What was said to Murphy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: What was said to Murphy?

To the top wrote:The great irony and lesson from this is Number 3 from Carlton now complaining about comments on social media

The catalyst was Number 3 of Carlton approaching Carlisle as he did - and their is footage confirming his actions

The further catalyst was Number 3 of Carlton then complaining in the media that things were said to him on the ground - then expanding that complaint to include the name of his wife

Quite frankly I did not even know who the Carlton Captain was because I have zero interest in Carlton apart from St Kilda beating them when we play them and when my interest is the performance of St Kilda players exclusively

My knowledge of Number 3 of Carlton being married was non existent

Any knowledge of his wife was non existent

Didn't know anything about him or his wife full stop

Not interested - and still not interested

Except, courtesy of the actions of Number 3 of Carlton last Saturday and since I now have a knowledge of his marital status and the gossip his wife has attracted

For every action there is a reaction

If Number 3 of Carlton had not drawn attention to himself as he has both on the field of play last weekend and since in the media he would not be in the position he finds he and his wife in today - and not only today but for the future because of the matters in the public domain exclusively because of his actions

A lesson in life
Murphy had a choice
1. Leave the world wondering what was that all about and then the world forgets less than a 1 week later.
2. Blab.

Instead of keeping his mouth shut and leaving it on the field he opened up the opportunity for those very few who knew a false rumour to air it more widely. Social media has had a field day spreading the rumour.
And the news media desperate for a story beat the story through the roof.
Now the rumour is widespread as people dig to find out more.

The sledging on the field was for a few St Kilda players to own.
But Murphy putting your wife in the public spotlight of media and social media attention was 100% your own doing.
I am sure she appreciates your contribution.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... w5dkw.html

But speaking on Channel Seven's Talking Footy program, reporter Tom Browne said the sledging was "a two-way street".

"I understand Murph made some references to Carlisle in regards to the supplements and drugs issues which he has experienced recently," Browne said.

"Carlisle then chimed in again and that was pretty much it."

Browne said Carlisle, a former Essendon player who was caught taking drugs during a holiday in the US, was understood to be receiving the sledges about the drugs and supplements "almost weekly".

1. Carlisle served his time on the E'dope matter, thus earning the right to go about his workplace business sans harassment.
2. Nothing was prosecuted, ergo not proven, over the o/s social media stupidity. The club dealt with it as a contractual matter, end of.
3. Sam Mitchell was sanctioned for his 3/4 time injection mime vs E'dope. I thought it was excellent, as a humorous sledge, but the AFL chose to sanction Mitchell. No doubt the AFL will rationalise any comparison to Carlisle copping it, all the way under the rug. I doubt Carlisle would care.
4. The AFLPA have 'announced' they will devise a code of conduct. Will sledging a bloke for types 1. & 2. above 'inform' this new code of conduct? Goose and gander?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Well put, ToT. Carlton, a paragon of virtue? As John Dorman Elliott would say, "Pig's Aaaaaaaarse!"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Theres a few things i just want to get off my chest about this saga.

1. It makes no sense what so ever for any stkilda player to give M lip about duck..
Seriously none. I cant believe its got so much momentum when it makes no sense what so ever.
The only sledge that would make sense remotely regarding WC is
"Not even Duck has touched your wife and his touched everyones"
Its much more likely its to do with our own.

2. Jake Carlisle likely that tweet last night is just dumb dumb dumb. Does he not have a manager? Surely every single one of them would of been instructed to shut up shop. No comments, no word - just move on. Let the only reaction be an apology from the captain and a few questions for interviews already arranged..
and he goes home and likes a damn irrelevant tweet.
and then unlikes it.
Seriously STFU Jake.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: 4. The AFLPA have 'announced' they will devise a code of conduct
What happened to the time-honoured players' code that what is said on the field stays on the field?

Someone has blabbed about what was said and the political corrupt brigade has turned it into this massive s*** storm.

Who was the dobber? I suspect it came from Carlton trying to deflect from Murphy's unseemly actions.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 16 May 2017 11:20am, edited 2 times in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

dals_da_bomb wrote:Theres a few things i just want to get off my chest about this saga.

Well, spit it out then!!!!!

