? No, they're f****** self-serving assholes. But we're part of the problem for buying their product so we can't complain about it.

how do you know what was said was mysoginistic?

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So still speculation????

Apparently what Stk players said was unacceptable, even though it is not known what was said... hilarious

I'll put 2 & 2 together then, if that's the case?...since no one dare comment on what was actually said.... the players probably called his wife a cheat or sl*t, and made reference to her background of rooting footballers?!

It's funny there are probably 300 or more WAGs and for some reason one is the subject of scrutiny?

Interesting how a random person can be subject to such rumour, if there is absolutely no truth to it?
Just pick a WAG and accuse her of promiscuity at random??
I find that odd....

Viking3
Club Player

how do you know what was said was mysoginistic?[/quote]

I don't think half the people commenting on this actually know what "misogyny" means.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Darth Vader
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:how do you know what was said was mysoginistic?
I don't think half the people commenting on this actually know what "misogyny" means.[/quote]
It means Tony Abbott looking at his watch while Julia Gillard was speaking.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Of course it depends on what was said.

I didn't hear it, and no one has revealed what was said, so I have no idea whether the comments were misogynistic or 'repulsive'.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
dragit wrote:

That's the issue.

See above.

how do you know what was said was mysoginistic?
I don't know it was, nor did I say it was.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: I don't think half the people commenting on this actually know what "misogyny" means.

For those that dont know:

Misogyny is the hatred of, contempt for, or prejudice against women or girls.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Even Murphy is over his own publicity now too. From the Hun:

MURPHY SPEAKS ON SLEDGING SAGA

CARLTON skipper Marc Murphy has praised St Kilda in the wake of the sledging saga.

Murphy, 29, on Monday night hit out at “hurtful” comments regarding his wife Jessie, as Saints coach Alan Richardson and captain Jarryn Geary admitted the team had “overstepped the mark” with its sledging in Saturday's fiery clash at Etihad Stadium.

Both Richardson and Geary made contact with the Blues captain, who maintained today that he wanted to leave the issue behind.

“It's been a pretty tough time for more so my family rather than me,” Murphy said at Ikon Park.

“I issued a statement ... (I'm) pretty keen to move on and look forward to being back playing some footy this weekend.

“We've been through a little bit over the last few days.

“St Kilda footy club have been good in getting contact with me, so I think both parties are pretty keen to move forward.
- LAUREN WOOD

Always loyal
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a joke.

The brawl started because Murphy sledged a prone Jake Carlisle ffs.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:What a joke.

The brawl started because Murphy sledged a prone Jake Carlisle ffs.
So we assume he wont be fined???? Much ado about nothing.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Hardly anyone knew of the rumour about your wife Mr Murphy.
But your feeding of the media ghouls has made it very public.
Congratulations, you should be given a special award for your stupidity.
Maybe your wife will give you that award for drawing the world's attention to the rumour.
That award may be a kick that leaves you needing an operation to the same part of the body as Jesse Hogan.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The_President
Club Player

ace wrote:Hardly anyone knew of the rumour about your wife Mr Murphy.
Maybe your wife will give you that award for drawing the world's attention to the rumour.
That award may be a kick that leaves you needing an operation to the same part of the body as Jesse Hogan.

The rumour has been very well known for some time

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What was said: "Your missus should sue her cosmetic surgeon"!

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:

The rumour has been very well known for some time
Yeah, ask Chippa, he can full you in on lots!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Pity Carlisle wasn't still a Bombers player. Methinks the outrage would be very different.

BOMBERS HERO SLEDGED WITH CRUEL DRUGS JIBE WHILE OUT COLD

DIGGER WATSON HEROICALLY INTERVENES

FOOTY WORLD IN UPROAR

"Bombers players shouldn't have to put up with this," says Jon Ralph. "Carlton needs to apologise."

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
No

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

whiskers3614 wrote:What was said: "Your missus should sue her cosmetic surgeon"!
That may have been intended as sage advice, not a sledge.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm sure his good wife will revel in the media attention. No doubt her Agent has been on the blower with a string of tabloids all day trying to arrange a nice little puff piece. Then she'll appear on the next Celebrity Get Me Out of Here or Big Brother.

Murphy's continued media commentary has been really dumb on his behalf and only serves his good wife.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Darth Vader wrote:
Viking3 wrote:how do you know what was said was mysoginistic?
I don't think half the people commenting on this actually know what "misogyny" means.
It means Tony Abbott looking at his watch while Julia Gillard was speaking.[/quote]

Or criticism of Julia Gllard or Hillary Clinton.