Billings arrives!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings arrives!

Was great today. But will gradually develop an AFL build and improve fitness to become elite .

Nee!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the boy did good..we knew he would

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:the boy did good..we knew he would

Always loyal
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Only the third Saint to kick 5 and get 30 plus possessions..Monty and the doc the other two

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Joe Bloggs wrote:Only the third Saint to kick 5 and get 30 plus possessions..Monty and the doc the other two
That's a fairly impressive stat in Saintly history

Always loyal
saint-stu
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Cmon man... are we jumping on him now he's played a quality game. He's been roundly criticised for underachieving up until recently? Seriously, four weeks ago we wanted him dropped (most won't admit to that) and he was struggling.
They won't because its utter bull-crap. There is only one poster who is that negative. JB was one of the strongest performers in the preseason. He dropped off a bit once the season started but played consistently well since. Just needed to straighten his kicking.

1ac46a38
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic, I'm not sure that's accurate... up until today, I've argued against the suggestion Weller has been poor.

He had an appalling first half vs Melb but was very good most games thereafter... but was woeful tonight.

So, not entirely correct

saint-stu
Club Player

Zed wrote:Confidence has always been Billings issue. It won't surprise me if his wayward goal kicking becomes less and less frequent. He no longer has that panicked look when he is shooting for goal. Also good to see him play HFF which is his spot. Whilst I don't mind if he has the occasional run on a wing I really don't think he is suited to being a true midfielder.
Agree with this. He seemed extremely confident in his first year. Would walk back and kick very difficult goals like he knew he would kick it. Perhaps the confidence issue came from playing in positions he's not used to or completely comfortable with?

1ac46a38
saintbob
SS Life Member

Has been very good in the last 3 weeks, looks like he is actually really starting to enjoy playing AFL.

It may be totally coincidental, but Billings form has picked up since his mate Sinclair has come back into the team.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Skeptic, I'm not sure that's accurate... up until today, I've argued against the suggestion Weller has been poor.

He had an appalling first half vs Melb but was very good most games thereafter... but was woeful tonight.

So, not entirely correct
If I've misremembered BM I apologise

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

You know folks, this is definitely NOT the time for JB fans to say: "I told you so" OR for the " JB haters" to say: " it was a fluke" but instead it's a time to celebrate a fine performance by one of OUR boys, in an overall good TEAM effort! Go Saints! GO! ( to hell with the rest !)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ace
Saintsational Legend

Can't be sure that the umps will give Billings 3 votes.
They don't keep a count on goals scored.
They work on impressions they gathered.
5 goals may not have registered with them.
I remember Tony Lockett scoring 9 goals in a few games and only getting the booby prize from the umps.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
one point
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:
Zed wrote:Confidence has always been Billings issue. It won't surprise me if his wayward goal kicking becomes less and less frequent. He no longer has that panicked look when he is shooting for goal. Also good to see him play HFF which is his spot. Whilst I don't mind if he has the occasional run on a wing I really don't think he is suited to being a true midfielder.
Agree with this. He seemed extremely confident in his first year. Would walk back and kick very difficult goals like he knew he would kick it. Perhaps the confidence issue came from playing in positions he's not used to or completely comfortable with?
I think his injured shin had a lot to do with his drop in confidence and his inability to kick through the ball

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Actually it was a freakishly good performance. Only 4 other Saints players in our history have had 30 posies and kicked 5 goals

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
citywest

Billings has not arrived yet.

silverhalo
Club Player

I thought it was PLEASING

The_President
Club Player

He's kicked 36.45 in his first 50 games.

Imagine how good he'll be when he starts kicking accurately.

silverhalo
Club Player

Can all the doubters please lay off the kid now and stop all the comparisons with Bontempelli. He is an absolute class act and just as valuable as Bontempelli, just a different type of player. He's obviously taking longer to reach that champion status but there's no doubt he'll get there.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:He's kicked 36.45 in his first 50 games.

Imagine how good he'll be when he starts kicking accurately.
That would be yesterday?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
RODOS
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Cmon man... are we jumping on him now he's played a quality game. He's been roundly criticised for underachieving up until recently? Seriously, four weeks ago we wanted him dropped (most won't admit to that) and he was struggling. Has built over the last few weeks and had a BOG today.

What I mean by good... is a good AFL player, not someone who plays a good or even great game. A good AFL player plays a 7/10 game most weeks and the odd 5/6 or 8/9. Jack Steven is not a good AFL player, he's better than that... he's a gun. At the moment Seb Ross is moving out of that category as is Dylan.

Jack is not as fit as it takes to play at high levels consistently. His aerobic fitness is relatively average for a midsize/small afl footballer. That's why he starts well in games and drifts outs, it's why he's better early in quarters and fades late, it's why his kicking can deteriorate late in games or quarters.

It's actually a good thing, because it's an area that will improve and help him deliver his talent more consistently.

Tonight he was BOG in one game

I'd like him to win a B&F
His fitness in part is very good. His ability to get to contests and sprint from one end to the other is fantastic, but yes he does fade a little. in two years time that will be a 40 touch 7 goal game :mrgreen:

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Isn't he playing in a totally new position last 2 weeks ..seems to suit him on the forward line rather than the back flank.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

That old saying... it takes around 50 games of league footy before a player feels at home at the level.... Well J.Billings seemed to arrive right on the 50th match.... 30 touches and 5 goals... lethal Leigh Matthews style. The kid can play.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Actually it was a freakishly good performance. Only 4 other Saints players in our history have had 30 posies and kicked 5 goals
Just out if interest, SP, who are the others? George Young, Russell Greene, Roo?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joey had 38 and kicked 5 against Sydney I think?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:He played well, when he gets AFL fit and hardened he'll be good
He'll be more than good at that stage.