I won't take offence!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Sorry SC
I jumped the gun with my enter button!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Would have helped if someone actually tackled Murphy.
Noone could tackle him. Drove me nuts.

stonecold
SS Life Member

dals_da_bomb wrote:Sorry SC
I jumped the gun with my enter button!
Fair enough, looking forward to your post!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Would have helped if someone actually tackled Murphy.
Noone could tackle him. Drove me nuts.

Maybe our players didn't want to catch anything!!!!!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote: 4. The AFLPA have 'announced' they will devise a code of conduct
What happened to the time-honoured players' code that what is said on the field stays on the field?

Someone has blabbed about what was said and the political corrupt brigade has turned it into this massive s*** storm.

Who was the dobber? I suspect it came from Carlton trying to deflect from Murphy's unseemly actions.
Oh this will be interesting. we have seen how well the different degrees in suspending a player have worked. intentional, reckless blah blah

Of interest with this whole waste of time, Umpires heard nothing. Carlton FC have not come out all outraged over the "incident".

I still shake my head about Wayne Carey talkings about appropriate behaviour

HarryM
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

Exactly!

The game is turning into a whole bunch of sooks running to Teacher to dob someone in for being rude.

What was said to Murphy?

I couldn't care less what was said to him 'out on the field' and am proud of our players for taking no prisoners and sorting him out to be honest

About time we had a bunch of tough guys that are willing to stand up for players, Murphy the whinger has brought all this publicity upon himself IMO.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If it's not true, why did Murphy get so upset?

Just saying...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

It will be known as "Murphys Law" lol

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

It will be known as "Murphys Law" lol
Good one. :lol:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:If it's not true, why did Murphy get so upset?

Just saying...
I think this is the crux really…

Mum & Wag jokes/jibes would go on every single week between players… the problem with this one is that it is true.

If Murphy could control himself he would have just ignored the banter or laughed it off.

I wonder if that will be in the sledging code of conduct… you may say naughty things provided they aren't true and they aren't said to a soft little man.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Just saying...
Maybe Jake was upset too? Did anyone consider Jakes feelings? Apparently, according to Carey who appears to suddenly be the expert in the whole thing, is that the rule of thumb is if the player is offended then the sledge has gone too far. I mean apparently Murph started the sledging. If you have a think skin to certain topics maybe keep your mouth shut???

I laugh at all the former players looking seriously down the camera and moralising about this whole issue. No doubt whatever was said to Murphy was stupid, immature, false and said in the heat of the moment. The fascinating thing to me, is that he got so upset about it and apparently he's sick to death of people saying it. Whatever it was. I wonder if Jake is sick to death of being labelled a druggie and a cheat? These former players are almost evaluating everyone's sledges. It's like, 'I don't have a problem with someone saying that, but THAT's going too far.' Talk about subjectivity.

All the players involved have to look themselves in the mirror afterwards. I know when I played things would be said in the heat of the moment. If you had any respect for your opponent at all, you'd be straight over after the siren to shake their hand and make it clear that you went too far, win lose or draw. If that didn't happen you accept that you're thought of as a prick and move on.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Just saying...

Mum & Wag jokes/jibes would go on every single week between players… the problem with this one is that it is true.

If Murphy could control himself he would have just ignored the banter or laughed it off.

I wonder if that will be in the sledging code of conduct… you may say naughty things provided they aren't true and they aren't said to a soft little man.
Yep.

and if the Blues get to a final over the next few years lets see how the code of conduct works when everyone knows what gets to Murphy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

Just saying...
Maybe Jake was upset too? Did anyone consider Jakes feelings? Apparently, according to Carey who appears to suddenly be the expert in the whole thing, is that the rule of thumb is if the player is offended then the sledge has gone too far. I mean apparently Murph started the sledging. If you have a think skin to certain topics maybe keep your mouth shut???

I laugh at all the former players looking seriously down the camera and moralising about this whole issue. No doubt whatever was said to Murphy was stupid, immature, false and said in the heat of the moment. The fascinating thing to me, is that he got so upset about it and apparently he's sick to death of people saying it. Whatever it was. I wonder if Jake is sick to death of being labelled a druggie and a cheat? These former players are almost evaluating everyone's sledges. It's like, 'I don't have a problem with someone saying that, but THAT's going too far.' Talk about subjectivity.

All the players involved have to look themselves in the mirror afterwards. I know when I played things would be said in the heat of the moment. If you had any respect for your opponent at all, you'd be straight over after the siren to shake their hand and make it clear that you went too far, win lose or draw. If that didn't happen you accept that you're thought of as a prick and move on.
If that is what Wayne Carey thinks then what would he have thought about Anthony Stevens feelings. Did Wayne go too far? Oh he must of cos Anthony was upset. Seriously this guy is no expert on ethical behaviour and the media are all over him. Its like asking Ivan Milat for camping tips

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Anyway, Gillon's come out and said "move on". I doubt that will be enough for Caro, Gleeson, McClure et al. But at least he's spoken. And backed our response.

"McLACHLAN ON SLEDGING: 'SOMETIMES WE MAKE MISTAKES'

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan believes St Kilda has acted appropriately in the sledging saga as the league reaffirmed that it will not be investigating the matter, LAUREN WOOD reports.

Neither Carlton - which requested no investigation when asked if the club would be making a complaint - or St Kilda is keen to pursue the matter.

McLachlan said there is enough rules in the game without a player code of conduct for on-field slurs, and that there is already "a line". He said what St Kilda has done over the last 24 hours "is what we need". "My view is that we have plenty of rules," McLachlan said today.

"There is a line out there and I think generally it's not breached. I think when you have the leadership of the St Kilda Football Club from the coach and the captain saying 'we got it wrong', that's what we need.

"In the end, it's about people owning their behaviours and being accountable to it.

"Occasionally, our players get it wrong, and it sounds like they did on the weekend, but leadership is putting your hand up and saying you got it wrong and that's what they did. We've got plenty of rules. Sometimes we make mistakes and we've got to own them and that's what happened.
"

Always loyal
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Moods wrote:

Just saying...

If that is what Wayne Carey thinks then what would he have thought about Anthony Stevens feelings. Did Wayne go too far? Oh he must of cos Anthony was upset. Seriously this guy is no expert on ethical behaviour and the media are all over him. Its like asking Ivan Milat for camping tips
Nice one, mullet :D And what of Carey's cackling enabler, Sam McClure? Carey has a go at him and all the little sychophant, slime ball could do was to pretend to crack up laughing. Logie nomination for worst acting performance of the year coming up. Carey lecturing us on morals and ethics. What a world we live in!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Just saying...
Utterly irrelevant.

You're missing the entire point of this 'issue'.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Like those journos and politicians who feel zero remorse for peddling the Saddam-has-WMD myth, a lot of so-called footy journalists
are yet to apologize for smearing St Kilda as a scandal-prone club when:

* The St Kilda schoolgirl was exposed as a liar -- and no one apologised.
* Andrew Lovett didn't play a single game in St Kilda colours -- and was found not guilty.
* Ricky Nixon, whatever he did or didn't do, was an agent representing players from many clubs.
* Milne was crucified for years over a complex, contested and bungled case.

Yet now, out of the goodness of their spotless hearts, these same "journalists" line up to pour venom on the club all over again, in the
process advertising Marc Murphy's marital anxieties that we otherwise wouldn't know (or care) about.
Hear, Hear.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

"I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man. Not now, not ever"

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/wayne- ... 66812.html

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Just saying...

No it's not the crux at all.

Whether Murphy was upset or not, is the least most important element to this issue.

As usual, when a 'scandal' breaks, about 15 different topics and issues are rolled up into one big ball of outrage.

Did St Kilda, as a club, make a conscious attempt to put Murphy off his game by repeatedly degrading his wife with misogynist and 'repulsive' slurs?

Do St Kilda have a 'problem with women'?

Does the AFL have an issue with misogyny?

Should players be allowed to say anything on the field to upset another player?

Should Murphy have sledged Carlisle whilst he was being read his last rights on the ground in a heap?

Should Murphy have still shaken hands with Saints players after the siren?

Should Murphy be allowed to sledge Carlisle about being a drug cheat and/or a coke rat?

Did the media have a right to publicly bring this into the public eye and humiliate Murphy and his wife in the process?

Then there's the issue you guys are talking about, somewhere down here in terms of relevance.

Why on earth is anything that Murphy's wife did or didn't do relevant to anything? You can't sledge someone about the colour of their skin, even though it's true FFS.